Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Learn To Run With A Gun

Bart Solo

I just came back from my weekly practice match. As I have said before I am very new at USPSA, but I have a lot of experience at CAS. In CAS you rarely, if ever, move with a loaded gun. Occasionally you will carry an unloaded shotgun from one shooting station to another. You certainly don't run with a loaded gun.

I have pretty much discovered that I can shoot with the other guys in the club, but I have a hard time moving fast with a loaded gun.

I just can't bring myself to move at more than a brisk walk. They are running and gunning. Did anybody else ever have that problem and what did you do about it? Are their any drills?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran around the neighborhood with toy guns playing Army and Lone Ranger as a kid. I kind of grew up with it. For me I suppose, I just added muzzle awareness, trigger finger awareness and 180 awareness. And watch what the good shooters at your club do.

I find myself doing this even when I play nerf guns with the kids now. It sounds like a joke but maybe buy a nerf gun if you are more comfortable with it, and practice movement.

Speed will come with time. It is better to go at your own pace and shoot clean when you are new to the game.

I agree about keeping the gun up high and sights aligned with your eye as much as possible.

I felt the same way when I first started, almost to the point of tip-toeing around. I'm sure it was due to always being told to be VERY careful when handling guns. It is going to sound silly but take your time to develop good pistol handling skills by being and careful making sure you keep your finger out of the trigger and muzzle pointed downrange when moving, these basic skills have to become second nature, then start picking up the speed. In my case dry firing and moving about the house and back yard helped to develop my confidence.

I just came back from my weekly practice match. As I have said before I am very new at USPSA, but I have a lot of experience at CAS. In CAS you rarely, if ever, move with a loaded gun. Occasionally you will carry an unloaded shotgun from one shooting station to another. You certainly don't run with a loaded gun.

I have pretty much discovered that I can shoot with the other guys in the club, but I have a hard time moving fast with a loaded gun.

I just can't bring myself to move at more than a brisk walk. They are running and gunning. Did anybody else ever have that problem and what did you do about it? Are their any drills?

Good for you sir for expanding your horizons.....

My train of though is this:

1. 180 rule... Once you understand what and how. stay within it. (Imagine a specific length of chain on the muzzle of your pistol and attached to back berm...

2. Always Keep finger off of trigger until ready to shoot. ( NRA's interpretation of Colonel Cooper's rule "Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. "

You agree the gun will never go bang if the finger off the trigger? While simultaneously the muzzle is pointed in a "safe" direction based on the 180 degree rule?

Once you agree, your confidence should rise and all you have to do is RUN.

Keep your body upright as possible, with the gun in your strong hand only, high in front of your face so you can easily find the sights when you stop. Finger off the trigger, watch your 180, keep it pointed toward the berm. Run.

You can practice this at home with an empty gun. Keep your finger off the trigger, keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, and get the gun up and ready to shoot as you reach a new shooting position.

You can even do it with the slide removed around the house, if you feel safer to start out that way. If your gun has something tactile on the frame above the trigger guard (takedown lever, depression, etc), it can give you some feedback as to your finger's position when you're off the trigger. Once you ingrain feeling for that spot when you move, you won't need to think about it anymore.

Just be wary if your tactile spot is the end of the slide catch lever on a 1911. I shot a single stack match last month with a borrowed gun, and my natural finger placement had me right on the end of the lever. I evidently exerted enough pressure to nudge it out a bit so that the slide wouldn't go forward into battery. :( I had no idea what was going on until one of my squadmates pointed it out. Not a fun match.

Edited by JAFO

At the end of the day I think you just need to spend more time with your gun. All of the above are good suggestions. The more time you spend; the more comfortable you will get with your equipment and more importantly with your own abilities. I would rather have a guy like you running around at a match than someone with equal experience that is totally unaware of what they are doing.

Good huntin'

M

I think I am just going to focus on my procedures and techniques, and making good shots. I am not going to listen to the guys who tell me I have to accept a certain number of charlies in the name of shooting faster. I suspect that over time I will gain confidence moving quickly between targets, my target to target transitions will improve, my times will drop and my scores will improve.

I watched a short video on target to target transitions. Are their any longer videos or books?

Edited by Bart Solo

It feels odd at first then comes natural with practice and skill. Don't push it though if you feel really unsafe.

It's not really a gun to me anymore, just a extension of my hand. Feels just as natural too.

Edited by Forgetful

You need to relieve yourself of the idea the slow movement is necessary to safety. Muzzle and finger awareness are what you need. Practice maintaining them at speed. You will prove to yourself they are as safe st speed as they are in slow motion. BOOM. problem solved and you can now run-n-gun. :-)

When I started mostly with IDPA, I'd "run" through the house with my unloaded handgun. Pieing around the casements then "exploding" to the next one. After a while I got a good feel for what works for me. Then I started 3 gun.......back to square one almost with running with a long gun.

Run with the gun high and your index finger rested straight alongside the slide of the frame that way there is no doubt to the ro's that your finger is anywhere near the trigger. Keep that muzzle awareness especially when executing speed reloads, look for unintentional and intentional 180 traps during your walkthroughs. Good Luck,

JG