Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How well does your gun work in the cold?

Sandbagger123

Many shooter just shoot when the weather is good, and hang it up when it gets cold. There isa match this weekend with the temps in the 20's at shooting time.

The last time i did one this cold I shot a Glock,and it functioned just fine. These days I have a 2011. So how well do these fair in the cold?? have you had issues with your gun in the cold?

A Merry Christmas to all

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you are not using standard slide glide or some other grease on it you should be fine. We shoot an indoor weekly league and it is cold in the bay and every once in awhile somebody will try to run their greased gun. Fail.

I would make sure it is clean and lightly lubed. Works on my Open gun just fine.

As long as you are not using standard slide glide or some other grease on it you should be fine. We shoot an indoor weekly league and it is cold in the bay and every once in awhile somebody will try to run their greased gun. Fail.

I would make sure it is clean and lightly lubed. Works on my Open gun just fine.

+1 NO GREASE IN THE WINTER

+10 !!! :roflol: lol...

+10 !!! :roflol: lol...

it not too hot in Vegas this week also!!! :surprise:

Even in Oregon we're about 25 degrees with snow dust on the ground for tomorrow's USPSA. I plan on using an air compressor to blow everything out and then dropping just a few drops of Mobil One 5W30. I'm shooting a Glock 35, though, and not steel like you're asking about.

I think the only thing I'm worried about not working tomorrow is ME!!! Brrrrrrrrrrrr........

I've been running my match AR, plus my Versa-Max shotgun and M&P9Pro in sub freezing weather several times in the last few weeks. They are lubed and prepared in the same manner that I run them in the summer. Had one malfunctions on the SG, FTE when a local cop was shooting it, but none for me, my 12 year old or the other officers.

Unless it's Crisco, which has a tendency to react better to the cold...

Shooting today in 20-25 degree weather with a bone-chilling breeze at our back all day. My Glock had no shooting malfunctions, but my mags kept having issues staying in. Guns all around us, though, had various and sundry malfunctions. Can't tell you how many live rounds around the course from people recharging after a FTF or in a tap-rack.

The bigger malfunctions were mental. The cold made a lot of people, including me, just have stupid mental errors like forgetting mandatory reloads, reaching a new shooting location having forgotten to reload on the way, slowness in transitions, loading and clearing took a lot longer with exposed freezing hands. I kept getting fingers in the magwell during reloads (OUCH!!) because they were so cold I couldn't control them naturally.

A lot more can go wrong in freezing temps besides the fire control mechanisms in a gun.