Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide lock reload: do u use your strong hand thumb or weak hand?

Sandbagger123

Are you right handed?

I put the thumb of my right hand on the slide stop as I am doing the reload, no real pressure it is just kind of resting there. I run a modified extended slide stop but I did it with a stock slide release also, and when I seat the mag my thumb releases the slide with no concious effort. Give it a shot.

This is with 1911 and 2011 style guns. My Glocks auto forwarded when I seated the mag

I shot a G34 for 2 years and I used my strong hand thumb. When I switched to a CZ SP01 last year, I had to retrain myself to use my weak hand thumb. I just depends on the firearm for me but I prefer strong hand thumb.

I shot a G34 for 2 years and I used my strong hand thumb. When I switched to a CZ SP01 last year, I had to retrain myself to use my weak hand thumb. I just depends on the firearm for me but I prefer strong hand thumb.

this is the issue that i am having. i can reach the slide stop with my strong thumb on Glocks and MP's, but the 1911 and my k100, they are situated farther forward. I might need to retrain myself to do it that way fro all guns.

I have watched a few vids by pro shooters and a few of them advocate the use of the weak thumb.

I've tried both on my 1911's for a season each. I was more consistent and fast with my strong hand thumb but found that I need to use exactly the same brand and model slide stop on all guns for that to remain the case. If I shoot another person's pistol I use the weak hand thumb due to the differences from one brand of stop to another.

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm. do u guys ever get confused when in a match when running both styles?

Yes I did. Switching back and forth between a Glock in SSP and 1911 in CDP weekly, my performance dropped in both classes. I tried strong hand thumbing my slide release on the 1911 and weak hand thumbing my Glock. I finally stuck to one platform and performance became more consistent.