Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What magwell to install for USPSA on a 9mm STI Trojan?

Red Ryder

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2013 at 7:51 PM, jcc7x7 said:

I like the Dawson Ice magwell Gap or No Gap. It doesn't seem to make much difference on the reload to me!! But with the no gap you don't have to spend the money to buy the no gap base pads

I use Wilson EMT 9mm mags

Same here, and I did the standard gap version at first.  Then I realized I needed new basepads anyway, so I got the no-gap insert and the no-gap basepads.

When I need the same .45 pistol in Limited-10, I just cut off the protrusion on my CMcC 10-rd .45 magazine basepads, and they work perfect with the no-gap insert, too.

I use Wilson ETM magazines for both 9mm and .45.  The basepads swap over in seconds, so I only have one fleet of those and swap them to the magazines I'm currently using.  Heck, they need to be cleaned that often anyway.

Tried the bigger Dawson IPSC and the Techwell variants (all of them ;)) gone back to a S&A on my Springfield Loaded now. I just wish Dawson would make a carry sized magwell so you could swap out from the larger version if you wished to.

Edited by terrydoc

8 hours ago, MAC702 said:

Did you use the Dawson basepads?

Yes, and with the rear sight that my Ruger had on it, the gun would not fit in the box. So then I tried a different base pad and there in started the issues. 

Since this I have moved in a different direction. New gun and different magwell. 

Yes, you need the bigger basepads for reliable (and pain-free) magazine seating with the Dawson ICE.  Good point to check the rear sight on your pistol.  I got lucky; as I never thought of that and just trusted that my pistol would fit the box when I got to Area 1.  It never even occurred to me that, duh, a taller rear sight would mean less wiggle room at the magwell.  Fortunately, I'm using a Kimber Classic Custom with rounded combat sights that are pretty low.  I'm glad you brought this up and that I asked for specifics.  I'm actually going to go measure my SAI RO 9mm gun.  I use the same Dawson set-up, but it has the factory adjustable sights.  While I've cut and filed off their sharp edges, I'd better make sure they aren't any taller than allowed.  It's never been tested in the box.

2 hours ago, MAC702 said:

Yes, you need the bigger basepads for reliable (and pain-free) magazine seating with the Dawson ICE.

I have a 9mm SpringField RO with the Dawson ICE no-gap magwell...  I'm currently using Dawson no-gap 10 round magazines, but have also tried Wilson Combat and Cobra Tripp magazines as well...

It is very, very difficult to seat full magazines...  I have to smack them very hard to get them to lock into the gun...  Smacking them hard doesn't always work...  sometimes they fall out...

Part of the problem seems to be the magazine release dragging on the top of the slide...  I'm using a Dawson extended magazine release with a #4 Wolff mag release spring (lightest)...  I've polished the mag release and the top of the magazines...  That helps somewhat...  I have a Wilson Combat mag release on order...

Have any of you experienced this seating problem?

26 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

...Have any of you experienced this seating problem?

I didn't think so (all Wilson mags with Dawson basepads), but I was having other issues with my 9mm RO running well, and was going for Major at Area 1 and Limited-10 Major this week at Multigun Nationals (heavy Metal division), so I've been concentrating so much with the .45 that I haven't gotten back to running the 9mm RO yet.  It was my entry gun at the Berry's Steel Open in January, but extractor broke on the second stage and I had to shoot the match with the nothing-but-disadvantages .45 after all.

Next month, I'll be able to put some more time into running the 9mm.

I have a 9mm SpringField RO with the Dawson ICE no-gap magwell...  I'm currently using Dawson no-gap 10 round magazines, but have also tried Wilson Combat and Cobra Tripp magazines as well...

It is very, very difficult to seat full magazines...  I have to smack them very hard to get them to lock into the gun...  Smacking them hard doesn't always work...  sometimes they fall out...

Part of the problem seems to be the magazine release dragging on the top of the slide...  I'm using a Dawson extended magazine release with a #4 Wolff mag release spring (lightest)...  I've polished the mag release and the top of the magazines...  That helps somewhat...  I have a Wilson Combat mag release on order...

Have any of you experienced this seating problem?

I have Trojan 9mm with the Dawson no gap magwell and mags. No issues searing a full mag at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk