Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on Dillon RL550

I am a little confused about the differences in the different Dillon 550 models. I want to get a progressive press and I was looking at getting a RL550B from Dillon, but wasn't too thrilled by the two month wait. I saw an ad locally for a RL550 for sale, but i am not sure what the differences are.

Here is what his ad states:

RL 550 with conversions for 223 40sw 45 acp and a shell plate for magnum cases.

Questions:

1. What are the differences between the RL550B and RL550

2. Should I consider the 550 or get the 550B

3. What is a reasonable price for what he is offering?

4. I only really need the .223, so if I could get him to sell the RL550 with just the .223 what would be a good price?

I can actually get a great deal on a new RCBS Pro 2000 (family member works for ATK), but I think over the long term I may be wishing I had the Dillon.

Thanks for the help.

Hit the Dillon Precision web site. The 550 is a basic press that does not have a powder measure. The 550B also as the priming system. If you are loading .223 on a progressive you probably want the B plus a few more options like the trays, bins, etc.

IMO get the press you want. The couple hundred you save up front is insignificant 10-20k rounds down the road.

Edited by Dirty Rod

http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum/topic/22528-rl-550-vs-rl-550b/

Hit the Dillon Precision web site. The 550 is a basic press that does not have a powder measure. The 550B also as the priming system. If you are loading .223 on a progressive you probably want the B plus a few more options like the trays, bins, etc. IMO get the press you want. The couple hundred you save up front is insignificant 10-20k rounds down the road.

Nope. You are thinking of the BL 550 basic loader. The OP found an older RL550.

Hit the Dillon Precision web site. The 550 is a basic press that does not have a powder measure. The 550B also as the priming system. If you are loading .223 on a progressive you probably want the B plus a few more options like the trays, bins, etc. IMO get the press you want. The couple hundred you save up front is insignificant 10-20k rounds down the road.

Thanks for that link. Any idea on what a fair price is?

Ahh. I stand corrected. Reading is fundamental. As it happens, mine just happens to be an ancient RL550 that was upgraded long before I bought it.

It could still be a 550B. Many will just call it a 550. As long as it has the powder system and the primer system you are getting a good press. As far as a good price? 75% of new is great. If it had the right parts I would pay 90% if it included shipping.

It could still be a 550B. Many will just call it a 550. As long as it has the powder system and the primer system you are getting a good press. As far as a good price? 75% of new is great. If it had the right parts I would pay 90% if it included shipping.

It is local so I can go check it out as soon as the guy gets back to me.

Eric, the "fair price" for a Dillon is pretty close to retail, because

of Dillon's incredible policy on fixing any Dillon (not the 1050)

for FREE.

So, if you buy a $550 Dillon 2nd hand for $475, and anything

goes wrong with it, Dillon will fix it - so you saved $75 by buying

it 2nd hand.

:cheers: