Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prescription Shooting Glasses

ZackJones

Yes I know the topic has been discussed quite a bit and I've searched through and read previous posts but I wanted to toss this out for those of you that have corrective shooting glasses. During my eye exam today I told the doctor about shooting and how people had glasses where the dominate eye was corrected for front sight distance and then weak eye corrected for distance. He set up the special frames he has that allowed me to simulate having glasses with this prescription in them. While wearing the frames I went out into the hall and held up my finger to simulate a front sight and then looked out in the distance at posters on the wall just to get some idea what it would be like to have glasses setup this way. Everything seemed to be pretty good but I did notice that I couldn't clearly make out stuff printed on the posters on the wall. Granted he didn't have my exact prescription in the frames but had one as close as he could get. After testing this for a few minutes he took the frames back and tweaked the lenses and gave them back to me. I performed the same finger pointing drill, etc but this time noted that I could actually read some of the print on the poster on the back wall. When I asked him what he had changed he said the changed the prescription so that the right eye (my dominate eye) was corrected for distance and my left eye corrected for up close. Now this is exactly the opposite setup that I've seen everyone here say they use which I found to be very interesting. So my questions after that long winded intro, is did any of you ever try having the dominate eye corrected for distance instead of up close? Given that focus on the front sight is critical I'm inclined to go with what I've read everyone else has done and that's go with dominate eye corrected for front sight and weak eye corrected for distance. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you still see your front sight clearly? I have never heard of this, but if it works what the hell. My setup is dom. Eye front sight and distance for non dom. My front sight eye would really be about a 4 diopter but with that I can't even see a target. So I have settled for about a 3.25 for my dom eye. The front sight is not perfect but I can see it well enough and the target to make my shots.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to have them done the way everyone else has them done. Dominate eye for sight and weak eye for distance. I'll post a follow up once I have the glasses and have had a chance to shoot with them.

I went into Decot's office in Phoenix and Sam Cherry told me we don't want the front sight TOO sharp in focus or like rooster above we'll have a problem seeing the targets at distance. I use +2.5 for normal reading glasses and he set me up with a +1.00 on my dominant right eye, plano (no correction) on my left - I'm 20/15 in both eyes after double cataract surgery and I'm loving it - I've got the accuracy now all I need is speed!

I recently had to get reading glasses. In the process I went to my eye doctor and got prescription contacts. I am right handed, and right eye dominant. So he setup the right eye for up close, and the left setup for distance and 20/15. This works well to see the front sight, but I hate contacts. I am not sure I am ready to plunk down bucks for prescription lens.

Interesting. I recently ordered a pair of magnified safety glasses to try out for shooting and I thought they would would be dang handy around the shop. I was right. I found they work fine at all but the 50 yard line for NRA Action Pistol and the Mover. For some reason my Mover scores were worse with the magnified glasses. I guess seeing the front sight clearly is l;ess inportant on the mover. At the 50 yard line I could not see the target clear enough to properly aim. Also, they sucked for USPSA. I just could not get used to running around and random distance targets with the magnified glasses. Also, they do not work with peep-sighted rifles. I still can not see the front post. I think I may order some less strong and see if they work better for things like the 50 yard line and rifle.

One thing to try is check front sight focus strong hand weak hand also. I am at the point where front sight is in focus shooting Bullseye (one handed) not while shooting two handed. There is almost 6" difference between eye and front sight on my guns(4" revolver to 6" semi auto) prone is another issue especially with head phones.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out my eye insurance company was giving my eye doc a hard time about me getting safety glasses so I cancelled the order. I've tried shooting for the last couple of range sessions with my computer glasses and they seem to work pretty well. The only problem is they don't offer nearly the coverage the safety glasses would have. Looks like I'll be hunting for some other glasses that have inserts I can try.

Turns out my eye insurance company was giving my eye doc a hard time about me getting safety glasses so I cancelled the order. I've tried shooting for the last couple of range sessions with my computer glasses and they seem to work pretty well. The only problem is they don't offer nearly the coverage the safety glasses would have. Looks like I'll be hunting for some other glasses that have inserts I can try.

I have been using ESS glasses with the Rx insert for the last couple of years in IDPA and USPSA. My Rx was described as one for computers. The front sight is clear at arms length and I still have the reading Rx. Targets at 50+ yards are more challenging when shooting 3-gun because the targets are a little blurry. It's a work in progress.

Jim

It's a work in progress.

Agreed - it's a work in progress. I shot the steel challenge match with my computer glasses yesterday just to see how I'd like it and I did. I will be looking for some glasses with Rx insert for sure now. I liked being able to see but I was nervous around all of that steel with those glasses on. I thought about swapping out between shooting and scoring but I figured that would just further complicate things.

I'm 68 and had problems getting focused on the sight or target. I've been using the dominant eye focused on the front sight for quite a while now. My theory is that I would naturally bring the gun up in front of my dominate eye and that's where I want the front sight focus.

Now, to complicate the explanation, I'm right handed and left eye dominate. I tried all of the tricks, tape, petroleum jelly on the lens, stick on bifocals etc. The solution came when I practiced dry firing drawing on a target. After 10 minutes of doing this, I found that I was drawing the gun to a position in front of my dominate eye, actually, I was naturally turning my head slightly right to put my left eye behind an isosoles (SP?) shooting position.

I put my shooting glasses on at the begining of my 20 minute drive to the range. By the time I get there, my eyes have adjusted and everything seems normal..... Just my experience and that of a few others I shoot with....Joe

Hi Zack, It's difficult to be very definitive on a personal basis because there are simply so many factors involved. Having said that; however, there a certain truths that are written in stone. (At least for now lol)

If you close an eye or use a patch then the eye that is open obviously acts as the dominate eye. So, if you closing the right eye then there is no problem. With both eye's open the degree of dominance plays a significant role. Fortunately in pistol shooting where the end of the barrel is not in a fixed position like with a shotgun or a rifle there is a great deal of latitude related to alignment. Head tilt and hand position are great mediators. As long as the dominant position is aliened between the front sight and the target then the perceived point of impact is the same as the actual point of impact. However, if the front sight is not between the dominant eye position and the target then the perceived point of impact will be different than the actual point of impact. (Of course the more conscious you are of the front sight the more significant and the less conscious the front sight is the less significant, but that's another story)

We have to understand this concept before moving forward. This may help in terms of understanding the dominant position. I'm having trouble sending the link over so do a Google search for: You Tube Dr. Richard Colo Dominance

Understanding the dominant position you can see that if you correct the non dominant eye for the front sight then you take the chance with both eyes open of creating a point of impact that is perceived to be in a different spot then the actual POI.

Example, If your right eye dominate and have the lens that clears the sight over the left eye it could look like your going to be shooting to the right so you move the POI to the left therefore the perceived POI is at the target but your really shooting to the left of the target.

The best way to understand this is if you are right eye dominant hold your finger up and point to a spot on the wall. Now close your right eye. See how your finger moves to the right. In order to now put your finger on the spot you have to move it more to the left. Keep you right eye closed. Now you think you are aliened with the spot but open your right eye now (Dominant Eye) and you see your actually pointing to the left of the spot. Whew, All this gave me a headache I can't imagine how you folks that are still awake through all of this feel.

Bottom line Zach, I don't think that's a good idea. Hope this helps..................Rich

Rich,

Thanks for your input. It's good to hear from an eye doc.

For those reading here's a link to his video on YouTube:

In my case I'm right eye dominate and shoot with both eyes open. My original question was for vision correction do you correct the dominate eye for sight focus or target focus. The general consensus is sight focus.

• 5 weeks later...

I just had an exam for new glasses, and normally I wear progressive bi focals, and have worn them when shooting. I broke down and bought a pair of Randolph XLW shooting glasses with the Rx insert. After talking to several people in the know, I had the distance only Rx put in after doing what Zack did having the Dr. put distance only in the lens frame. I wish I had done that a long time ago! I wore them shooting in a pistol class at Sig Academy after I picked them up and saw and shot great, I can see the targets better shooting Trap too. I still miss several birds, but can see them better! When I shot pistol with my progressive glasses, I was moving my head up and down to get a focus, not now with distance only.

I've had the dominant eye/sight, weak eye distant shooting glasses since the 80s . One thing I would suggest is to put the shooting glasses on when you get up - on shooting days :D - which will help you in being accustomed to them.

I tried shooting some with my normal 'computer' glasses and it seemed to work well. I was switching between them and safety classes when not actually shooting and on one stage I forgot to switch back and I actually feel like I shot better with out prescription correction so for now, at least, I'm leaving the prescription glasses in the case at the range.

I tried shooting some with my normal 'computer' glasses and it seemed to work well. I was switching between them and safety classes when not actually shooting and on one stage I forgot to switch back and I actually feel like I shot better with out prescription correction so for now, at least, I'm leaving the prescription glasses in the case at the range.

My shooting glasses Rx insert has a "computer" Rx, and it has worked much better than my progressive bifocals for IDPA/USPSA shooting.

Jim

• 1 month later...