Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which state is the best state for shooting sports?

This is a pretty general question, but I am curious as to which states have the greatest number of matches and shooters in IDPA, IPSC, USPSA and 3-gun?

Also what type of demand is needed for a dentist in that area as I need to plan my future...haha..jk...well maybe not.

Edited by spikers220

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas - however, in both AZ or TX, it will depend on what part of the State you are in. Phoenix area probably has a greater concentration of "Sharks" than any other.

What do you mean by "sharks"? As in they try to water down their game to win a certain division or prize or something?

As far as I am concerned SW Ohio is the Mecca of USPSA. We shoot every weekend somewhere in season. We get a good winter break to dry fire and get caught up on reloading, gun work, etc.

PERFECT!

I remember when Arizona had a Wrecking Crew, didn't know they have sharks, too! :goof:

I've heard the same thing as Grumpy that FL has the largest number of USPSA shooters. Probably a way to find out on the USPSA website.

If you are really into 3g I'd lean harder towards the Western and South Western states where there is natural terrain which allows good shooting out to the 500yd or more mark. Florida is great for pistola, but is flat as a pancake and not a lot of ranges have 100+ yard shooting bays.

AZ for the amount of shooting you can do in a week.

I've been told you could shoot some sort of match almost everyday of the week. That includes all disciplines (IPSC/USPSA, 3 gun, steel, bianchi, etc, etc)

As for the amount of IPSC/USPSA shooters from state to state, the last count went something like this:

CA - 2038

TX - 1801

FL - 1717

AZ - 993

Not sure if they keep these numbers up to date on the USPSA.info website

My quick and dirty count...

In the Phoenix area the following monthly club-level matches are available year-round:

USPSA: 13

IDPA: 6

Steel: 8

ICORE: 2

Other Pistol: 3

3-Gun or Rifle/Shotgun: 6

Sub-Gun/Belt-Fed: 3

Furthermore, the quality of these matches is enhanced by having a large number of top shooters. There are other clubs in AZ outside of the Phoenix area as well (plus a lot of desert area to plink in).

If you live here, there are more matches than you can shoot! Lots of shooters shoot two-three matches per week.

AZ:

Phoenix:

2 world class outdoor facilities (Rio & Ben Avery). One even has a mounted shooting ring. With Trap,Skeet and Clays.

1 great outdoor facility

4 indoor ranges

More clubs than I can count.

Highest concentration of M&GM shooters with Rob ,Brian, Nils, Eddie, Nick, Joe, Angus and so on.

A2 Desert Classic

WSSSC

SMM3G

Tucson has clubs

Flagstaff has clubs

Prescott has clubs

Yuma has clubs

Some of the best Gunsmiths in the country.

2A Friendly gun laws.

Home of Dillon

and so on...