Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Precision Customer Service

So I used Lee's customer service page and entered a ticket for my 9mm die set and 45 shell plate for my Loadmaster. With the 9mm set cases are continously getting stuck in the sizing die, with the shell plate one of the 5 slots is not sized correctly and the shells willl not slide in without my man handling it.

this is the response I received:

Hi Casey,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems. The Load Master, like any progressive press requires adjustment to perform at its best.

The 9mm case is a tapered case and because of this it is difficult to size. The carbide insert in the die is also tapered and much longer than the carbide insert in the 45 ACP sizing die. It is harder to size a 9mm case than it is to size a 45 ACP case. The farther you push the 9mm case into the sizing die the more of the case comes in contact with the insert and the harder it gets. Sizing a 9mm case is more like sizing a small rifle case in this respect. And just as a rifle case must be lubed prior to resizing putting lube on 9mm cases will make them much easier to size. Even lubing every 8th or 10th case will make a difference.

The easiest way to remove a stuck case is to leave the die in the press and loosen but do not remove the clamp nut at the top of the die that secures the decapping rod. After loosening the clamp nut use a 3/16 inch punch and a hammer to drive the decapping rod and case from the bottom of the die. The clamp nut will act as a guide to hold the punch and decapping rod straight.

If you return the shell plate and one or two cases that will not fit in the one opening I will adjust the opening in the shell plate for you. Include a note explaining the problem and send the plate and cases to my attention at the addres below. If you have a Dremel type tool and the proper size grinding wheel you may be able to adjust the opening yourself. From your description you would only have to remove one or two .001".

Thanks,

Peter
Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: 262-673-3075

Ticket Details

Ticket ID: DZZ-526-75326
Department: CustomerService
Type: Issue
Priority: Normal

So they are telling me that I need to lubel my pistol cases in a carbide die set, and they closed my ticket before either item was resolved.

This is what I sent them:

I have already removed one stuck case. Every 9mm case I put through the die becomes stuck and needs a lot of pressure on the press lever to be removed. Now there is a second one that pulled out of the shellplate it is so stuck. I am not going to continuously use a hammer for every round I put through your dies. I am unsatisfied and expect to have a resolution considering Lee claims to have a guarantee if the product does not work properly, and THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT WORK. I have included a PDF of your webpage for the 9mm carbide sizing die and have highlighted where it specifically states "no case lube needed" I have also included a copy of the Lee Precision Gaurantee which states "Lee Reloading products are guaranteed not to wear out break from normal use for two full years or they will be repaired or replaced at no charge." Since this is to be at "No Charge" I expect a shipping label for both my 9mm die SET and the 45 shell plate, and I will include some of the 45 brass that does not fit the one position on the shell plate.

I will be posting this email thread and all future corespondence to the Brian Enos Forum and The Beretta Forum for other reloaders to see the quality of customer service provided by Lee Precision.

I had thought I heard that Lee customer service was good. Whats this all about? Am I out of line requesting a shipping label?

I had thought I heard that Lee customer service was good. Whats this all about? Am I out of line requesting a shipping label?

Without seeing your original request, we have no idea if you asked for a shipping label originally or that you wanted to return the items for them to review.

The time you spent posting this probably could have been better spent on the phone with Lee to determine a reasonable solution.

Sounds like they gave you an honest answer. I reload 9mm on a loadmaster and always give the brass a shot of "one shot" in a ziplock bag, no problems. The only problem I have run into is seating primers on crimped/tight pocket brass which I suspect would be the same on almost any press. Timing/adjestment of the loadmaster is very critical to smooth operation.

Edited by Nuke8401

Timing/adjestment of the loadmaster is very critical to smooth operation.

This is the most true statement I have ever heard. Anytime I start reloading a new caliber I have to spend an hour or more trying to get everythign working right. I still have problems reloading .40 every single time I try to do it. either the case is missaligned from the dies or the indexing rod will not slide out on the down stroke.

Timing/adjestment of the loadmaster is very critical to smooth operation.

This is the most true statement I have ever heard. Anytime I start reloading a new caliber I have to spend an hour or more trying to get everythign working right. I still have problems reloading .40 every single time I try to do it. either the case is missaligned from the dies or the indexing rod will not slide out on the down stroke.

Just think of how much time you've wasted with that piece of junk. I had one for a week. It went back. I won't put up with poor engineering. The British made a car series like the Lee Loadmaster. It was called the MG. You had to tinker with it as much as you drove it. Wouldn't own one of those either.

I think LEE is bsing you on this. Not using lube makes it tougher to load. It should not be required to keep from getting cases stuck in a die. I use a Udie and it takes a good bit more effort without lube but I have never even come close to pulling the rim off of a case.

Especially with a tapered case, most of the resistance should be on the downstroke

So I used Lee's customer service page and entered a ticket for my 9mm die set and 45 shell plate for my Loadmaster. With the 9mm set cases are continously getting stuck in the sizing die, with the shell plate one of the 5 slots is not sized correctly and the shells willl not slide in without my man handling it.

this is the response I received:

Hi Casey,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems. The Load Master, like any progressive press requires adjustment to perform at its best.

The 9mm case is a tapered case and because of this it is difficult to size. The carbide insert in the die is also tapered and much longer than the carbide insert in the 45 ACP sizing die. It is harder to size a 9mm case than it is to size a 45 ACP case. The farther you push the 9mm case into the sizing die the more of the case comes in contact with the insert and the harder it gets. Sizing a 9mm case is more like sizing a small rifle case in this respect. And just as a rifle case must be lubed prior to resizing putting lube on 9mm cases will make them much easier to size. Even lubing every 8th or 10th case will make a difference.

The easiest way to remove a stuck case is to leave the die in the press and loosen but do not remove the clamp nut at the top of the die that secures the decapping rod. After loosening the clamp nut use a 3/16 inch punch and a hammer to drive the decapping rod and case from the bottom of the die. The clamp nut will act as a guide to hold the punch and decapping rod straight.

If you return the shell plate and one or two cases that will not fit in the one opening I will adjust the opening in the shell plate for you. Include a note explaining the problem and send the plate and cases to my attention at the addres below. If you have a Dremel type tool and the proper size grinding wheel you may be able to adjust the opening yourself. From your description you would only have to remove one or two .001".

Thanks,

Peter

Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.

4275 Highway U

Hartford, WI 53027

phone: 262-673-3075

Ticket Details

Ticket ID: DZZ-526-75326

Department: CustomerService

Type: Issue

Priority: Normal

So they are telling me that I need to lubel my pistol cases in a carbide die set, and they closed my ticket before either item was resolved.

This is what I sent them:

I have already removed one stuck case. Every 9mm case I put through the die becomes stuck and needs a lot of pressure on the press lever to be removed. Now there is a second one that pulled out of the shellplate it is so stuck. I am not going to continuously use a hammer for every round I put through your dies. I am unsatisfied and expect to have a resolution considering Lee claims to have a guarantee if the product does not work properly, and THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT WORK. I have included a PDF of your webpage for the 9mm carbide sizing die and have highlighted where it specifically states "no case lube needed" I have also included a copy of the Lee Precision Gaurantee which states "Lee Reloading products are guaranteed not to wear out break from normal use for two full years or they will be repaired or replaced at no charge." Since this is to be at "No Charge" I expect a shipping label for both my 9mm die SET and the 45 shell plate, and I will include some of the 45 brass that does not fit the one position on the shell plate.

I will be posting this email thread and all future corespondence to the Brian Enos Forum and The Beretta Forum for other reloaders to see the quality of customer service provided by Lee Precision.

Did you ever take that die apart and clean it? That is always best with new dies, because they may be stored with protective coatings or have trace metallic particles that need to be flushed.

If your whole case hinges on demanding a prepaid label, we've heard this before, and it ain't gonna happen. Let it go.

I think LEE is bsing you on this. Not using lube makes it tougher to load. It should not be required to keep from getting cases stuck in a die. I use a Udie and it takes a good bit more effort without lube but I have never even come close to pulling the rim off of a case.

Especially with a tapered case, most of the resistance should be on the downstroke

This is my main point here, and the reason I asked you all. Specifically because he is trying to play it off as if it is a given that I should be lubing 9mm cases. BTW I have only reloaded about 500 rounds with this die set so there is no reason this die should have a build up or brass or anything in it, and it sure as snot shouldn't be worn out. Surprisingly between here and beretta forum I have had about 30% say they lube 9mm, the vast majority of those lube all other pistol rounds too.

Here was the latest email from Lee customer support:

If the 9mm cases you are loading are highly polished that will make the more prone stick in the die and they may have also deposited brass on the carbide surface which will leave scratches on the cases and cause stuck cases. This brass build up can be scrubbed from the carbide using a stiff metal bore brush or it can be sanded out. Loaders that load high volumes of 9mm use lube on the cases. It reduces the friction of sizing so your press will operate more easily. If you wish you may include the 9mm sizing die with your shell plate and I will examine it for you. Please include some fired unsized cases for testing.

The Lee guarantee does state that the product will be be replaced at no charge "if returned to the factory". The cost of shipping the product to the factory is yours. Lee will pay the shipping to return the product to you.

The brass I am using is Range pickup, mixed headstamp, and tumbled for a few hours in walnut its not Highly polished at all. I am not loading high volumes at all as I stated I have only loaded about 500 rounds. I know this count because I bought one box of 500 cast bullets to start my reloading adventure, and have just bought my first 200 plated which is when I started having more problems.

I process brass by the thousands with my 650. I lube every case, whether rifle or pistol that goes through the press. I make my own lube with 32 oz of 91% Iso Alky and 4 Oz of Lanolin. It's simply too cheap to not lube it. It also makes the press work infinitely easier and I've NEVER had a stuck case.

Don't swim upstream. Lube the cases and be done.

Ive used lee customer service before but used the phone. I'll be honest here they do have good phone service. I did own a loadmaster but gave up on it and went Dillon. I've never been happier. Yes it may cost more upfront but it works.[/quote

+1 for the phone service. Sometimes it's just easier for them to understand you, and you to understand them on the phone. I never used to lube my pistol cases, but after trying it once with the Dillon spray lube, I won't load without lube anymore. It's just that much easier on me and the equipment

• 4 weeks later...

I lightly lube only every 5th to tenth case with Imperial. I only do this on 9mm. Never had a stuck case, but I am using RCBS carbide dies. Try cleaning the die thoroughly with solvent before using it for the first time then try loading with occasional lubrication like I do. If you get even one stuck case, send the dies back.

Maybe I'm immune by now seeing so many customer cases (for customers paying orders of magnitudes more than a $30 die set), but I don't think the initial response or subsequent one were all that bad.

While I do think they should have mentioned initial die setup process, initial die cleaning (you didn't answer this; have you cleaned the dies since purchase?), and checking inside for any obvious burrs or issues inside the die...they gave you a path to make it right.

I lube all my cases ever since I tried it for the first time. I loaded for decades without lubing pistol cases though and never stuck one.

I have never had a problem with Lee, they have always been pretty much like Dillon on replacing broken parts for me, they generally want a photo though. Not sure why they can't just take my word that the decapping pin broke, if I really wanted to cheat them out of pins I would just keep taking different photos of the same broken pin anyway...

I lube all my cases ever since I tried it for the first time. I loaded for decades without lubing pistol cases though and never stuck one.

I have never had a problem with Lee, they have always been pretty much like Dillon on replacing broken parts for me, they generally want a photo though. Not sure why they can't just take my word that the decapping pin broke, if I really wanted to cheat them out of pins I would just keep taking different photos of the same broken pin anyway...

They need a picture because its not a decapping pin its an 'unbreakable' decapping pin thus you have done the impossible. I know when I broke my first unbreakable decapping pin I expect there to be a news conference but nope... Maybe they should change the name of it.

Just adding to this - I use a Lee Carbide 9mm die set, no issues here with them, but I do lube 9mm.

One Shot IMO is a great lube for this purpose - I have a big plastic coffee container full of brass 'ready to go.' Shake One Shot, open lid, mist briefly, swirl around a bit, another mist. Close lid and shake briefly, open lid to let 'dry.' Load up primer tubes and ready to go. At this rate, I'm over 5k 9mm reloaded and still going strong on one can...pretty OK with that.

As others have said, as well as Lee - you don't need to lube w/carbide dies, but try it - things just work more smoothly, so why not?

I don't de-lube One Shot pistol cases, either.

My experiance with Lee was similar, I had purchased a set for .38 Short Colt. After being told I had no idea what I was doing, and was I using the dies correctly. It finally came down to the wrong sizing die in the kit. No apology, no what can we do to make it right. I just needed to send it back where I got it and get another one. Guy was just plain rude. So, I paid twice the price, to get RCBS, and I'll never buy a Lee product again......

lube see what happens. also, you will find that some 9mm cases are harder to resize due to the load that was used. I usually can tell a S&B case as they require a bit more effort to resize. once lubed though, they go in like butter. before that sometime they would lift the table up on the upstroke.

A can of lube is less the $10. try it out, and perhaps it might convince you