Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not happy with N320 and Frontier 147 RN

NicVerAZ

I was using Unique before and it worked well until we hit summertime in Arizona and my accuracy was terrible.

I got some Tightgroup and was happy with it but ran out and can't find any.

A local guy sold me a 4Lbs container of N320 but I wonder if this was the right choice.

My current load, out of my Grand Power K100, gets a 130PF but I am not satisfied at all with accuracy. At 10 yards, my group was about 8 inches and worse than that at 13 yards. All done standing, taking my time, by the way.

I am used to shooting 2-inch groups at 10 yards in these conditions with my previous loads.

Here is my current recipe: 3.6gr N320, WSP, range brass, 147gr Frontier RN CMJ, OAL: 1.150

I am shooting a regional (Area 2) in less than 2 weeks, I guess I can try different ideas of modifications at the indoor range for accuracy and chrono what works best.

I am also finding out that the powder does not burn cleanly in my gun. Unique was actually just as dirty, which makes me think that the powder is not allowed to burn properly.

Any doctor in the room?

I would appreciate :)

Edited by NicVerAZ

Hmm, not the type of results I found with that combo.

Just for giggles, were your groups round?

I'd weigh and micrometer the bullets for morbid curiosity.

My guess is the bullets are slightly smaller in diameter and not providing the back pressure needed to get the clean burn.

I don't see a fix, in that you are at PF. You could reduce the powder charge and shorten them up a little, but I'd look for a different bullet or a different powder.

Sorry for the bum steer.

Well I do have other bullets, but they are Berrys 124gr HP: http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i15021-c11-g8-b0-p0-9mm_356_124gr_HP___1000ct.aspx

I've known since the beginning that these bullets were so-so accurate, since they are plated and restrike, but that is worse than usual. The measurement is fine and they weigh 147gr.

This is what Grauffel uses for TRAINING by the way (he does shoot quite a lot).

I too drank the N320 Kool-Aid and "had" to try it. I was extremely disappointed with it's accuracy. I wasted a summer making changes in my reloading process and I was never able to shoot groups tighter than 8" to 10" at 25 yards. I have heard many here say that "for our sport, this sort of accuracy is perfectly acceptable" but, if you want to shoot Alphas, I find these groups unacceptable. I humbly went back to using Titegroup and I see no reason to stray from what works.

I chrono'd from my G17

147gr Frontier CMJ

3.7gr/N320

OAL = 1.150"

Av Vel = 910.7fps

PF = 133

This is a soft shooting load, and I found it to be accurate enough for IDPA/USPSA/IPSC.

As Frontier say to load their bullets like jacketed, 3.9gr/N320 is max.

I chrono'd from my G17

147gr Frontier CMJ

3.7gr/N320

OAL = 1.150"

Av Vel = 910.7fps

PF = 133

This is a soft shooting load, and I found it to be accurate enough for IDPA/USPSA/IPSC.

As Frontier say to load their bullets like jacketed, 3.9gr/N320 is max.

Thanks, I can always bump the amount of powder up to 3.7gr.

I had an indoor match yesterday and it performed ok but not to the standard I was used to. I am not sure that N320 is best for that bullet weight.

And guess what... so says the Vit manual, which recommends 330 or 340 for 147 RN.

Pulled: .3535

Over crimped. There should not be any difference in diameter before and after. I think you found the problem. I am shooting this same load and bullet in four different guns, accuracy is from really good to excellent at 1.150 OAL.

Edited by bowenbuilt

8 inches at 10 yards? The powder is not the problem in my opinion. I have never heard of a powder causing such a deviation at that range. I have found 320 to be the best powder for both fmj and moly bullets, however, even my least favorite powder provided accuracy within .5 inches at 10 yards to n320.

I have fixed the crimp, it is now .3555 / .356 uncrimped, closer to .356.

I am using 3.1gr of N320 and am getting an avg of 900fps with good accuracy out of my M&P Pro w/5" barrel. But then I am also using a Bayou 147gr bullet.

OAL?

Edited by NicVerAZ