Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Infinity 5.4" Sight Tracker

RangerTrace

They have some new Diamond serrations that they didn't have when I ordered this one. That "might" be the only thing I'd change. This is the first time I've tried the FO in the rear sights as well as the front. Time will tell if that was the right decision. But, I love the look, feel and balance of the pistol. It's also the first blued, carbon steel Infinity I've owned.

They have some new Diamond serrations that they didn't have when I ordered this one. That "might" be the only thing I'd change. This is the first time I've tried the FO in the rear sights as well as the front. Time will tell if that was the right decision. But, I love the look, feel and balance of the pistol. It's also the first blued, carbon steel Infinity I've owned.

What do the "diamond" serrations look like??

What do the "diamond" serrations look like??

I'll try to get a pic of them. They looked cool, but I wasn't able to see them in person. If you'll join the Infinity FIrearms group on FB, it's on there.

That is so sweet! I like the 5.4" look; seems like a nice compromise for length.

I'm not sure about the skull. Looks cool on a competition gun but some prosecutor who is looking to make a name for himself may hold that against you. (Just kidding.)

That is so sweet! I like the 5.4" look; seems like a nice compromise for length.

I'm not sure about the skull. Looks cool on a competition gun but some prosecutor who is looking to make a name for himself may hold that against you. (Just kidding.)

Well, I hope I never give one a reason to think about it!!

I just completed my first 300 round range session with the 5.4 Sight Tracker. I'm very impressed. It has the best trigger of any Infinity pistol I've ever owned. They're all good, but this one rocks at a crisp 1.75#. Slide speed and sight recovery, especially on hoser targets is significantly faster than the 6" Infinity I've been shooting for the last two years. It shoots flat, but will be even flatter when I exchange the 14# recoil spring for a 12# recoil spring at 1K rounds.

It will take a few more rounds to determine if I like the 1mm FO front sight better than the 1.5mm I'm used to. And I'm still getting used to the rear FO sight, but I like it so far.

The only slight negative is it doesn't shoot plated bullets as well as the 6" pistol.

How does the "sight tracker" line differ from their other pistols. I looked on the website but couldn't seem to grasp the distinction.

My (very limited, beware) understanding is that the slide, above the front of the barrel, is milled away, exposing the barrel. The barrel has more material than a "normal" barrel -- it has a ridge of material built up along the top which fits into the removed area of the slide, so the "top surface" (for lack of a better term) appears of uniform level.

The front sight is then mounted into that ridge atop the barrel, so your front sight is on the barrel itself, like a revolver, as opposed to other semi-autos, where the sight is mounted in the slide.

I'm told this offers a very slight improvement in accuracy (as your sight is now always pointing where the barrel is aiming, as opposed to getting it's orientation from the slide) and (what I'm interested in knowing) perhaps there are benefits to the ease with which one can follow the sights / sight picture, since your front sight is now only moving up / down with recoil, as opposed to up+ down + back + forth with recoil and the motion of the slide. Easier to track == sight tracker??

I don't know about that last bit, so I'd love to hear some insanely feedback from those who have shot both!

Ummm,

You certainly have part of the answer there. The other two main ingredients are a lighter/faster slide and a heavier barrel. So, you have less reciprocating mass and another OZ or so on the end of the barrel which helps with muzzle flip. I will have time tomorrow to weigh some things, so I'll post comparisons of my 6" and 5.4" just for grins.

Ummm,

You certainly have part of the answer there. The other two main ingredients are a lighter/faster slide and a heavier barrel. So, you have less reciprocating mass and another OZ or so on the end of the barrel which helps with muzzle flip. I will have time tomorrow to weigh some things, so I'll post comparisons of my 6" and 5.4" just for grins.

Thanks for that info. So, can you tell us about the actual, visual, sight-pic benefits when compared to guns with sights on slides? I've never shot a revolver...

Thanks for that info. So, can you tell us about the actual, visual, sight-pic benefits when compared to guns with sights on slides? I've never shot a revolver...

There are people who have never shot revolvers?

As a revolver shooter I've been curious about the sight tracker guns myself. I have a hard time tracking the front sight on an auto, when they go bang the top of the gun explodes and stuff flies out everywhere.

There are people who have never shot revolvers?

As a revolver shooter I've been curious about the sight tracker guns myself. I have a hard time tracking the front sight on an auto, when they go bang the top of the gun explodes and stuff flies out everywhere.

I've only held one in my hands once...owner let me dry-fire it. If you have extras, I'll accept donations!

But that's interesting....so you feel a revolver is easier for sight tracking than a semi-auto with a slide. That could imply the sight tracker barrel is a great thing. I guess what would be more interesting would be to see people who do not have a hard time tracking the front sight on a semi-auto with a slide....do those people generally find a sight tracker barrel to still be an improvement. That would pretty much cinch it, I imagine.

Comparison between Stainless 6" bushing barreled Limited gun and Carbon Steel 5.4" Sight Tracker:

6" Limited Gun 5.4" Sight Tracker
Slide = 12.7 oz Slide = 11.6 oz
Barrel = 5.0 oz Barrel = 6.7 oz
Complete Pistol = 45.3 oz Complete Pistol = 46.8 oz
Whats kinda funny is, the 5.4" actually feels lighter in the hand than the 6" pistol.

Ok. I was wondering if that was a balance changer.

Which is faster.

Up close, without question the 5.4 smokes the 6. Time and practice will tell at distance. I also went from 1.5mm to 1.0mm FO front sight. So that will take some time to get used to also.