Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 conversion ?

1911vm

If you're talking about the .22 conversion bolts and not uppers, we've had good luck with our Target Master .22 bolt conversion (which uses BDM mags). I don't recall there being many malfunctions at all. I do know some people at our club had issues with CMMG conversion kits and they seem hit or miss. As far as accuracy is concerned, I'm almost certain you won't be able to match the accuracy you get out of your dedicated upper. I got between 2-2.5" groups at 25 yards with Fed Bulk Pack out of our Target Master kit, which sounds pretty bad but it worked pretty well for Ruger Rimfire at the club level. Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about the supposed leading in the gas tube from using a conversion kit. We've shot over 1200 rounds of .22lr before "clearing it out" with .223 and it was fine.

Edited by californiasushi

I just built a dedicated .22 upper. Got a really good deal on a CMMG package that had their bolt and dedicated 1:16 twist barrel, I think I paid $175 for it. Put it one a DPMS Low-Pro receiver and topped it off with a Nordic HG. I also added the TACCOM firing pin to increase the reliability when using light triggers. I have about $350 total into it and love it now. It did take quite a bit of Dremeling and polishing on the chamber where it meets the collar to get it to run reliably though. After cleaning that up I ran an entire 525 bulk pack through it in one sitting without a single hiccup.

I would say as far as conversions go, Tim aka; TACCOM probably have the best ones out there. He really knows how to make them run and is the one that told me how to fix mine. You can look him up here on the forum in the vendor area or on their web site.

Im interested in this as well. I plan to build a dedicated 22 upper this winter to match my .223 upper. Glad to hear good things about TACCOM, I was looking at their barrels and botls since I already have a spare stripped upper laying around.

OP, what is your dedicated upper now?

I THOUGHt they were useless until I WON a SS CMMG at a match, that thing is NICE.

Also shot some of their complete .22's at a match , that's the way i would go if setting up a .22 , others may be doing the same now but at the time theirs, was one of the few using a AR lower, and cheap, wish now I had bought several.

Why doesn't your upper feel the same?

well it does now . actually it always did. I just did not want to move the aimpoint in between uppers .

I got a vortex spark which is almost identical and used it yesterday .22 plate match worked excellent. now save up to put on same forehand