Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with new open build hybrid barrel

Rye

I had my gunsmith build me an open pistol using SV hybrid barrel with 6 ribbed and 3 port and using an a-zone comp. When being racked the slide and frame slides smoothly. However, whenever I shoot it the slide doesn't seem to batter all the way back to cock hammer and to eject and put the next round to chamber. My gunsmith kept fiddling with it but with no luck. Anyone can think of or may know what's causing all these? Thanks for the help in advance. It's a 38sc and using a major load.

Edited by Rye

8lbs spring, no mag rubbing since I fired it with just a bullet in the chamber, no mag and did not extracted it and did not even move the slide. Maybe just a little movement. I don't know how to find out about the timing on the gun? Any test or anything I should look at? Thanks!

I hate to say this if your gunsmith dosent know. You have a bigger problem. I had a local gunsmith make an Open Gun many years ago. It solved my problem. I would only let known gunsmiths work on my pistols. I have found Open Guns are a different animal. You get what you pay for. If his name is not known good luck. Some are very great gunsmiths.They soon become known. But If one does not know what the problem is I am sorry for you.

Another question is what is the ammo you are using?

The loads I used in my non-hybrid gun would not run my new hybrid gun. I would not assume that because they made major in your old gun that they will make the same PF in the new. At least this is what my experience has shown. But that is not to say it's not a problem with the gun itself.

My pf is at 170"ish. I reload. My other open is hybrid with 3 port 4 rib and azone comp and it works. I'll try what shadow is asking. Eric, I'll see carlo this weekend prolly ask him and show the gun to him. Thanks

Rye-

I was asking because I thought perhaps you don't have enough clearance between the end of the hybrid rib and the slide, thus not allowing the barrel to drop and unlock from the slide. The timing tests are available on the schueman barrel website.

There are all kinds of possibilities. The timing that was already mentioned is quite possible and most likely. I had one gun with a very small burr in the frame where the lower lug fits and it did the same thing you are describing. Heavy mainsprings can do the same thing, especially with a heavy barrel and comp. The grip could be loose. The chamber in the barrel could be loose, allowing the case to expand too much. It could be a combination of all of these. It's usually more than one factor that contributes in my experience.

The fit of the link pin to the profile that it rides on as it pivots on the lower lugs can cause binding if it isn't correct. Also, the barrel can bind on the inside lower area of the lugs on the slide if the ramp slot in the frame is cut back to far.

You said your gunsmith built this gun for you. Did it ever run since you got it back from him? Or is this the way you received it after you paid him for his services? If this is the way you received it i see a big problem in that because i'm sure a gun that doesn't work isn't exactly what you paid for. You mentioned he kept fiddling with it but can't figure it out. If he gave it back to you working like that it seems as if he gave you an unfinished gun. I'd be looking for some type of a refund to take it to another smith.

I can't imagine doing a custom gun up for somebody and not testing it before delivery. If the customer has a handload in mind, I have him bring me a couple boxes to tune with before I let him touch the gun. EVERY custom AR we build goes to the range for testing before customer gets the pickup call. On open pistols I have seen everything from an oversized spring guide binding against the coils to a comp body touching the front face of the slide when the barrel tips. With an aggressively comped gun, recoil springs can get so light it takes basically no additional binding to make it not work. A .38SC major load that cant even recoil far enough to cock the hammer with an 8 lb spring typically indicates a significant bind on either the comp end or the barrel feet. Either case makes the 'smith suspect, especially if he didn't even take the time to test it before delivery. If I had a gun come back that I built, I would not give it back to the customer until it worked, even if I lost 30 hours on the job. Can't comprehend giving it back to the customer 'til I knew it was right. :huh: That is where your reputation is made or lost right there. Did he admit that he was in over his head, or what was his response?

Being able to change the link from 1, 2 then 3 is a very bad sign. You should not be able to do this on a properly fitted barrel.

I suspect poor barrel fitting.

Also, what Openclassterror said, all builds must be tested before delivery.

If your smith can't fix it, move on to another coz he probably won't know how to fix it.

Check the disconnector.

I got that same problem just a couple of days ago but my open 2011 ran reliable previously, then started w/ misfeeds, then failure to eject and finally the empty shell stuck in the chamber. The slide wont even open to eject/feed. Checked the usual culprits and more, for hours. No respite. Late today I was about to give up and bring it to my 'smith, I absentmindedly pushed on the protruding disconnector w/ the hammer cocked on a disassembled frame/slide. It felt just a little bit gritty. Still I thought this cant stop the slide from racking in recoil. But w/ nothing left more to do, I detail stripped the innards and found dirt/soot in the parts where the sear and disconnector should slide freely. Cleaned everything, reassembled and test fired. The gun ran reliably. Shot a little less than a hundred w/o any hiccup.

In retrospect, the disconnector although just a bit sticky when pushed vertically down w/ least effort, the slide needs more energy to push it down as it moves horizontally. Just a bit of resistance can kill the momentum of the slide going rearwards. Seemed farfetched to me at first that I never looked but w/ the direction of forces acting on the parts, its possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. The gun is working now. However, the problem was the fitting if the barrel. SV barrel as compared to schuemann has a different cut from the side of the rib all the way to the lugs. It seems that with SV you need to take more material for it not to rub or hit. If you push down the muzzle it does move but when racked while in that position that's when we felt the barrel stopping the slide from moving. Thanks everyone!