Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to choose a coated bullet?

JLeeCZ

They are all great companies. Hope to see more molds available without the grooves and bands. Haven't loaded any yet but seems that would make things easier. Does any of the coating come off on the dies when handloading?

Just loaded up a few different loads of the 124gr SnS bullets, only "issue" I found was just a small bit seems to get shaved when seating the bullet. Probably just need to flare a tiny bit more. I'm excited to shoot these as they are my first reloads.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Just switched to poly coated bullets for Production loads for

my CZ's and the wife's M&P.

Tried Blue Bullet and Bayou. Same velocity and accuracy for both, but

Donnie's stuff has a bit more base bevel. I was scuffing a bit of coating

once in a while when seating with the Blue Bullets. Not shaving it with the

case mouth---scuffing it off. (EGW sizer die)

FYI----my old load was a 147 gr Montana Gold over 3.7 gr N320 for a PF of 131.

Bayou 147 over 3.35 gr N320 yields the same 131 PF.

After shooting the ibejiheads bullets, I notice what looks like some trace buildup in the barrel. It's not lead, but what I assume is the coating that gets stripped off and melted while firing. It seems very hard to completely clean out with standard hoppes #9. Any recommended gun cleaning products to use to dissolve the melted coating in the barrel? This is out of a factory Glock barrel.

Edited by Postal Bob

• 4 months later...

Bayou's, SnS same same, mostly Bayou's cause that's what I started with when I went to coated.

Blue's and Ibjheads good but not as accurate as the above.

Blue residue in box, dies and gun from BB

Ibjheads no problems but guns seem to like the Bayou's best and SnS a real close 2nd

One more for your list is Falcon Bullets - near us in TN they have a new coating that is bright red/pink it is very slick and some have reported that you can use less powder than with other coatings - I can report it is very clean and accurate - it does have an uncoated lead base - in practice that has not mattered. It is a bit more expensive than BBI et al.

I cannot confirm that it makes power factor with less powder but it has been sworn to by others.

http://www.falconbullets.com/category_s/1859.htm

I have used Bayou - BBI - SNS too - cannot see any real difference - BBI ships faster than any other I have encountered - all are fine bullets and excellent vendors.

Edited by Solvability

Bayou, SNS, Gateway, LNL, and now BBI has now switched coatings,

all these use the Australian HI-TEK polymer coatings.

Blue Bullets uses their own color/process.

There are other manufacturers using ELECTROSTATIC TYPE "POWDER COATING"

After shooting the ibejiheads bullets, I notice what looks like some trace buildup in the barrel. It's not lead, but what I assume is the coating that gets stripped off and melted while firing. It seems very hard to completely clean out with standard hoppes #9. Any recommended gun cleaning products to use to dissolve the melted coating in the barrel? This is out of a factory Glock barrel.

Thanks Bob! Your post is from March. Anyone have an update as to what works to remove this build-up?

Thanks Bob! Your post is from March. Anyone have an update as to what works to remove this build-up?

It might be an issue with the barrel, my barrel is very clean after shooting ibejiheads.

This pic was after shooting 500 rounds through an Open gun, 1 pass with a boresnake. My limited and SS guns are just as clean

post-4994-0-70791500-1406311476_thumb.jp

Edited by Supermoto

• 6 months later...

The other companies are using the same coatings as Bayou's as Donnie is the distributor for the chemicals in the US. There are different colors available, and some companies are choosing a color to distinguish them from other companies. You can purchase the coatings directly from Donnie if you cast your and wanted to coat them instead of lubing. With the coating on the bullets, they are a little faster than just plain lead.