Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sweeping other people with shotguns

MetropolisLake

I was at a primarily shotgun club one evening for an IDPA match. After the match, I'm carrying the shot up targets to the dumpster by the shotgun range. Eight or so guys are standing around with their shotguns having a conversation. I learned later that my unloaded handgun in my holster made them nervous. Really?

Shotgun (skeet, trap, clays, whatever) are the only shooting sports I know where they will happily sell you an accessory to attach to your shoelaces for the specific purpose of providing a convenient method of pointing a firearm at your foot!

Still board matches for hams, turkeys, beef or pork are common ways for churches, school groups, conservation clubs etc. to raise money. The gun handling there is atrocious. Add to that the amount of alcohol consumed on site. My parents church at home hosts such a fundraiser every year. I hadn't attended in a while and was quite upset after looking down the muzzle of several shotguns. When I spoke to people on the committee I was told that I was being unreasonable. "The guns aren't loaded, " or " We hand out the shells so we have control." I pointed out that some of the shooters were so drunk if you handed them 10 shells, they would have no idea if they fired them all or not. "We've never had problems before." I have never gone back, it's an accident and a lawsuit waiting to happen!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On Monday, January 13, 2014 at 2:46 PM, JFlowers said:

Yes, its normal. And yes, its normal that it bothers some of us who come from competitions where muzzle control is an absolute.

I agree.  Sometimes it looks careless