Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running The stage during the walk through

a matt

Once I have my stage plan during the walk through (know where all the targets are, my positions/marks, reload positions, etc.) I will walk the conga line a few times until I will walk through a few times to ensure that I am hitting all the positions and that I have no hesitations about which target locations and target order. I identify trouble positions where I seem to be having difficulty stopping in the right spot or with target order. I will repeat small sections as needed and will may do short bursts of speed testing ability to get into and out if particular positions if other shooters are clear. Overall you are looking for smoothness and efficiency while moving through the stage.

When on deck I will try a couple of runs through the course at as much of full speed as I can do to ensure my plan is programmed and that I am hitting all of my positions and that there is no hesitation with finding the right targets. I think going full speed is important because it will likely be much more difficult to hit a tight position if you are only looking at it while going at a casual pace. Again, I repeat smaller sections of possible but like to run the whole thing start to finish executing perfectly if possible. The fast pace gets the adrenaline going more as well and helps me to know where my focus should be.

The only real drawback of this approach is that sometimes I am already out of breath and the mouth breathing comes over loud, clear, and obnoxious through the first person camera.

For example:

I agree with all you said here. I have a tendency to burn too much energy while on deck if I had not had enough time earlier to learn the stage. I have to catch myself, and make sure I do not use up too much oxygen or energy right before I shoot. And I am old on top of all that! Got to keep our powder dry for the real performance!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You could "run" it during on deck, as on deck shooter has the right of way, but during the squad walk through you would never get time and a clear path to run the whole thing. People can't even get straight that you should exit out the back of the stage instead of turning around at the end of their walk through.