Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm Major load ?

jcc7x7

Any body worked up a nice 10mm major load at about 170-172 PF for the 10mm. I've got lots of full power loads but want to use this gun more than for hunting and full power fun shooting. Would like to use in SS this winter, Shooting 180 lead or jacketed bullets, i've got both

Thanks for any input

jcc7x7

I've thought about the 40 plus a little option but wanting to see if anybody has done more than I have so far. Thanks for the input.

I've got a 180 Pf load on the first attempt with 5.3grs of titegroup and 180 hornady HAP. still looking for some more options

When I was working up full power loads (right up to max) with Silhouette and HS6 my SD and ES began to get smaller the closer I got to max. I think the 10mm likes to be loaded HOT. With about 8.2 grains of Silhouette I worked up a decent feeling load which ran around 1080 fps/194 pf out of my Gen 4 G20. My starting loads had ES of 80+ fps and huge SD. Havent tried my usual .40 powders, N320 and Solo with the 10mm yet.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I would think that you would want the heaviest bullet possible with a medium-fast powder to viably get to about 170PF with a 10mm and still give decent ES and SD figures so you know you will chrono well at a match. The uber-fast powders would be low on my list though as that big case might not like them with a heavy bullet.

No matter what else, you still have to "run the gun" so you're probably looking at a spring change anyway from the "normal" recoil spring but still heavy enough to feed nicely and return the gun to "zero" for follow up shots.

Edited by Justsomeguy

jcc7x7- It makes sense to strive for low ES and SD numbers, but I worry more about the size of the groups on paper. Maybe its just me, but they don't always seem to go together. I've used Clays ("an uber-fast powder"- in my opinion) with this combination and it was really sweet shooting (and clean) with 180 grain bullets, but that particular lot of Federal primers were starting to flatten at 170pf and I didn't feel comfortable. I know that better and smarter shooters use Clays with this combo without any problems, but I decided not to and switched to WST.

You can run Clays for minor pf, WST for major pf and Longshot for maximum pf, with just recoil spring changes as noted above. Wolff gunsprings sells an assortment. If you shoot many maximum loads, then the Sprinco recoil reducer is the way to go (Nealio clued me in on this one).

I like the Thompson Contender with a scope in .44 Rem mag for hunting. Good luck and have fun.

Guys thanks for the input.

For the record, been doing this (reloading) for 40 years but always ran thing at the top end of stuff ie 10mm at 1200fps etc.

the BUT was I wanted to use the gun more than for just hunting and heavy target use.

I came up with some loads with Sr4756, WSF and old school unique.

THEN

did the easy thing bought a 40 S&W nowlin barrel and fitted it and now have another two barrel gun

So the problem has solved itself.

After a couple of local uspsa matches my "brass munger" really rose up and I couldn't bare to loose any 10mm brass so I had to get the 40 bbl.

LOL

Thanks again for the input guys

jcc7x7

For several reasons the barrel change was probably the best solution. You don't have to lose too many 10mm brass to see the economy of changing to a 40S&W barrel and the .40 brass is readily available from a lot of sources. Shooting the .40 in the heavier gun will be a lot more pleasant than even mid-range 10mm and load information for 170pf loads with the .40 is common with many powders.