Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which of these mods are worth doing on a Dillon 550B?

Been sorting through lots of online ideas lately. Seems the 550 has tons of potential modifications to improve it's function. Heard of folks polishing certain parts to reduce friction. Read where someone polished the primer charging bar with frog lube. A guy on YouTube made a customized longer primer bearing plate to reduce/prevent torquing. Some other guy bumped up the fixed pin that the spring attaches to under primer bar to improve functioning. Polishing powder funnels or even using 1050 funnels in 550's to reduce sticking on the upstroke.

There are roller handles and LED light kits. Then there is the near famous safety pin or paper clip substitute for the cotter pin on the spent primer shute. I have seen the Hit Factor sprocket with ball bearing kit, and heard of folks just using ball bearing washers alone. Some folks say to remove the spring clip on station one all together. It is finicky at times. So many ideas out there. I just got mine running the other week, but I am already eager to improve certain aspects of the machine.

I am loading 223 and 10 mm. Setting up 9 mm and 40 S&W in coming weeks. Never thought reloading would be as much fun as shooting. What have you done to improve your Dillon? Please be specific so other greenhorns like me can employ your ideas. I know my cart is in front of my horse. Just seemed like a fun thread to start and I am certain you more experienced guys can help the guys out there like me wade through the BS.

Pics are always appreciated:)

Dan

I am not an experienced reloader but I have done two modes to my 550. I have just finished installing a press monitor to help with the constancy of the whole process and also helps catch problems before a new reloader hopefully gets into them. Not saying it prevents them but hopefully will warn when a possible problem may arise. The other mod was an led light through the stand hole when the head is installed. I feel the more light you have the better. The monitor has an adjustable led light as well so now I have two. I am having primer pickup problems with my press at the moment so I will be investigating that now. Hope your search goes well.

I think the roller handle is worth it. And it looks cool. I installed a Hornady LED light kit on my 550 and am VERY happy with it. Works awesome! I also took all my powder measures apart and re-greased them. I also shaved down part of the fail-safe so it doesn't bump and snap on the upstroke. They're all very smooth now. I used Remington Dry Lube on the powder bars and the sliding primer bar and it works like a charm.

Polishing powder funnels or even using 1050 funnels in 550's to reduce sticking on the upstroke. Worth trying to take a little material off the funnel. They do stick pretty bad sometimes. Don't mess with a 1050 funnel(actuator). Made really lopsided rounds for me.

There are roller handles and LED light kits. Just buy a Dillon roller handle when you buy the press. No need to look for anything better. Go to Lowe's and buy a $15 LED clamp on light and clamp it to the back of the press and swivel the head to where you need it.Then there is the near famous safety pin or paper clip substitute for the cotter pin on the spent primer shute. This is true. I used a small finish nail. I have seen the Hit Factor sprocket with ball bearing kit, and heard of folks just using ball bearing washers alone. Never saw the use for this on a 550 as you move the star by hand. To smooth it out just use less snappy hand movements.Some folks say to remove the spring clip on station one all together. BS unless you want to hold your fingers under there until the ram goes up and smashes your finger.It is finicky at times. So many ideas out there. I just got mine running the other week, but I am already eager to improve certain aspects of the machine.

I am loading 223 and 10 mm. Setting up 9 mm and 40 S&W in coming weeks. Never thought reloading would be as much fun as shooting. What have you done to improve your Dillon? Please be specific so other greenhorns like me can employ your ideas. I know my cart is in front of my horse. Just seemed like a fun thread to start and I am certain you more experienced guys can help the guys out there like me wade through the BS.

Pics are always appreciated:)

Dan

I suggest just using the press more and getting used to it. 550's are supposed to work best using the KISS principle. Tweaking this and tweaking that is typically not needed on it until you develop problems.

Do a search and read as much as you can on here about the Dillon machines. I know for a fact everything you asked about has been talked about multiple times. The answers to your questions are already here.

I bought my 550 with the roller handle (never tried the stock handle on it)...so I can't say it's better, but I can't see the ball handle being as comfortable.

I did my own LED strip lighting, and would highly recommend this mod (whether you roll your own, buy Inline's, or Hornady's).

The primer chute cotter pin is one of those parts of the press where you have to ask Dillon "come on, were you serious here?" They don't last. They invariably end up bending, binding, and needing to be ripped out. I've used sections of paper clip as a replacement, which eventually have the same issue. Believe it or not, thin wire with the insulation removed worked well for me. I think because it was flexible enough that it could bend freely and straighten back out enough to not bind. I've just recently found the right size safety pin and put it in the chute, but not done much loading since.

I intend to make an extended primer slide bearing...because primer slide travel has been my biggest issue with the press failing to work reliably. The couple of squibs I've had were all loaded during a session in which I was having to fight with the primer slide not picking up primers from the magazine because the slide wasn't getting full travel.