Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Son beat me at a match

MarkCO

Shot the CO State Ruger Rimfire on Saturday and my 11 year old placed ahead of me.

He has not shot live fire since July, but with his airsoft, he has been working on the first shot and transitions with the pistol. He had looked at the stages and had his goal of a sub 2 second pistol run. He got two runs under 2 seconds (1.92 and 1.93 for 5 plates), so I owe him $10 to boot. That was using a stock Ruger MkII heavy barrel 5", so not exactly a race gun either. For the record, I have never been able to break 2 seconds for 5 plates and had a best of 2.23 on that stage.

The 9 year old wanted to break 3 seconds, and he did that too.

Good for him! You must be proud.

My oldest son beat me in a uspsa match. I was very proud, he is a natural at shooting. But he is also 21, so that took some of the sting out of it. ;)

We teach them well and can only hope they surpass us at everything in life.

It might be fun now but wait till his ammo consumption really kicks in................and he starts kicking the crap out of your scores on a regular basis. Always remind him where his ammo $$ is coming from and that he has to publicly embrace you at each match as a way of saying "Thank You"....and get a picture of it every time for reminding him later when he is a teenager and doesn't find you cool anymore...but still wants your support of his shooting habit.

Now up your game a bit and enjoy the ride as you two have something to work on together. (while the rest of us look on, jealous that we started too late to do this with our Dad's).

Best Wishes for you two.........

Roy

Team SV Infinity

Smith Optics Elite Shooting Team

Good advice Roy!

I pay his entries...I get the loot. So he is paying for his entries now and has actually won more components and ammo than he has shot so far.

I taught my Dad, at 73 how to build his first AR this past spring, so we are getting him to matches too. :surprise:

• 1 year later...

10690270_1486119258338964_21347650335680

Here he is, 12 now, shooting the VersaMax at the local 5 stage shotgun match on Saturday. Hit his select slug loads, the aerials...clean match with no penalties. But yes, the shotgun is almost as tall as he is. :)

My son beat me out for high D production at area 6 this year. That was one of the few times I didn't mind coming in second place. We shoot steel challenge together this weekend and I plan to get my revenge :). Enjoy the time with your boys it flies by.

Good job !

At 11 wow ! that is good, my son started beating me in racing about 18, then I moved from Expert/Pro to +45 class :roflol:

At 3 gun we started out fairly even, he's way faster than me now, occasionally I still win a stage or 2, but over-all he smokes me.

Wouldn't want it any other way :cheers: