Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Homemade "load 2" shell caddys

I'm about to attend my first real 3 gun shoot next month at rockcastle. I don't really have the spare coin (or permission haha) to buy shell caddys. After looking at some of the options online, I decided to make my own. I bought some of those broom clippy things you put in your closet and riveted them to a plate with some leather straps to attach to the MOLLE on an old leg rig I had. I added gorilla glue between the clips to help the sturdiness of them. Right now the leg rig holds 10 and I had 2 left over to make a belt mounted +2 which is mounted to an sturdy aluminum strip. I put it on and made a fast lap around the house. They all stayed in and I didn't notice any shifting in the shells. Got back in the house and loaded 11 shells in my stoeger in no time at all. I can't wait to try this thing out for real.

B8E1CF7C-BE08-4B1F-B9FA-0B8D5874E768-464

F08F793D-8CE7-4D79-89E7-CF7B6FDEE296-464

If you can get that rig up on your chest, you might be happier. Much easier work-space with hands staying closer to loading port for both strong-hand and weak-hand 'load 2'. There are some inexpensive MOLLE panels out there with shoulder straps and a belt for under $20.

Edited by KY1911

If you can get that rig up on your chest, you might be happier. Much easier work-space with hands staying closer to loading port for both strong-hand and weak-hand 'load 2'. There are some inexpensive MOLLE panels out there with shoulder straps and a belt for under $20.

I have a couple of plate carriers that I considered mounting it to, but I was concerned about having to go prone and them falling out. I kind of like that they're out of the way, but still easily in reach on my leg. Knowing my luck, if they were on my chest, I'd run my arm across it and knock them all out while shooting haha

Nice. I was just looking into doing something like this. Did a quick google search and found this thread. What size clips did you use? I noticed that there are large and small clips. I believe the large are 1 to 1 1/2 ".

I used the medium clips. I don't remember the actual size of them though

I'm going to make some belt loops out of Kydex. The plan is to remove the metal tubing that runs the same way as the shell and just leave some small pieces where it attaches to the horizontal tubing. This will make the shells ride higher giving me more room to grab the shells. I'll add some tubing on the rear of the caddie to support it and to attach the belt loops. That' the plan for now. We'll see as the tweaking continues.