Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage planning fail with video

Feralshooter

Had a total brainfart this weekend at our local match. It was the most complex stage I had shot in terms of the number of ways it could be shot and in the end I had it narrowed down to 2 ways. Anyway, the RO hit the delete button and sure enough my brain rebooted. Completely forgot my plan and therefor the 2nd port on the left.

The video actually shows the targets before the start, almost like "watch him forget about all these ones". The close paper was from port 1 on left and the 2 low papers and plate were only visible from the 2nd port on the left.

At the end I see my mistake but stupidly thought the time to run back, reload and engage then would blow my run even worse. Later I realized that if it took me less than 50 seconds more I still would have been better off.

3 FTE, 5 mikes and 25 points missed equals 105 points down on a 165 point stage. Lesson learned.

Had a good laugh about it, especially when a couple of master grade shooters who hadn't seen my mistake heard my time - sure got their attention for a moment.

Before I cop too much flak for my form and (lack of) speed, I should mention that I'm a complete beginner. I started shooting IPSC 3 months ago and had never shot in any competition before that. Please be kind (smiley face ).

Oops, seems I can't post links yet.

If you search YouTube for videos by feralshooter, it is the only one and is 1:11 long.

Edited by Feralshooter

Live and learn. I shot an IDPA match where it was very hard to keep track of what you had shot and what you had not. You would not believe the number of really good shooters that ended up placing four rounds on one target and failing to shoot another.

in the end I had it narrowed down to 2 ways.

Pick A plan and stick with it. The "best" plan for you may not be the same "best" plan for another shooter. I know for me, I might shoot a stage one way if it is early in the match, but after 8 hours and 10 stages in 90 degree heat, I'll switch to a more conservative plan. A well executed slow plan will always beat a fast plan where you screw the pooch.

At least you didn't celebrate. I was so pumped after flying through a stage with great hits I did a tiger woods style celebration seconds before noticing the 3 target array that i completely ignored making for the great time. The good thing is shame is a powerful motivator and you will probably program like crazy from now on.

Visualization is a skill you must learn to master but overlooked by average shooters. Without it you will always be shooting using your conscious mind and prone to repeat what happened here. Lean to do it now and it will pay big dividends down the road ...

Thanks for the tips all. I have been reading on this forum about visualization and doing it pretty well on most stages. On this one it just all fell apart. Lol.

The real lesson I learned, that is probably well known by everyone else, is that the penalty for forgetting these targets was so high. I had previously wasted some time with makeup shots for C or D hits and was told to just let those points go rather than spend the extra time to get all available points. I applied that logic to this situation and so decided not to reload and finish these targets. ?

When I worked out that I ended up with 60 points in 31 seconds, it was clear that a time up to about 80 seconds with the full 165 points would have still had a better HF. ?

Now I know. Even if I forget my plan or things go wrong, it's always going to be worth the time to pick up multiple unshot targets.

Of course a solid plan would negate this ?

Good news is this happens to all of us from time to time. I had a good shooter tell me one time that it takes at least 3 trips through the stage with your given plan before it is committed to memory. Best part is this sport is so much fun that you can have a blast even when you blow it. Welcome to the sport and good luck.

Brain farts never help either. I shot a match on Saturday and the first target array was two white no shoots butted up against a normal tan target at about 7 yards. Buzzer went off an I fired a perfect "A" hit to center mass on the left no-shoot. Shot the rest of the stage perfectly. When asked what happened I explained it was just a brain fart I actually aimed for the no-shoot by mistake. Oh well.

Brain farts never help either. I shot a match on Saturday and the first target array was two white no shoots butted up against a normal tan target at about 7 yards. Buzzer went off an I fired a perfect "A" hit to center mass on the left no-shoot. Shot the rest of the stage perfectly. When asked what happened I explained it was just a brain fart I actually aimed for the no-shoot by mistake. Oh well.

Because you looked at it... BTDT

(Ignore the no-shoots, focus on the shoot targets, even if it is surrounded by no-shoots. (i.e. when planning - I have this much of a target. The sub-conscious ignores negative qualifiers.))

I ran right past a stop at the monster match, but at least I remembered to go back and didn't get 2 mike FTE X 2

I wish I would have had that presence of mind during my last match at WAC. I managed to bungle a stage with my first FTE clown show. You can even see me in the video looking at the target at the end and realizing that it didn't actually have any holes in it. I thought about telling the RO that I was going to engage it, but I didn't want to give him the grief and just take my lumps.

What was even better is that I did it in from of Miguel Ingles who is one of my local shooting mentors. I know he saw me screw up because he's the one holding my phone and filming it. :)

You can watch me in all of my non-glory here.

Rodan, I wouldn't say I hated hearing it, but you can see the shock and confusion on my face and nearly hear the cogs in my head grinding before I laugh it off and show clear again. Still laugh at it now.

Wildkcars, absolutely right. I still had a blast, and thanks for the welcome. I think in hooked for life.

Kirbinster, I'm sure I've got that to look forward to. Already came close once.

a Matt, I'm sure you're right, but next time I'm gunna keep shooting. Lol

Wayne's world, that's what I should have done evidently.

Eric, I feel your pain. My mentor was watching too and I felt like I let him down. He was ok with it tho cause he had narfed the stage already and reckons I would have beaten him if I shot it clean. Damn, that was my chance....

Ps. Where are the smiley faces? I hope the above comes across as good natured as intended despite their absence.