Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Better powder measure for Varget

I think I need a different powder measure for Varget. The stock Dillon measure doesn't work well with Varget at all, tho it does work well with a host of other powders.

I am considering the Hornady measure with the auto drop adapter. Has anyone done this mod with a 550? How does it work and what parts are needed to make it work.

Thanks

-john

I've got the Hornady measure on my second press and it doesn't work any better than the measure on my 550. Stick powders are just not going to meter as well as ball powders. Some folks have polished the inside of the base and gotten better results but I don't think you will get the +/- .1 accuracy out of the Hornady measure either.

Time for a Chargemaster or a Prometheus sounds like.

An expensive but very reliable alternative for stick powders: http://www.quick-measure.com/progadapter.htm

I use one on my 650 with H4350 which has to be the worst powder I have ever used for metering and I get very accurate throws from this. It sure makes loading rifle rounds a lot faster than hand weighing each load!

Ron

Thanks. I hadn't considered this as an option. Very interesting.

Is it difficult to adjust for different powder charges, ie from .223 to .308?

I use the RCBS measure with mic adjuster and case activated linkage for Varget (and all other pistol/rifle powders). Works great, I get throws with Varget +-.2 gns. Have one for rifle on a 1050 and one for pistol on a 650.

jj

Rigger

Thanks. I might try the RCBS linkage with my old reliable Redding #3 measure from my single stage loading set up. Shouldn't cost much to try it out.

What pieces do I need to set it up?

An expensive but very reliable alternative for stick powders: http://www.quick-measure.com/progadapter.htm

I use one on my 650 with H4350 which has to be the worst powder I have ever used for metering and I get very accurate throws from this. It sure makes loading rifle rounds a lot faster than hand weighing each load!

Ron

Thanks. I hadn't considered this as an option. Very interesting.

Is it difficult to adjust for different powder charges, ie from .223 to .308?

It's really easy to adjust since you just slide an adapter onto the end of the main tube. There are different adapters for different calibers and charge weights. It does go a bit slower than using the Dillon measure but it throws as accurately with stick powders as the Dillon does with ball powders. I really like H4350 for my .30-06 and the Dillon measure just doesn't work well with it. I have picked up some Superformance powder and it meters better through the Dillon measure and seems ok. About 100fps slower with a slightly larger charge than the 4350. I also recently got some CFE223 tot ry but have not had a chance to use it. It's supposed to meter well through the Dillon as well.

Thanks Jeremy! An inexpensive option for sure.

It's starting to look like powder measures are like holsters....none are perfect for everything and you are going to accumulate a box of them:)

Edited by practical_man