Tac-Com super light buffer system.

kurtm

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I just got the rifle ULW kit. The instructions say that one part should have a rubber foot on it. Both of the parts in my kit are identical and have no rubber feet... so am I missing something here, or what?

I'm planning on using this with the Voodoo low mass BCG and seekins adjustable block. The spring I'm using is the JP tuned rifle spring. That's the right spring for this, right?

To the individuals looking to run the UL with a RCA lightweight carrier. I have had trouble with the bolt not locking back all the way in battery and getting light hits on the primer every 2 rounds. Switched back to the regular buffer and it worked fine. Just a heads up.

Adam

Hello everyone, new guy here. After lurking for a long time and picking up tips and tricks here and there, I decide to give the ULW buffer a try. I also run a RCA lightweight carrier. I started having the same problem with the bolt (not the ULW) after about 100 or so rounds. What seemed to be light strikes turned out to be the bolt not returning into battery. The bolt was not closing the extra 1/16 in to fire the round. After a pleasant and informative conversation with Tim at TACCOM, we found out that only rifles equipped with the RCA lightweight bolt were experiencing the same problem. He recommended to exchange the the RCA bolt gas rings with a Mcfarland one piece gas ring. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Instant smoothness of the bolt reciprocating in the carrier. Turns out the gas rings that came with RCA bolt were causing enough friction in the carrier to cause the bolt to not return to battery. A problem that was only able to be seen after going to a ultra lightweight buffer like TACCOM's. The Mcfarland gas ring is only about 5 bucks.Depending on the source, you might be able to find it cheaper. I say give it try with the new Mcfarland gas ring before getting rid of the ULW buffer. When in doubt give Tim @ TACCOM a call. You won't regret it.

Once again, Thank you Tim at TACCOM for the advise on getting my ar back up and running.

Hello everyone, new guy here. After lurking for a long time and picking up tips and tricks here and there, I decide to give the ULW buffer a try. I also run a RCA lightweight carrier. I started having the same problem with the bolt (not the ULW) after about 100 or so rounds. What seemed to be light strikes turned out to be the bolt not returning into battery. The bolt was not closing the extra 1/16 in to fire the round. After a pleasant and informative conversation with Tim at TACCOM, we found out that only rifles equipped with the RCA lightweight bolt were experiencing the same problem. He recommended to exchange the the RCA bolt gas rings with a Mcfarland one piece gas ring. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Instant smoothness of the bolt reciprocating in the carrier. Turns out the gas rings that came with RCA bolt were causing enough friction in the carrier to cause the bolt to not return to battery. A problem that was only able to be seen after going to a ultra lightweight buffer like TACCOM's. The Mcfarland gas ring is only about 5 bucks.Depending on the source, you might be able to find it cheaper. I say give it try with the new Mcfarland gas ring before getting rid of the ULW buffer. When in doubt give Tim @ TACCOM a call. You won't regret it.

Once again, Thank you Tim at TACCOM for the advise on getting my ar back up and running.

Dang! That is living right on the edge of reliability if your gas rings are causing too much friction for the bolt to go into battery. Should shoot nice and soft!

Is there a reciprocating weight in the front moving half of the buffer to prevent bolt bounce? I've read Kurt post in the past that some weight movement is necessary. Do these still come with a buffer spring?

Thank you for that, I will place the gas ring on order!!!!

They don't come with springs anymore. Mine didn't come with a rubber pad attached to one of the parts, either. I'm not sure if that's a design change, or screw up. Hopefully someone else here knows...

Uhmmm.....you need to contact me on that one.....sounds like you got 2 parts that are the same. Not dangerous......just may be a little noisey.

Regards'

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

So I have some questions.

I have recently removed my 16" carbine barrel and installed a Nordic 18" Rifle length barrel. Prior to switching out the barrel, I had installed the Taccom ULW system with the carbine buffer configuration. I also have an SLR adjustable block installed. I'm about to take it to the range and tune it and have two questions.

1. Even though I now have a rifle gas system, can I still keep my carbine buffer and use the Taccom ULW configured for carbine if I adjust the gas properly, or do I need to switch to a rifle buffer tube? I'd like to keep my current stock.

2. Assuming I can get the rifle to work properly with my current carbine buffer system, would I see any decrease in recoil if I switched to a rifle buffer tube and system? Which would help me shoot more flat?

From what I've been researching, I should be able to run it.. but I'm wondering if there are performance or benefits to go ahead and switch over to rifle buffer.

So I have some questions.

I have recently removed my 16" carbine barrel and installed a Nordic 18" Rifle length barrel. Prior to switching out the barrel, I had installed the Taccom ULW system with the carbine buffer configuration. I also have an SLR adjustable block installed. I'm about to take it to the range and tune it and have two questions.

1. Even though I now have a rifle gas system, can I still keep my carbine buffer and use the Taccom ULW configured for carbine if I adjust the gas properly, or do I need to switch to a rifle buffer tube? I'd like to keep my current stock.

2. Assuming I can get the rifle to work properly with my current carbine buffer system, would I see any decrease in recoil if I switched to a rifle buffer tube and system? Which would help me shoot more flat?

From what I've been researching, I should be able to run it.. but I'm wondering if there are performance or benefits to go ahead and switch over to rifle buffer.

Just my $0.02 - Using a carbine length buffer tube with a rifle length gas system is no problem at all as it's what I use now. You'll need to retune the gas block as there will be some difference in going from a carbine length gas system to a rifle length but you'd have to do that anyway regardless of buffer tube.

Gas system and recoil system should be treated separately....

You can.....

run a carbine gas system and a carbine buffer system

run a carbine gas system and a rifle buffer system

run a midlength gas system and a carbine buffer system

run a midlength gas system and a rifle buffer system

run a rifle gas system and a carbine buffer system

run a rifle gas system and a rifle buffer system

a carbine buffer system......would include a carbine buffer spring, carbine buffer and carbine buffer tube (or a rifle buffer tube with a correct length spacer)

a rifle buffer system......would include a rifle buffer spring, rifle buffer and rifle buffer tube.

It would be very bad to:

run a rifle buffer system with a carbine buffer spring

run a carbine buffer in a rifle buffer tube with out the correct length spacer

Tim

Gas system and recoil system should be treated separately....

You can.....

run a carbine gas system and a carbine buffer system

run a carbine gas system and a rifle buffer system

run a midlength gas system and a carbine buffer system

run a midlength gas system and a rifle buffer system

run a rifle gas system and a carbine buffer system

run a rifle gas system and a rifle buffer system

a carbine buffer system......would include a carbine buffer spring, carbine buffer and carbine buffer tube (or a rifle buffer tube with a correct length spacer)

a rifle buffer system......would include a rifle buffer spring, rifle buffer and rifle buffer tube.

It would be very bad to:

run a rifle buffer system with a carbine buffer spring

run a carbine buffer in a rifle buffer tube with out the correct length spacer

Tim

Thanks for the response, this clears part of my question up.

All things being equal, bolt carrier, rifle length barrel, gas block etc., would there be a noticeable difference in recoil between a carbine buffer system as opposed to a rifle buffer system?