Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What makes a 2011 the "go to" 3 gun pistol ?

Im pretty much still a baby in 3gun but Ive noticed a ton of competitors prefer 2011 style pistols over others, say the Glock 34. Mind you all Ive ever shot is a G34 so I have no experience w others (with the exception of my dads Tangfoglio Witness Match Elite"), but it seems to me it would be a PIA to worry about the safety all the time. Is there something Im missing ?? Help educate me please !

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say it's all about the trigger; however, there are plenty of people who run Glocks or similar with great success. Not having to worry about engaging the safety is an advantage but not one that typically shoes up on the clock.

gotcha ... guess that makes sense....to me the ease of dumping the pistol & KNOWING its automatically "safe" is very appealing ... Ive read horror stories of guys putting their pistol on safe , dumping it, only to find it "bumped off safe" as they were abandoning it .... that would just suck ....

I shoot an Edge and do so because I am comfortable (handling and clearing any malfunctions) with it as I shoot it in steel plate, USPSA and 3 Gun. Several guys I shoot with have Glocks or S&W's they shoot for the dump and go safe aspect of three gun. I have had the safety come off once last season (Edge) and have decided to remove the ambidextrous safety so I can dump it on that side. It is just preference that I stick with gun and gear I have a lot of money in and comfortable with and do not pick up an M&P and the gear and use it.

I went from a Canyon Creek XDM to an Apeiro for 3 gun and love it. The trigger pull, the almost lack of recoil, the general way it feels and points are much better than a striker fired gun. As far as the safety, I just drop the mag and rack the slide to empty the chamber. Only takes a second and at my level I have many more places to worry about loosing time. Daniel Horner has nothing to fear from me yet......

Remember its the indian, not the bow!

There are lots of Glocks and M&P being used in 3 gun and for good reason. But, the 1911 /2011's certainly have potentially the best trigger, one major reason they are so popular

Another way to look at it is in 3gun you are pretty much using a USPSA limited gun, only shooting minor. If you are going to shoot a limited gun you might as well use the gun that rules the roost on the pistol side of things. A custom built 2011 is going to be far more accurate, heavier, and have a better trigger then any of the current poly guns ever will.

Is it needed to will 3gun matches? No, especially with time plus scoring. Then again, if you where good enough Im sure you could will most local club matches with an ak74 that has had some work done to it.

I mainly shoot Heavy Metal with a 1911. I have shot a few matches in Tac-Optics with a Glock 17. I added Dawson sights, a Dawson magwell, Dawson basepads, a trigger (either Glock Triggers or Glockworks, I can never remember which) a steel guiderod and tuned the recoil spring for me. The gun shoots well, is reliable and plenty accurate. I like the dump it and go aspect. I recently came across a buddy deal on an STI Eagle in 9mm. I bought it and have been shooting club matches with it. I went to the range and put a fullsized IPSC target out at 40 yards. I can consistantly put five rounds on target, with better hits, ~ 1 second faster, with the STI. I am still weighing the possibilities of using the STI or selling it. It is more finicky than the Glock, due to the magazines. I don't have to clean Glock mags between stages and they work, (I clean Wilson 1911 mags once a year and they work) if you drop an STI mag, you better clean it or you will have problems. As far as the safety and abandoning the gun, I put a 1918 Colt single sided safety (I don't like extended safeties anyway) on the STI and stretched the spring a little so that the safety takes more effort to disengage. I have tested it on carpet and rubber mats here at the house, simulating a pistol abandonment in a match. I have made it knock the safety off one time, but I literally threw it down at an angle on carpet, I wouldn't have been able to silde it at that angle into any of the abandonment buckets or bins that I have encountered at the matches that I have been to.

Hurley

Another way to look at it is in 3gun you are pretty much using a USPSA limited gun, only shooting minor. If you are going to shoot a limited gun you might as well use the gun that rules the roost on the pistol side of things. A custom built 2011 is going to be far more accurate, heavier, and have a better trigger then any of the current poly guns ever will.

Is it needed to will 3gun matches? No, especially with time plus scoring. Then again, if you where good enough Im sure you could will most local club matches with an ak74 that has had some work done to it.

+1

Trigger-Accuracy-weight been shooting them for long time in USPSA matches as well.

Thumb safety just comes naturally with time. Sometimes drawing from a holster with enough retention is much harder.

Nick

I've got nothing against 2011s. I just like they way my Tanfoglio feels to me. I'm very used to it. For me thats the main thing, being familiar with your equipment. I don't worry about the safety, like you mentioned. As part of being familiar with it, the safety is off when I need it to be and on when I need it to be. It is almost unconscious. I am aware of i but don't need to put any real thought into it. Push thumb down or push thumb forward, thats it.

I've got nothing against 2011s. I just like they way my Tanfoglio feels to me. I'm very used to it. For me thats the main thing, being familiar with your equipment. I don't worry about the safety, like you mentioned. As part of being familiar with it, the safety is off when I need it to be and on when I need it to be. It is almost unconscious. I am aware of i but don't need to put any real thought into it. Push thumb down or push thumb forward, thats it.

Does the Tanfoglio feel better with empty mags? :roflol:

I would say it's all about the trigger; however, there are plenty of people who run Glocks or similar with great success. Not having to worry about engaging the safety is an advantage but not one that typically shoes up on the clock.

This....

After spending years shooting benchrest and varmints, I just can't get past the lack of a good, crisp trigger. If a Glock / M&P / XD had a trigger like a 1911 or 2011, I would probably convert and never look back. Until then, I've got to have my good trigger.

I had been shooting a .45ACP SIG P220 Single Action in USPSA Limited 10 and a 20-round 9mm SIG P226 in 3-Gun. Last year I decided to treat myself to an STI Edge .40S&W. I really like this pistol for both USPSA and 3-Gun, and I think these are my reasons:

1. I have no particular like for or interest in any of the striker fired guns—personal preference, obviously, as there are plenty of people who shoot Glocks and M&Ps very well in both sports.
  2. I need Major PF for USPSA and wanted Minor PF for 3-Gun, so .40S&W fit the bill.
  3. A double-stack 1911 style gun was basically the only hammer fired gun that was going to get me into .40S&W without losing mag capacity compared to my P226.
  4. An STI practically reloads itself, given the mag chutes and magazine geometry.
  5. A 4lb Dawson 2011 trigger feels a lot like my rifle's 4lb Timney trigger, and all my tuned 4lb SIG triggers (in single action mode). No, I did not feel the need to go lighter on the trigger.

So far, I've been very happy with the choice!

I would argue you will not find another handgun platform that is so highly backed by the aftermarket... I have M&P's, Tanfoglios and 2011's and I know for sure I can get most anything I want from multiple sources for the 2011.. Try that with a Tanfoglio!!!!!

Does the Tanfoglio feel better with empty mags? :roflol:

Hell yes Yankee. It's lighter that way!!!!

I think it is just that is what most have or are familiar with. I run a Tac Sport in Limited. For 3 gun I just bring my mouse fart rounds. Three gun brings enough.......cough...... opportunity to empty you wallet as it is without buying a dedicated pistol.