Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long do you tumble loaded pistol rounds to remove case lube?

Fullauto_Shooter

I recently started using a small amount of case lube on pistol cases just prior to loading - it really makes the 650 run more smoothly with less pressure required to operate the handle. How long do you tumble loaded pistol rounds to remove the case lube? I've heard some say they just shoot it without removing the lube, but I've noticed that the small film of lube keeps some rounds from easily dropping into the case gauge.

I've heard, in the past, that it's not a good idea to tumble loaded rounds too long because it can break down the powder and affect burn rates. I just want to run them long enough to remove the lube.

Any / all feedback welcome!

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

I use a little One Shot prior to running the cases through the press and have never worried about tumbling it off. No problems to date

this is my procedure also.

how much lube are you guys putting on your cases that you have to tumble your rnds?

I started tumbling after loading because I gauge every single round. After a few hundred the gauge would start rejecting rounds and I found miniscule particles of grime were sticking to the cases and building up over time. I now take them straight to the tumbler and buff the small amount of lube off. Now I can gauge all day and nothing builds up.

PLUS the one shot is like wax! They are nice and bright after the short tumble.

I started tumbling after loading because I gauge every single round. After a few hundred the gauge would start rejecting rounds and I found miniscule particles of grime were sticking to the cases and building up over time. I now take them straight to the tumbler and buff the small amount of lube off. Now I can gauge all day and nothing builds up.

PLUS the one shot is like wax! They are nice and bright after the short tumble.

I do the same thing - case gauge every round - and also noticed a build up of lube residue that affected gauge results. I ran the rounds for 30 min and it worked like a charm. I use the Dillon Case lube, but sounds like a lot are having very good luck with the One Shot. Thanks to everyone for the info.

I don't. Pressure isn't enough to cause a problem. Most don't even use case lube, since we have carbide dies. Back in the '60s and '70s, removing the lube wasn't even talked about except for rifles shooting at over 60ksi and, usually, with rear locking lugs (like SMLEs, as I remember). Since then, all warnings have changed to cover everything since so many sue for much over so little.

Don't like OneShot. It works, but it is thick/viscous. Much prefer Lee (diluted with water in spray bottle) or Frankford Arsenal spray (Dillon is probably the same). Spray in plastic bag, toss in some cases, tumble them around, remove and let cases dry for about 2 minutes.

I use a little lanolin rubbed onto my hands. I then run my hands through my clean brass bucket.

I load up 500 rounds at a time. Then throw the brass in the tumbler and reload my primer tubes. Once the 5 tubes are loaded I shut down the tumbler.

I use a little One Shot prior to running the cases through the press and have never worried about tumbling it off. No problems to date

Same here.

Typical lanolin based lube for rifle and tumbled off, but a short mist of One Shot aerosol in the 'ready to load' pistol brass bin + shake works well, no de-lube.

15-20 mins for de-lube of rifle cases..

Edited by rtp

Agreed. 15-30 minutes or so. FWIW there is a lot of discussion about tumbling loaded rounds and breaking down powders, causing explosions etc. Pretty much all been debunked.

Sarge,

how many rounds do u tumble at a time?

Agreed. 15-30 minutes or so. FWIW there is a lot of discussion about tumbling loaded rounds and breaking down powders, causing explosions etc. Pretty much all been debunked.

Sarge,

how many rounds do u tumble at a time?

i only have the small Dillon tumbler so I generally only do about 250 at a time or so. Loaded rounds are pretty heavy in that poor tumbler

If you believe this study of tumbling live rounds for 205 hours there is no breakdown of powder.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/989047_Tumble_live_ammo_Tumbler_Oandapos__thruth_EXTREME_edition__200hour_torture_test__UPDATE__fired_rounds_in_OP.html

I do it for about 20 minutes with crushed walnuts to remove Dillon case lube. I have no fear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...