Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primary Arms 1-6 Scope

Alaskapopo

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-1-6X-Scope-with-ACSS-Reticle-p/pa1-6xrbd.htm

Marshall came out with what I think will be a winner for the entry level optic market. I got to play with this scope on a friends rifle at last weeks match. The reticle was good and easy to use. The illumination was not daylight visible but the reticle was bold enough that it could be used quickly. Marshall has always sponsored the matches we have hosted up here. He stands behind what he sells. So if your looking for a 1-6 scope in the sub $300 market this one is it.
Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see, as Jack stated, its overall durability and lengevity. There are some questionable reviews on ARFCOM and on thier website itself (namely illumination, reticle size and crispness, and possibly not true 1x), but if after awhile, if the the reviews are as good as thier Micro and 1-4, I might take a look/as a backup. Field reviews would be nice rather than "by word of mouth". Not saying cheap is not the way to go, if that is the case, all those Burris MTACs, Millets, etc. I've seen would fit that category. 1-6 at that price may be in favor of those getting into 3Gun.

Edited by KTKlaus

I'll give it a shot, I have a backup build that needs an updated optic. Heck, if it goes well, might run it at Blue Ridge... maybe... still like my Bushnell 1-6.5. Ill post some reviews when it gets here.

So it showed up today along with a ADM mount... quickly I noticed that the finish was pretty good and smooth, not compared to some "cheaper" scopes ive seen, (Despite the shiney glare in the photos, that was due to me cleaning my rifle with firelcean and flash). This is not a full review, just things I have noticed.

Some other things I have noticed after looking through it and playing with it:

Pros

1) It does have a true 1x, just have to play with the focus like any other scope and distances.

2) Elevation and windage has audible and detent click and rotate well, and protected by caps.

3) Clear glass (not as crisp maybe say to a Swaro, but still pretty good).

4) Eye box is very generous roughly 4-5" on 1x.

Both Pro/Cons, falls in the middle

1) The illimination turret is a little tight to turn, however, does have audible "clicks"/falls into the probably detent/bearing. It is also visible in daylight from 5-6 (max) setting. Only center 1moa dot and horseshoe is illimunated (so like your MTAC and BTR).

2) The reticle (which is SFP), compared to my Bushnell 1-6.5 BTR2 SFP, is about half the size, however still clean lines (no catapiller legs/"hairy) and all the holdovers are visible.

Cons

1) Only one so far as I havent done any field testing. I personally use a 50/200 yard zero and use standard mils... no BDC as I use different ammo and loads varying rifle, what im using, etc. This scope, much like MTACs and the like, are meant for standard factory 55gr loads and is based off a 100y zero. With that said, I would have to change the way I zero to accomodate the scope BDC and have ammo match it. This is a personal thing, but if the BDC matches my 100y zero and loads, reading the BDC is easy to pick up (as its labled from 100/zero (center dot), 200 (bottom edge of center dot), 300 top of line, 400+ is marked to 800 yards.

Will have to run several local matches and maybe a mjor to see if itll hold up to the rigors of 3Gun, but with a 400 price tag with a mount, could be a good entry level optic, or backup... and its a 1-6.

post-33651-0-82439400-1380835167_thumb.j

Edited by KTKlaus

Mine arrived Friday and I mounted it on my JP 22 rim fire. I run a Swarovski on my competition rifle so the Primary Arms is in stiff company. I shot a couple hundred rim fire through it yesterday and it seems very good. It always makes me feel good when you mount a scope on a good quality gun with good mount (JP) and it sights in with little adjustment. My first impression is very positive and I am going to recommend the Primary Arms scope to a friend. I suspect I will end up owning more than just one.

Mine is supposed to arrive today. I emailed to find out the reticle subtensions and received several replys in less than 8 hours. Here they are:

300 - 2.85 MOA - 0.829 MIL

400 - 5.95 MOA - 1.731 MIL

500 - 9.60 MOA - 2.792 MIL

600 - 14.15 MOA - 4.116 MIL

700 - 19.65 MOA - 5.715 MIL

800 - 26.25 MOA - 7.635 MIL

To be clear, they sent me the MOA figures and I calculated the MIL figures, so any MIL errors are mine. With most of my loads I can use a 200 yard zero and be good to 500 yards which is more than enough for 3 gun.

Doug

My new Primany Arms 1-6 showed up via Priority Mail yesterday afternoon, only a few days after it was ordered. I mounted it in a LaRue SPR-E LT139. This scope has a fairly long eye relief and works well with the LT139 mount. The 1 power setting seems to be pretty close to 1 power but has a fish eye quality that is a little odd when transitioning between targets. The illumination is pretty bright but not as bright as an Aimpoint or EoTech. I like the reticle better than the TAC-30 and the hash marks are very thin but I like them thin. Glass is not as good as the TAC-30, Pride Fowler 1-4 or Swaro 1-6 that I have. I'm taking it to the range tomorow and will see how it works. I plan on shooting it in a match this weekend and will report back.

Doug

Just heading home from the match. Took 2nd in open. Close in 3 gun match with longest shot about 50 yards. Scope works well up close, the little bit of fish eye didn't bother me and I was pleased with the reticle. Illumination is worthless in the daytime but I didn't have any trouble hitting targets because the reticle shows up well against targets.

Sighting in on Friday I noticed the eye box is tight at 6x but I could see my practice steel, which is gray, against a gray black background. Very easy to make hits at 200 yards on a 6" plate.

This is not a $2000 scope for $250, but it is a good back up or practice scope. The 6x does help on the long shots so if you want a 1-6 on a tight budget this is a viable option.

Doug

Guys, I just bought one to try and have a stupid newbie type of optic question. Looking though the Primary arms 1-6 new to a Tac 30 and Meopta K Dot which are both 1-4 scopes it doesn't seem as if it magnifies even as much as my Tac 30 or K-Dot. Basically the targets seem bigger through the 1-4 on 4 power than the Primary arms on 6 power. Is there an adjustment I am missing out on or is it just a weird magnification thing between brands? Thanks in advance.

Make sure you have the ocular adjustment set for your eyes. You have to crank it out quite a ways when you first get the scope. Have run it up against the TAC-30 30 and another 1-4 scope and it definitely a 6 power scope. Here is some video through the scope of the Primary Arms 1-6 and the Burris TAC30. The views are inverted because that is the way I had to video it through my camera.

Doug

PA 1-6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2-ZzHtWHM0&feature=youtu.be

TAC30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FqyhpROqs8&feature=youtu.be