Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 lr ammo availability , not

Anyone have a clue as to what's going on? we've had many ammo scares in the past and I don't recall any of them impacting 22 ammo very much if at all. I know it's not the distributors, Their price list hasn't changed, they just have nothing to sell. So where is it all going?

I think it is like the powder supply. Remington is spending a number of millions to enlarge their plant in Lonoke, Arkansas (about 20 miles east of Little Rock) and supposedly all the other mfrs are running at 101%.

There are a lot of people who have purchased .22s in the last few years and I would guess that when the ammo is hard to find/get they tend to buy more than normal when they find some somewhere. Again, this is similar to the powder and primer situations.

I heard the doomsday preppers are buying it all.

Of course you can get it if you are willing to pay through the nose for it.

I've heard that theory and I can see some sense in it. Don't think they were that noticeable the last few scares. Now they have tv shows. Nix on paying through the nose. I can shoot 9mm cheaper.

The prices at the gun show today were still way out of line. Nobody had a ton for sale but the cheapest bulk pack was $60. Saw one guy who had CCI Stingers for $20/50. I just picked up 3 boxes at Wal-Mart the night before for $20.96 with tax.

I heard the doomsday preppers are buying it all.

Of course you can get it if you are willing to pay through the nose for it.

I've heard that theory and I can see some sense in it. Don't think they were that noticeable the last few scares. Now they have tv shows. Nix on paying through the nose. I can shoot 9mm cheaper.

I agree. When I can shoot my 9mm reloads for the same or less than a box of .22's, why bother with the rimfire? Production, profit, and what the market will bear is at work. I have also heard it is a low profit item and the beancounters probably had a hand in what gets the most attention. I don't know about all the companies, but some of that equipment is decades old and has evidently been okay until now. It will take a long time for upgrades and new building and equipment to get to the point they can make ammo and it lands on the shelf.

Had to go to town this a.m. for water softener salt so went by Wal Mart and scored three 550 boxes of .22 for 19 and changes per box. They also had couple several cases of Tula in 9, 40 and 45.

I just happened to go into a Malwart at the right time, 3 weeks ago. They let me have 3, 225 round boxes @ 19 dollars and change each. First 22LR I have been able to purchase since 2012.

As others have mentioned, it has been available at every gun show I attended this winter . . . $60 ~ $65 for 325 rounds.

So judging by the last two posts the prices also vary wildly at Walmart? both paid $19 but one guy got 550 rounds and reshoot got 225 (probably meant 325) for the same price?

Depends on the brand...40gr lead 550 bulk pack versus 325 pack of CCI Mini-mags perhaps?

My shop ran out of CCI Standard between Christmas and New Year, bumped into the guys at CCI at he Shot Show. He said "without checking the numbers they are making 22lr faster now than they have for the last 10 years, they currently produce 50% more than they did 3 years ago and could stop taking orders and still not catch up until 2016."

• 8 months later...

So judging by the last two posts the prices also vary wildly at Walmart? both paid $19 but one guy got 550 rounds and reshoot got 225 (probably meant 325) for the same price?

Re: quantities. Since 22lr got scare, I've seen some odd quantities. Yes, even boxes of 225. Strange but true.

My shop ran out of CCI Standard between Christmas and New Year, bumped into the guys at CCI at he Shot Show. He said "without checking the numbers they are making 22lr faster now than they have for the last 10 years, they currently produce 50% more than they did 3 years ago and could stop taking orders and still not catch up until 2016."

People forget that ammo sold here is a world commodity, it's not just made in US. Our ammo supply used to be infused with tons of cheap ammo from overseas like Sellier + Bellott, Wolf, Tulah, Brown Bear and others. Most of that simply vanished for a long time because so much of their output has been diverted to supplying ammo to feed the various wars. There also have been times when US ammo makers have been "appropriated" for MIL contracts although they can't talk about it. But when you look at the whole picture, not just one or two US makers, the total supply of ammo available to the public is down and that means shortages.

Been finding it in stock lately! But stay away from the cheap bulk packs. I went through one a couple months ago and had a lot of problems. Talked to the Mfg of my gun since I thought it was the gun and they said to only stick to the high velocity right now as the cheapest stuff is coming out pretty bad. I haven't had a hiccup since sticking with winchester m22 or the federal automatch. Both are still quite a bit cheaper than cci mini mags.

Our local range has had it in stock for a couple of weeks. Price is $80 for a box of 500. Had to laugh, at first they posted a sign of "limited quantities" but at those prices, they are just gathering dust. Not exactly flying off the shelf.

Edited by bountyhunter

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! There is a place on Eastern Long Island called Survivability Services International on 112 Maple Lane Bridgehampton NY and they have a large quantity of .22 long rifle ammunition.

They have Remington Value Pack 525 rounds of Golden Bullet plated hollow point ammunition for $53 a box or $636 for a case of 12 boxes (6300 rounds)

They currently have over 40 cases of it.

When I asked one of the founders how they got that much .22 ammo he said "I don't know...lucky I guess."

They currently have NO restriction on how much anyone can buy at one time.

I think they also have a web page too.

Phone number is 631-204-8110

I snatched some up and told my friends about it.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Midway has both Blazer and CCI Standard velocity LRN bricks right now...

Limit of 2 bricks per purchase/per day.

Ready, set, go!

I love will-call. Oh, guess that should be in the love/hate forums - sorry. :devil:

I heard that 22 ammo is a very low profit item for the manufacturers and is at the bottom of there priority list.

That's it. The major international makers that used to flood the US with cheap ammo (Sellier+Belott, Wolf, Brown Bear, Tulah etc) are being eaten up supplying to war usage so a major percentage of ammo is gone. US makers produce what makes them the most money. They won't invest the $$$ to increase capacity because they think it's transitional, not permanent. They are running at 100% capacity but not investing for increased capacity.