Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which state is the best state for shooting sports?

AZ:

Phoenix:

2 world class outdoor facilities (Rio & Ben Avery). One even has a mounted shooting ring. With Trap,Skeet and Clays.

1 great outdoor facility

4 indoor ranges

More clubs than I can count.

Highest concentration of M&GM shooters with Rob ,Brian, Nils, Eddie, Nick, Joe, Angus and so on.

A2 Desert Classic

WSSSC

SMM3G

Tucson has clubs

Flagstaff has clubs

Prescott has clubs

Yuma has clubs

Some of the best Gunsmiths in the country.

2A Friendly gun laws.

Home of Dillon

and so on...

Just what I need to look even shittier than I already am... :bow:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So I just got the "list" of possible places to get stationed. I'm in Augusta GA now. What would you go for ?

Fort Campbell, KY

Fort Knox, KY

Fort Hood, TX

Fort Huachuca, AZ

I really liked Fort Bliss, very close to all the BLM land in New Mexico, so I like the idea of Fort Huachuca but I don't think it can be considered Northern AZ

Florida Info.

These are just the ones I shoot somewhat regularly

Literally every Saturday and Sunday

Every Tuesday and Thursday Night

Frostproof

Port Malabar

Sunrise

Miami

Volusia County

This leaves out Ft. Meyers, Orlando, St Augustine, Jacksonville, Titusvillle

Definitely NOT Idaho.

Guess I could move - right now it takes me more than 4 minutes to get to our range.

Went out on New Year's Day only to run into about 40-50 shooters having a "Korean War Era" match.

Shooters around here own just about any type of firearm (full auto, .50 caliber, 100 round mags, etc.)

(There's even a gunsmith that will make a vintage Gatling Gun for you if you want one.)

Seems like they are holding a match every weekend! (At least members can go out to the range anytime they want.)

As far as dentistry is concerned; there may not be very much call for that based upon the number of people here with only 3-4 visible teeth.

Aside for all the hunting going on, you probably be better off not shooting in Idaho.

Ranger6

"If it's on the internet, it's got to be true. They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true." A. Lincoln

Still haven't heard anything that remotely comes close to Florida ... Texas maybe and I did like it when I lived there for 4 years but I was not shooting back then I was offshore fishing ...

Ability to shoot year round (except for today, it was 52 degs w/15 mph winds ..... (Reminded me of the month I spent in Thule, Greenland)

Great gun laws

USPSA clubs everywhere (here in central Fl I can shoot a match every weekend all year no more than 1 hr from my house)

Women running around in bikinis

Any questions ....:)?

Edited by Nimitz

I'd have to agree Phoenix area would probably be top of list considering climate and shooting opportunities and the preponderance of "Sharks" in the area.

Dallas area used to be better but there are not as many matches available as there were in the early 90s.

So I just got the "list" of possible places to get stationed. I'm in Augusta GA now. What would you go for ?

Fort Campbell, KY

Fort Knox, KY

Fort Hood, TX

Fort Huachuca, AZ

I really liked Fort Bliss, very close to all the BLM land in New Mexico, so I like the idea of Fort Huachuca but I don't think it can be considered Northern AZ

I would go to Fort Hood. If you are looking for things to do there is plenty of them. I can think of just 5 ranges within 45 miles. Plenty of various shooting matches to keep a man happy for a long time. :)

Interesting that the original poster is in MN. I am too. It will be -70 degrees with the windchill in this hell hole tomorrow. So cold that the governor stepped in on Friday and cancelled all public schools for Monday.

MN is no in the top 40 for best states for shooters just based on winter.

I am still trying to figure out why I turned down a job opportunity in Scottsdale.

Just a thought about FL. I live in the NE portion of the state. Within a 2.5 hour drive of me are 7 clubs that hold a monthly IDPA match, and 1 that does 'Invitational' matches. 3 hold Steel Challenge. 2 hold ICORE. 3 hold USPSA. 1 holds 'Action Rimfire' matches.... and these are just the ones I'm aware of. Shorten that drive to 1.5 hours and I can take my pick of one or two matches an just about any given Saturday or Sunday, in the various disciplines..

So many matches, so little time. And, in this climate there is no 'shooting season'. We go 12 months a year, but do take a break when a hurricane looms.

FL also has a 'Shall Issue' CCW permit system... no State income tax... and if you live in your legally listed residence the first $25,000 of property va;ue assessment are exempt from property taxes.

If you like to fish... OK, that's another subject. But, it's pretty good and draws people from all over the world. 'Fishing Guide' is a legitimate full-time occupation here.

Just a thought.

Not South Dakota. Please nobody move here. We prefer to have our gun ranges, and massive public lands all to ourselves, or at most share them with like minded people. So, all you "city folk" just move to another "city folk" state. :D