Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor Range and Mag Changes

ArmdCtzn

I don't have a lot of experience competing on an indoor range. Fortunately there are plenty of outdoor ranges around here. But, I will be, and it just hit me that I will be dropping mags onto a concrete floor.

This doesn't seem good. I really don't want to have to retain them, and I'm sure that in the heat of battle I will revert to my normal habit of letting them hit the floor. So, what do you do?

thanks

Randy

For the last year to 15 months I've been dropping STI mags with Dawson basepads on concrete floors,,,,,haven't had any issues or damage and I shoot almost exclusively indoors/on concrete.

Worse is rocky base. I was practicing for the Desert Classic and dropped a ncouple of magazines that still had 6-8 bullets left in them. I noticed when I got home that there a sizeable dent in one of the Dawson pads, where it found the sharp end of a rock. On another one it had a large nick on the edge that would go against the stop in the mag gauge. Took out my USPSA mag gauge and sure enough it did not fit the gauge. Took a file to it. I have to qualify this by mentioning that these are the Dawson SNL base pads and I had to surface grind the bottoms to make them fit the gauge.

I drop mine, and I could care-a-less. I use my gun and equipment as tools, if they get damaged, so be it. ;) But...I shoot SS, and my Dawson mags are $47. If I was shooting open with expensive mags, I might care a bit more!

Edited by polizei1

What kind of mags / gun?

Glock 34 with Arredondo extensions. Sounds like I'll be letting them hit the floor. Thanks guys, I figured as much.

Concrete just seems so much harder than the pea gravel and b19 that I'm used to.

Just drop them. The worst is rocks. My CZ 75, 16 shot mags with the steel base pads (I need to get the rubber base ones) are so beat and bent I have to straighten them to get them apart and back together. I made a special tool to do it with now and am getting better at reforming the metal slot.

It's going to take a LOT of work to hurt the feed lips on a Glock 34 mag by dropping it on the floor. Heck, you could probably run over it with a truck and not hurt them. Plus the Arredondo extensions are tough as nails, so I wouldn't worry about them either.

Not to mention if you're using Arredondo extensions on your GLock mags, you're not shooting Production, so you wont be dropping 3-4 mags per stage like Prod. shooters do. More than likely you're only dropping 1 per stage, lessening the possibility of hurting them.

I have been using some Titanium Nitrite coated SVI mags for the last 18 months inside and outside. I have not had to adjust the feed lips at all. I just had Brandon check them awhile back and were all still good.

I don't have a lot of experience competing on an indoor range. Fortunately there are plenty of outdoor ranges around here. But, I will be, and it just hit me that I will be dropping mags onto a concrete floor.

This doesn't seem good. I really don't want to have to retain them, and I'm sure that in the heat of battle I will revert to my normal habit of letting them hit the floor. So, what do you do?

thanks

Randy

You could run a strip of foam tape along the bottom of the base pad to give it something soft to land on. The kind of tape you use to seal windows. You can get it at Home Depot for under $3.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MD-Building-Products-1-2-in-x-17-ft-Low-Density-Foam-Tape-02097/202066510

Edited by bountyhunter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok gents, riddle me this. I tend to fling mags from my glock 22. pressing the realese while bringing the gun to my reload point, spining the mag in air. Though I've never seen an issue with the lips hitting the deck but I do worry. Any thoughts?