Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor Freelance +10 mag extensions

melissa5

Before I bought these I asked what were the most reliable extensions and most everyone said Taylor Freelance. So, I bought one and have yet to get through a stage without the spring binding up and having it spit out rounds. What am I doing wrong?

The follower might get hung up where it transitions between the mag and the extension (there will be a seem there, where they come together).

If there are any burrs or flashing, you'd want to clean that up. You want a nice and smooth path and transition on the inside of the mag.

Also, ...and this is with the old school followers... I used to take a nail file, then a nail buffing kit and touch up the bottom corners of the legs of the followers. Not really looking to remove material, just really smooth them up so they don't have any friction or really pointy parts to get hung up as they ride inside the mag well. Be careful though, touch them up too much and the follower is likely to wobble around (not good, I believe).

Oh. I asked about your bullet length and profile because...

Mine would run a full stack of Winchester white box ammo (FMJ at 1.160) Those are long, but kinda pointy in bullet profile. When I tried my JHP bullets at the same length, they would get hung up if I loaded more than 10 or so. Their bullet had a different shape, and they didn't like to be out at 1.160 (which is really about the max length you can every hope to get through the Glock mags anyway).

Your 1.125 FMJs should be fine. (measure them to be sure)

Oh. I asked about your bullet length and profile because...

Mine would run a full stack of Winchester white box ammo (FMJ at 1.160) Those are long, but kinda pointy in bullet profile. When I tried my JHP bullets at the same length, they would get hung up if I loaded more than 10 or so. Their bullet had a different shape, and they didn't like to be out at 1.160 (which is really about the max length you can every hope to get through the Glock mags anyway).

Your 1.125 FMJs should be fine. (measure them to be sure)

I had that same issue with mine. I used some FMJ's and some JHP's that were the same length. FMJ's ran through the mag just fine. But the JHP's would get caught up and rounds would dump out. I had to shorten the OAL a tad for them to work right for me.

For me, it only did this with 1 of my mags. I could put the same rounds in my other mags and wouldn't have any issues.

I had the same problems, Gen 4 G17, on mine it was the front bottom of the mag where it was hanging up.

I kept removing material from the front edge of the mag until they worked.

On mine it ended up being almost all the way through, basically to a point, and tapered back up into the mag about 1/2", WAY more than I ever though it would take.

Just like the OP, I had a box of skittles several times during a match before I got them to run 100%

They ALWAYS worked during practice :angry: get to a match . . . skittles.

• 2 years later...

I am having similar trouble. FMJs work fine at normal length, but JHPs get bound up and the mag turns into a salt shaker. However, this is not a problem with the transition between the mag and TF basepad. The follower gets stuck at the very bottom of the TF basepad. The OAL must be too long because the corner of the hollow point digs into the delrin sidewall and prevents the follower from moving up. A FMJ profile works fine at longer OAL because the points just slide along. But if the JHP rotates or shifts at all, the edge of the point digs in. This sucks because the +10 basepads were designed for open division where you need to load as long as possible for major. My load is at 1.147 and apparently that's too long. I spent $100 on these mag extensions and to me they are pretty much worthless. I will either make my own 170mm mags or buy the new ones being produced by magpul.