Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Homemade "load 2" shell caddys

Here is my contraption, put together a while ago using plastic clips for electrical conduit. I had to sand them a bit as they were too tight to start with but they work pretty well so far.

Edit. Ok turns out I don't have enough posts to link to the pics on imgur. If anyone would like to see pm me, or perhaps someone could post the pics up for me.

Edited by Nzshooter1

Here is my contraption, put together a while ago using plastic clips for electrical conduit. I had to sand them a bit as they were too tight to start with but they work pretty well so far.

Edit. Ok turns out I don't have enough posts to link to the pics on imgur. If anyone would like to see pm me, or perhaps someone could post the pics up for me.

I like it! :cheers:

How much were the clips? Any PN on them?

I've got a vest using the 'broom handle clips' and it's not bad, but the width of them makes it a bit rough for the way I want to grab them out...resulting in a bit of blood now and then, and not so possible ego ever consider grabbing quads.

With the clips above, I'd wager you want to spread them further apart in height, unless you have really small hands.

Are you going to mount to a vest, or belt via Tek-loc or other?

I like it! :cheers:

How much were the clips? Any PN on them?

I've got a vest using the 'broom handle clips' and it's not bad, but the width of them makes it a bit rough for the way I want to grab them out...resulting in a bit of blood now and then, and not so possible ego ever consider grabbing quads.

With the clips above, I'd wager you want to spread them further apart in height, unless you have really small hands.

Are you going to mount to a vest, or belt via Tek-loc or other?

Well for me the clips were free as I had a box in my work van that never got used. But last time I checked they were about $2NZ or so each. Sorry not sure what you mean by PN. They are made for 20mm electrical conduit, I found different brands had varying degrees of success, one lot worked right out of the box and the others needed a bit of sanding to loosen up.

http://www.rexel.com.au/products/CONDUIT-CLIP-20MM-GREY_19-20G_621514.html

Haha I do have smallish hands but I might have to experiment a bit now that I have proven the concept. At the moment I'm using teklocs to mount to my belt which works well for me as l load with my weak hand.

Thanks to therealkoop for posting the photos.

Edited by Nzshooter1

Posting pics on behalf of Nzshooter:

2dax8ye.jpg

1zz6pu9.jpg

Those are cool clips. How does the gap between each fit the fingers? Are you planning to mount that on a belt a Tek-Lok or some such attachment? I may have to give those a try. I bet a little removal of material between clips might make it quad-able....maybe. I just love ingenuity of 3Gun DYI.

Posting pics on behalf of Nzshooter:

Those are cool clips. How does the gap between each fit the fingers? Are you planning to mount that on a belt a Tek-Lok or some such attachment? I may have to give those a try. I bet a little removal of material between clips might make it quad-able....maybe. I just love ingenuity of 3Gun DYI.

Already using a teklok to mount on my belt. I don't find the gap to be a problem, but like all things it can be improved. One of the guys I shoot with has been making some mounts out of alloy that are attached in 2s or 4s and can be rotated a bit more easily.

Nzshooter, I found the pvc clips on Amazon, 10 clips for 3.60. Ordered 20 clips. What did you use to mount the clips? Looks like pvc.

The back plate is where I started getting really inventive. I couldn't find any kind of plastic solid enough for my liking, so I used a bit of 100mm plumbing pipe that I found in the workshop. I cut it in half, heated it with a heat gun and flattened it out between a couple of bits of steel plate I found. After a few goes at it, it was flat enough to work.

I'm sure someone can find a better alternative and I am looking forward to seeing how I can make mine better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My little chest rig using the 20mm clips.

Right now its spaced out 1/4" and aI really spread it out to see how it will work.

I'll be moving everything closer and seeing if I can grind some and get them tight enough to quad load.

I normally shoot Open with a Mag fed gun. But with a few buddys yelling "cheater" I picked up a Stoeger and needed a cheap way to hold shells.

I'll put them in their place then use the gun and chest rig as a loaner. To lend to guys with AR and Pistol and no shotgun who want to try 3 gun.

besides, it gives me something to build.

20140318_1737031024x768_zps3e63e0fb.jpg

20140318_1737211024x768_zpsd6df5bfc.jpg

Edited by ToysRUs

• 2 months later...

I'm about to attend my first real 3 gun shoot next month at rockcastle. I don't really have the spare coin (or permission haha) to buy shell caddys. After looking at some of the options online, I decided to make my own. I bought some of those broom clippy things you put in your closet and riveted them to a plate with some leather straps to attach to the MOLLE on an old leg rig I had. I added gorilla glue between the clips to help the sturdiness of them. Right now the leg rig holds 10 and I had 2 left over to make a belt mounted +2 which is mounted to an sturdy aluminum strip. I put it on and made a fast lap around the house. They all stayed in and I didn't notice any shifting in the shells. Got back in the house and loaded 11 shells in my stoeger in no time at all. I can't wait to try this thing out for real.

B8E1CF7C-BE08-4B1F-B9FA-0B8D5874E768-464

F08F793D-8CE7-4D79-89E7-CF7B6FDEE296-464

I'm about to attend my first real 3 gun shoot next month at rockcastle. I don't really have the spare coin (or permission haha) to buy shell caddys. After looking at some of the options online, I decided to make my own. I bought some of those broom clippy things you put in your closet and riveted them to a plate with some leather straps to attach to the MOLLE on an old leg rig I had. I added gorilla glue between the clips to help the sturdiness of them. Right now the leg rig holds 10 and I had 2 left over to make a belt mounted +2 which is mounted to an sturdy aluminum strip. I put it on and made a fast lap around the house. They all stayed in and I didn't notice any shifting in the shells. Got back in the house and loaded 11 shells in my stoeger in no time at all. I can't wait to try this thing out for real.

B8E1CF7C-BE08-4B1F-B9FA-0B8D5874E768-464

F08F793D-8CE7-4D79-89E7-CF7B6FDEE296-464

Ok this is why I think 3 gun is really cool. I hope *please* that it doesn't get taken over by rules that insist on expensive gear thanks for posting !!!