Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm or .40 for beginner?

tbone0813

So I am wondering what your thoughts are on the caliber of pistol to start off with. Things to know about me.

• I will be shooting IDPA ESP and USPSA Limited pistol only competitions. I based the divisions off what I have read and interpreted so far from the IDPA and USPSA rule books.
  • I am new to pistol shooting though I have shot trap before (obviously irrelevant here but I do have shooting experience).
  • I am not too concerned about the recoil difference between the two. I have shot both and really would be comfortable with either one.
  • I am not too concerned about the price difference in ammunition between the two.
  • When commenting take in to consideration that this will be for the long haul. I am interested in getting better, competing, and advancing in classifications.
  • I will not be reloading anytime soon.

My gun will be a Springfield XDm 5.25" customized through Springer Precision with a competition trigger @ 3.5lbs, Bar-Sto over-sized gunsmith match fit barrel, stainless steel guide rod with #18 springs, stippled grip, Dawson Ice Magwell, Springer Precision +.25" basepads, Springer Precision extended mag release, Springer Precision slide stop and Springer Precision aluminum cocked indicator guide.

If I left any information out that might help you make a recommendation please feel free to ask.

-Tommy

Edited by tbone0813

Well it's easier to find 40 loaded to major than 9 in case you ever wanted to shoot major.

I shoot an SVI in 40 with 180 grain MG JHP rounds loaded to 169 PF and find them to be more pleasant to shoot than any major 9mm round. And I am more accurate with it. I have never shot an XD in 40 so I don't know how it would compare to the 9

The ammo however is more expensive, that is true but if it's not an issue I would go 40.

I know that I am comfortable loading to major in 40 with reconditioned brass and selling it to the public but I won't sell 9 major in used brass.

There a forum member that has powder and new brass shipped to me and I load 9 major for him that way.

If I were reloading for myself then I would be OK loading 9 major with used brass.

I think if there is the possibility that you will want to shoot major then 40 will be a good choice.

Depends on which game your planning on shooting the most. Just bought an STI 40 Tripp built with a bushing barrel with plans on shooting it in ESP, going back to my 9mm Trojan. While I like the bushing barrel gun and have down loaded it to minor the 9mm Trojan is just smoother to operate at the minor power factor.

Have a friend who wanted to shoot IPSC but not reload. Suggested he try a STI wide body in nine minor. He's a good shooter able to hit mostly A's. 9 minor will hold 23 rounds and he's having a ball with it says it's like cheating. Just another thought!

Welcome to the sport Tommy!

Even though you were clear in your Limited division focus and had no immediate plans to start reloading, the Devil's Advocate in me can't help but point out the .40 will be more versatile across divisions if you do get a wayward eye. Although the utility of using it in production as a super-soft shooting minor .40 would require undoing more of the mods than switching between Limited-10, Limited, and Open.

I hear you on the equal comfort of shooting 9mm and .40. But as you grow in the sport there's a good chance you'll find yourself valuing even an incrementally softer shooting round. And for that .40 has the edge over 9mm.

Welcome to the sport Tommy!

Even though you were clear in your Limited division focus and had no immediate plans to start reloading, the Devil's Advocate in me can't help but point out the .40 will be more versatile across divisions if you do get a wayward eye. Although the utility of using it in production as a super-soft shooting minor .40 would require undoing more of the mods than switching between Limited-10, Limited, and Open.

I hear you on the equal comfort of shooting 9mm and .40. But as you grow in the sport there's a good chance you'll find yourself valuing even an incrementally softer shooting round. And for that .40 has the edge over 9mm.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the insight. There is a good chance as I grow in the sport and start to understand all the division rules and limitations I will probably end up getting a second gun. For now I am going to start off slow and get my feet wet. I love shooting and can hardly keep off YouTube from watching competition videos. I can't wait to get started and it seems there is no better place to start than this forum.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Starting at a match isn't a bad idea either.

I really want to get some basic shooting and safety training under by belt before I compete in a match. I have a local organization that holds IDPA and USPSA matches twice a month each so once I get the basics down I should have plenty of options to compete.

I'd go with .40 S&W. When I had to make that choice years ago that's what I did. I knew with .40 I could shoot major or I could load to minor and shoot production if I wanted. You could shoot minor in limited but you'll give up points big time unless you're capable of shooting A's 100% of the time.

When you go to your 1st match don't go all serious, go with the intention of having fun, safe but fun. Go slow and don't be intimidated by others and how they run their courses. My 1st matches were monumental screw ups but I never got DQ and had a lot of laughs. Often forgetting to rack the slide on reload, fumbling and dropping the magazine while trying to reload, forgetting the safety, forgetting targets ect ect. I was accurate but slow as molasses in a polar vortex.

As long as I am standing still I am all about A shots 100%......once I start moving I rapidly spiral down the toilet.....LOL.

I haven't gotten much better but I still have a lot of fun during the infrequent times I do go.

Really for your 1st match all you really really need to be 100% aware of is the 180 rule especially when reloading, keep your finger out of the trigger guard when not engaging a target, starting holstered with safety on and safely showing cleared at the end of a run.

Let the RO know it's your 1st time, they will appreciate it and offer good advice.

Go slow and have fun.

When you go to your 1st match don't go all serious, go with the intention of having fun, safe but fun. Go slow and don't be intimidated by others and how they run their courses. My 1st matches were monumental screw ups but I never got DQ and had a lot of laughs. Often forgetting to rack the slide on reload, fumbling and dropping the magazine while trying to reload, forgetting the safety, forgetting targets ect ect. I was accurate but slow as molasses in a polar vortex.

As long as I am standing still I am all about A shots 100%......once I start moving I rapidly spiral down the toilet.....LOL.

I haven't gotten much better but I still have a lot of fun during the infrequent times I do go.

Really for your 1st match all you really really need to be 100% aware of is the 180 rule especially when reloading, keep your finger out of the trigger guard when not engaging a target, starting holstered with safety on and safely showing cleared at the end of a run.

Let the RO know it's your 1st time, they will appreciate it and offer good advice.

Go slow and have fun.

Thanks Max. I will make sure to stay relaxed. Luckily I understand that there is going to be a learning curve. Patience is a virtue.

this is a tough one, because of 2 stipulations you mentioned:

1) you aren't planning to reload anytime soon

2) this is for the long haul

9mm benefits: softer shooting, more 3gun friendly (capacity), you can still shoot USPSA Lim but you will you'll just have to be more accurate.

40 benefits: can be shot major or minor, but you need to reload to shoot minor. You can shoot USPSA Lim Major. You can shoot IDPA ESP, you'll just have more recoil

This long haul comment, has me thinking... since you already shoot shotguns (trap), you may really like 3gun, and more capacity is more better so most people shoot 9mm in 3gun.

this is a tough one, because of 2 stipulations you mentioned:

1) you aren't planning to reload anytime soon

2) this is for the long haul

9mm benefits: softer shooting, more 3gun friendly (capacity), you can still shoot USPSA Lim but you will you'll just have to be more accurate.

40 benefits: can be shot major or minor, but you need to reload to shoot minor. You can shoot USPSA Lim Major. You can shoot IDPA ESP, you'll just have more recoil

This long haul comment, has me thinking... since you already shoot shotguns (trap), you may really like 3gun, and more capacity is more better so most people shoot 9mm in 3gun.

I originally thought I would do 3 gun but I decided to just stick to pistol comps for now. There is a small chance down the road that I will try 3 gun but right now my plans are sticking to pistol only. If I end up trying 3 gun with my .40 and liking it I can always look at getting another gun. I don't see that happening for a while.

I would have to say if you are planning to shoot .40S&W limited, you should start reloading.... reloading with give you opportunity to build custom load for you and gun while making power factor....

If limited then .40S&W but if production then stick with 9mm....

Edited by mag17

I would have to say if you are planning to shoot .40S&W limited, you should start reloading.... reloading with give you opportunity to build custom load for you and gun while making power factor....

If limited then .40S&W but if production then stick with 9mm....

I'm not saying I will never reload myself. I'm sure that I eventually will but right now I am going to focus more on getting all the gear I need and getting a coach to get me started. Maybe 6-8 months down the road reloading will be a viable option. Right now I would have no idea about loads and power factors so for now I will let Blam-Tec handle that for me.

Ah sweet, nice plug.....But mag 17 is right, once you get it down you will realize that a lot of the fun is playing with custom loads you develop yourself for your guns. Some truly don't like reloading and are content to let someone else do it, no problem with that, it's what keeps me in biz.

Me I really enjoy loading and playing around with the various variables, more so than shooting.

The nice thing about this forum is that when you do decide to start going that route you will get a lot of good solid advice and direction.

Remember, the important thing is to have fun and enjoy the aspects of it that YOU like.

Since we are on the topic of being a new shooter are there any 'definitive' books and or DVD's that will help me get started with pistol shooting especially as it pertains to competition? I know there are a lot out there but is there 1 or 2 that are the 'Bible' for competitive shooting?

Check out Ben Stoeger's Skills and Drills: For the Practical Pistol Shooter. It's a series of drills that you work on, complete with goal times based on your skill level, that will help you become a better shooter. I'm working my way through it and will be heading out to the range this afternoon to start doing some of the drills.

Two other things you can do that will improve your game and not cost you any money is (1) dry fire. Practice your draws and reloads. Do this daily. (2) Video tape yourself doing your dry fire session. You don't have to record them all and you don't have to record the entire session but record one aspect such as reloading. I did this recently and notice that when I reload I would sometimes eject the moon clip (I shoot a revolver) with my thumb and other times with my index finger. I need to settle on one method and stick to it. It's little things like that you can pick up when you record yourself that you'll likely miss if you don't.

Go to some matches - not to compete, but to spectate - just to get an idea of what happens. When people are not shooting or working they will be happy to answer questions you will have. Live is better than a book or video. The books and videos are good but it really helps to have an idea what they are talking/writing about.

Brian Enos' book is a must have, that goes without saying. The only DVD set I have is Matt Burkett's, but I have to say they're quite good. And Steve Anderson's Refinement and Repetition is an excellent playbook for dryfire exercise. Brian sells all 3 here through his website.

If you like listening to podcasts, Steve Anderson he also has a podcast where he dispenses a little wisdom most days. He's entertaining and gives you a shooting related thought of the day to noodle around.

Go to some matches - not to compete, but to spectate - just to get an idea of what happens. When people are not shooting or working they will be happy to answer questions you will have. Live is better than a book or video. The books and videos are good but it really helps to have an idea what they are talking/writing about.

Thanks Steve. I just noticed we are neighbors (or almost). I am in Grand Prairie. Where do you compete at?