Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not tanking the stage

kneelingatlas

On Saturday I experimented with some 100gr Open loads; they were short (1.077"), but they worked perfectly in my Friday night function testing...

First stage went off without a hitch, after the first shot in the second stage: jam, quick rack of the slide, double feed; one of those where you yank the slide and... nothing. I had to pull the mag, clear the round, reseat the mag and rack the slide. Where normally I would blaze away trying to 'make up' time, deltas and mikes galore.

Instead a calm washed over and I shot the stage like nothing ever happened; all alphas! Ended up with a hit factor ~3, but it was my proudest stage of the day.

I had the exact opposite happen to me today - 2 failure to feeds into my gun and I completely lost my stage plan, by the end I just gave up. Kudos to you!

On a slight tangent... Was this in your custom-czechmate-like-open-gun? Did the 100gr open loads work well (other than this stage)?

My CZ Open gun started life as a Tactical Sport .40. I used an SP01 9mm slide with a 9mm TS barrel I threaded M14X0.75 to match the factory small frame Tanfoglio comps Numrich sells. The one I'm using is a three port they advertised as 9mm, but is actually .40 (they changed the description for me and almost got it right...), but I have a plan to make it better :)

The loads shot great except for the misfeeds. I only had a stage or two without any. I'm going to switch to 115s so I can load them longer and that should fix it.