Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA 9mm for competitions

jimbullet

I have been thinking of purchasing a RIA 2011 9mm pistol but have not really had the opportunity to look at it up close nor have had any feedback on its performance.

Any of you own one and can comment on what is your impression, how does it perform, is there any modification you think is essential to get it up and running reliably for competition?

I have been thinking of whether I can buy a brand new RIA 9mm or wait for a used STI in 9mm.

Primary purpose of the pistol would be steel challenge shoots and perhaps some IPSC

I have a Rock Island ( Armscor) 1911 9mm/22 TCM with about 2300 rounds through it, ranging from 115g plated to 147g lead TC reloads. The same reloads jammed an XD and a Walther PPQ, but the Rock ate it like candy.

It isn't pretty but it is accurate (adjustable sights let me dial in for heavier bullets) - the trigger is nice and crisp. Not quite as light as the PPQ, but close. The weight of the 1911 reduces felt recoil - less "snappy" than the XD or PPQ.

Only problem is that I don't think it qualifies for Production division.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

I have yet to see one with a good beaver tail fit. Edges, especially thumb safety have been sharp enough to eat up my thumb. Frames are usually a hair short on the bottom end which results in a gap between frame and magwell if you add a traditional type. The techwell handles that though. Triggers, barrel, slide have all felt good on the ones I've owned and handled. They've all shoot good as well. They are ugly finish wise and kind of crude. If you get a steal on one then go for it and stock up on Emory cloth, a file brush, cold blue, beer!

You can pick up a new Spartan for $600-650, I would get that, personally. The STI is the same frame/slide, however the internals are to STI spec's. It's pretty unanimous that RIA are great for the money, but a Spartan is slightly better because of the internals. I shoot a Spartan V 9mm in SS, no issues at all, great gun.