Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will this work? 180 gr. Major, 165 gr. Minor, same charge and OAL

beltjones

I want a minor .40 load for certain steel matches, and I was wondering if this will work, or if anyone has any experience with a similar idea.

My major load is the following:

180gr PD FMJ

5.3 gr. N320

1.200" OAL

That gets me about 950fps out of an SVI AET barrel.

What if I keep everything the same, but just swap for a 165 gr. PD FMJ bullet? What can I expect?

I've done that. I use WST and load to 1.18 but I'll switch from a 180 to a 155 or 165 for steel matches like pro am and my gun will run all day long without switching any springs or anything else. I've never chrono'd with the lighter bullet but they feel good. Are you aiming for a particular PF or do you just wanna know if they work?

Brandon

I've done that. I use WST and load to 1.18 but I'll switch from a 180 to a 155 or 165 for steel matches like pro am and my gun will run all day long without switching any springs or anything else. I've never chrono'd with the lighter bullet but they feel good. Are you aiming for a particular PF or do you just wanna know if they work?

Brandon

Yeah, I don't need a particular PF as long as it will knock down steel plates and doesn't give horrible accuracy. I'll give it a try and let you guys know how it works out.

I'd be interested to know if you can detect any difference in recoil. I wasn't able to in my experience when using the same charge and different weight bullets.

Yeah, it's only a 15 gr difference, so maybe there won't be a noticeable difference in feel.

• 4 weeks later...