Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

30-06 in Dillon Super 1050 ?

It would work, with the caveat that you will probably have to shorten the seat and crimp dies. 6.5x55 and 7x57 might not need shortening. You would have to set it up and test it with the cartridge OAL you wish to load to see.

The Super 1050 conversion kit for 30-06 is higher in price, and includes the modified die set. When you order a Super 1050 in 30-06, it comes with modified 30-06 dies installed.

The normal 30-06 die set, #10840, is not modified for use on the Super 1050.

The Super 1050 conversion kit for 30-06 is higher in price, and includes the modified die set. When you order a Super 1050 in 30-06, it comes with modified 30-06 dies installed.

The normal 30-06 die set, #10840, is not modified for use on the Super 1050.

Glad I ran across this thread. I had no idea there were two different sets of dies. Is there a way to purchase just the "modified" dies? I run a 1050 and already load .308. There is a lot of overlap in caliber conversion parts for these two, is there not?

Shoot, glad I read this post. Got a Remington 700 in .30-06 for Christmas and ordered what I thought were all the necessary parts to start loading .30-06 on my 1050 the next day. I'm still loading a big batch of .44mag so I haven't setup the machine for -06 yet. Since I already load .308 I didn't buy or even look at the caliber conversion kit and just ordered the normal die set. D'oh!!

Shoot, glad I read this post. Got a Remington 700 in .30-06 for Christmas and ordered what I thought were all the necessary parts to start loading .30-06 on my 1050 the next day. I'm still loading a big batch of .44mag so I haven't setup the machine for -06 yet. Since I already load .308 I didn't buy or even look at the caliber conversion kit and just ordered the normal die set. D'oh!!

Had I not found this thread, I would have done the same thing.

Sounds like the seat and crimp dies for the 1050 are shorter. Probably took some off the bottom of the dies. My guess is the modified "1050" dies would work on other presses also. Not sure why the two different versions.

I can't speak for Dillon, but I imagine they would exchange them for you.

Sounds like the seat and crimp dies for the 1050 are shorter. Probably took some off the bottom of the dies. My guess is the modified "1050" dies would work on other presses also. Not sure why the two different versions.

I can't speak for Dillon, but I imagine they would exchange them for you.

Unfortunately they would not. Customer support on the phone stated that the modified die set is only sold as part of the $200 caliber conversion kit, no matter that I don't need anything out of the kit other than the dies. Since I have not used the dies I ordered yet, they set up an RMA and will ship me a modified size die only in exchange, refunding me the difference. I was instructed to see if my .308 seating and crimping dies are short enough to allow the case to pass, and if not I need to remove as much as 1/4" or more from each die body. Frankly, I don't have the tools or know-how to do something like that. Kind of annoyed with the whole process.

• 1 month later...

They are available, but you need to phone in for them. The size die is unaltered.

I called in and the rep refused to sell just the modified dies. I don't want to pay for the full conversion set since I already have the other parts. Your post here makes it sound like I can buy just the dies..what to do?

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone following this thread, I finally reached a resolution with Dillon. It turns out that the "modified" .30-06 die set for the 1050 consists of the normal .30-06 size die and the .308 seat and crimp dies. It does not contain .30-06 dies that have been modified!

So if you already have the dies for .308, the only additional die you need is the sizing die.