Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to choose a coated bullet?

JLeeCZ

With all the talk about coated bullets, how does one decide on which brand? I like the look of the SNS coated 9mm 147 gr but there is much praise for Blue Bullet, Bayou, BBI, etc. I am a beginner and just getting started with a 550 with Xtreme 147's. If the new coated shoot well without adding smoke, I want to order some but can't decide what to try. If they are all about the same using the same coating, guess it comes down to price and company reputation, and maybe color. Are they any more difficult to load than plated from Xtreme?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went with Bayou because everything I read on any forum about them was positive. I haven't loaded any of the new Blue Bullets but I got to see some at a match earlier this month and may eventually try them. I think Bayou and BBI use the same coating but different color but blue bullet uses a different coating. When I first ordered Bayou's I called Donnie and was going to order just 250 but as we talked I changed the order to a case. I'm glad I did. I'm down to under 500 bullets left and I'll be calling him again on Monday to order another case for me as well as a case of 180g .40 S&W for my son. I really like the bullets. I've found them to be very clean shooting out of my S&W 625 JM and I shot some out of a 1911 earlier this month and there was no leading.

As far as loading I haven't found that one is any more difficult to load than the other. For me the process is the same regardless of the bullet I'm using.

Something you could do is order sample packs of the bullets from each manufacturer you're considering and see if you end up liking one better than the others or if one runs better in your gun(s) than the others.

Guest COUNTYGUARDIAN3

It is somewhat amusing ... while serving as an RO at several different GSSF matches, I have had an opportunity to observe a growing number of competitors using the polymer coated bullets. Each one of them SWEARS by the particular brand and weight of bullet that he is using. All have similar "likes"; i.e., low or no smoke, no fouling, great accuracy and reasonable prices. Guess it goes to show that what ever you choose to use, it will likely work and work well (if you stay with the "known" makers).

Go ahead and make the switch... Coated bullets are no different to work with than plated.

I prefer the Bayou coating. I don't like the old moly bullets that BBI used to have, but I've heard they switched to the Bayou coating. I've stopped using the BBI bullets for now as my CZ's prefer a true round nose bullet.

I know nothing of the Blue Bullet coating, but I think it's more like the Bayou coating. I might have to give the Blue Bullets a try some day, but for now I'm sticking with Donnie's Bayou Bullets... Like others have mentioned, old habits are hard to break.

If you use a Bayou Bullet or one coated with their coatings, you'll be a happy camper. Clean and low smoke as long as you don't damage the coating (not unlike the plated you're using now). By the way the Bayou coating is very tough, but remember to use a bit more flare/bell on the case when loading (again like the Xtremes your using now).

Thanks. Not sure what attracts me to the gold SNS coated but want to give the Bayou and others a try also. Maybe because I have gotten some good advice on GlockTalk from some who really like the SNS lead. They are all probably good.

So far I like the Bayou Bullets. Have loaded and shot close to 500 rds with 125gr 9mm. No leading, smoking or feeding issues and at least as accurate as the Berry's I also have, probably more so. I have just started to shoot groups from a rest recently to get an idea of the accuracy of my reloads and the little greenies seem great so far. Great price too. No probs with loading either. Donnie seems to have a bit more variety than the bluebullets.

I have just tried some of the "blue bullets" made by Ibeji Heads and have to say they are extremely accurate and just as clean as any other of the coated bullets I have used so far. Plus, no residue on your hands after handling them.

Easy for me to go with S&S. They are about an hour from me and my LGS that I drive by everyday carries them. Little more than on the website but I don't have to pay shipping. So far its been a good bullet. The owner shoots USPSA at the same club I do.

I have just tried some of the "blue bullets" made by Ibeji Heads and have to say they are extremely accurate and just as clean as any other of the coated bullets I have used so far. Plus, no residue on your hands after handling them.

Ibejiheads are my go to bullets too. Very accurate, very clean. I even ran them through my Open. The owner is awesome to deal with.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Hy-Tech coated bullets. I choose the Blue Bullets simply because they are competitive shooters, offer a contingency program and are a brand new company trying to make it. We need all the bullet manufacturers we can get, you cannot have too many in this day and time. I am sure that SnS, BBI and Bayou offer a great product as I have tried them all at one time or another and they all worked just as advertised.

A little support for a new company with great customer service, fast shipping and did I mention the customer service? I will be shooting the Blue as long as they are in business, they treat me like I own the place.

My only problem with Blue Bullets is they don't have 230g for .45 ACP (At least they aren't listed on their web site). I do agree they are great people. Very friendly.

They have the molds on order.

My only problem with Blue Bullets is they don't have 230g for .45 ACP (At least they aren't listed on their web site). I do agree they are great people. Very friendly.

Might want to ask them, I was told they are expanding offerings

SnS has great customer service, extremely fast shipping and the way they ship and pack their product is the best out of all of them.

Jim and Ryan are great to deal with, have been huge supporters of matches and have been probably the biggest match sponsor of the Indiana matches, well over $7500 in gift certificates donated to date for all the matches and that is just here with the Indiana Matches.

They all have similar product but when it comes to being involved and supporting the sport SnS leads the pack, they way they ship their product to you is second to none. That may seem like a small thing but they really good above and beyond to make sure what you ordered shows up undamaged and complete, something that a lot of the other guys could take a few notes in.

• 2 weeks later...

I've shot Black Bullet International, Bayou, and SNS. All shoot well. However, I shoot the SNS now in .45 acp SWC and the 9mm 147 gr. Donnie is a super nice guy, but I really like dealing with Jim and Ryan at SNS. I had been buying their lead bullets before I got started with the moly and had been extremely pleased with them, and they had been super helpful to me. When I saw they had gotten into the moly as well, I had to give them a try and really like the bullets. I can't say theirs are any better than the other guys, but the other guys' bullets are not any better than theirs either. Very consistent and accurate and first rate customer service.

My problem is that I've had great dealings with SnS, Bayou and Black Bullets. The guys that run those shops are just nice people and easy to deal with.

I'm reworking my loads right now, so I ordered some evaluation packs from each of them.

Going to test each of them against the other and see which one my gun likes best. That will decide it for me. And I know I will be happy with whichever one of them it turns out to be.

Zach,

I just got my first vote in at the range and soon as I close the deal I will be out there with a chrono testing out the Blue Bullet loads I have. With Donnie's we need to get together and place a large order on the 147s and save some on shipping.