Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Had to shut a shooter down at local 3 gun

rgvwheeler

I was ROing a stage at a local 3 gun a couple of weeks ago. I could tell the next shooter was a fairly new shooter and I knew I had to watch him pretty close. The first shots were off of the top of a barricade. I asked if he understood the course of fire. I sounded the buzzer and he plopped the rifle down on top of the barricade. I noticed his support hand was pretty far forward on the gun so I moved around where I could see closer and noticed he was actually holding the flash hider between his pointer and middle finger. I yelled stop, stop, stop before he could get a shot off. I don't think he would have lost a finger but I bet it would have hurt pretty bad.

I was ROing a stage at a local 3 gun a couple of weeks ago. I could tell the next shooter was a fairly new shooter and I knew I had to watch him pretty close. The first shots were off of the top of a barricade. I asked if he understood the course of fire. I sounded the buzzer and he plopped the rifle down on top of the barricade. I noticed his support hand was pretty far forward on the gun so I moved around where I could see closer and noticed he was actually holding the flash hider between his pointer and middle finger. I yelled stop, stop, stop before he could get a shot off. I don't think he would have lost a finger but I bet it would have hurt pretty bad.

He should have bought you a beer for catching that. Would have been a world of hurt had he managed to get a round off.

• 3 weeks later...

Good catch! Years ago a friend of mine managed to put his right index finger over the first port of his compensator on the Bianchi Barricade event. Fortunately all it did was blacken his finger pretty good and numbed it to the point he couldn't tell whether it was on the trigger or not. Oddly enough he said other than the Barricade event he shot his best score?

I suspect your shooters finger would have survived, but it probably would have felt like he slammed it in the gun safe door!

woah, just when you thought you'd seen it all....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow I didn't see that coming in the story. I'm not sure about his fingers being ok. My Titan blew a hole the size of a base ball clear through one of my packs. If he was actually gripping the ports hard on some of the harsher comps, he may have kept his finger but he would still get some hospital time out of that one. Did he thank you and understand what you just did for him?

Good reason to put on a button or small rail or hand stop on the end of really long hand guards.

Agree, I know some look at it as tacticool but I always have something. I doubt I would accidently grab the barrel but it's hard to miss your mark with a handstop.

• 1 year later...

That's pretty crazy. Even after being in the Army I've never seen anyone do that. My muzzle brake leaves scorch marks on the concrete shooting benches at my range, and burned a hole through my range bag the one time I was dumb enough to try to use it as a support. When I practice shooting on my side it blasts all matter of dirt and debris all over me. And this is with a 20" barrel. I don't even want to think what it would do to fingers. Good catch. Was he using an SBR, or just a really pronounced Costa grip?

Edited by Blowback