Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" limited gun availability?

gearguywb

Started back shooting this year after a long layoff and most of my old go-to gunsmiths have retired or are no longer in business.

Anyone have a line on a good 'smith with decent timeline to have something like a STI framed 40 6" gun built? Thinking about something like that not only for IPSC but also to shoot metallic sight at Bianchi this coming season.

Thanks!

Merle

Camerons Custom Guns; they're build time is about 3-4 months. Not to long after I got my Camerons 6" my scores went up almost one whole class. Great guns looking guns which are tight and more importantly run. Problem is finding barrels right now for builds. Everyone seems to be out. My Camerons 6" will be available in about a month after they finish my new build :devil::devil::devil:

• 2 weeks later...

If I was looking at a 6" gun I'd be giving a long, hard look at LoneStar Innovations. He's built a 6" length gun using a 5" slide and barrel extension that might well be the way to go. Plus, if I understand correctly, he's able to use most everything from a 5" gun and get the benefits of its lower reciprocating mass. Looks really cool. Just a thought,

Cheers623

If I was looking at a 6" gun I'd be giving a long, hard look at LoneStar Innovations. He's built a 6" length gun using a 5" slide and barrel extension that might well be the way to go. Plus, if I understand correctly, he's able to use most everything from a 5" gun and get the benefits of its lower reciprocating mass. Looks really cool. Just a thought,

Cheers623

That's not exactly a new concept, numerous builders have done this over the years.

Didn't say it was a new idea...just well executed and different than the prevailing guns currently being built. Anyone who's been following the sport knows it traces its roots to the old Open guns with comp-mounted iron sights. What's old is new again...

Cheers623

These threads crack me up. Everybody votes for their favorite and the op is no better off than when he started. I have guns from a lot of those listed on this thread. All are good, some required a little more work than others to get there. There is only one that I would recommed running, not walking, away from. If you want to know who and why, PM me. I will be glad to share my recommendations there as well. Almost all listed here will give you a good gun.

Didn't say it was a new idea...just well executed and different than the prevailing guns currently being built. Anyone who's been following the sport knows it traces its roots to the old Open guns with comp-mounted iron sights. What's old is new again...

Cheers623

Like this one?

post-25397-0-16729900-1385084507_thumb.j

Since this got bumped back up......

I sent emails to 4 of the builders mentioned in one way or another here, all saying the same thing. "Potentially interested in 6" gun. Would does availability/timeline look like. What are your thoughts comparing a lightened 6" gun to a full dustcover 40".

Received 1 reply (Dan Bedell). Followed up with a conversation with Dan. He is firmly in the corner of a sight tracker 5" gun, and with well thought out reasoning. Enjoyed the conversation and he is certainly on the short list.

Merle

Here's my 6"

I wanted the additional sight radius without the extra weight. The bbl is a 6" Schuemann tribrid for a 5" slide.

If you're going to have a sight tracker built, I don't see any real downside to going with a 6" bbl instead of a 5"

post-5006-0-66878000-1385085904_thumb.jp

Since this got bumped back up......

I sent emails to 4 of the builders mentioned in one way or another here, all saying the same thing. "Potentially interested in 6" gun. Would does availability/timeline look like. What are your thoughts comparing a lightened 6" gun to a full dustcover 40".

Received 1 reply (Dan Bedell). Followed up with a conversation with Dan. He is firmly in the corner of a sight tracker 5" gun, and with well thought out reasoning. Enjoyed the conversation and he is certainly on the short list.

Merle

I have some of Dan's guns - Workhorses for sure. Dan isn't eaten up with southern hospitality, but he knows what he is doing when it comes to building guns.