Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Pro Comp .40

AznDragon533

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked it up yesterday from Sooner State Pawn in OKC. His distributor had 10 on hand last Friday. Spent last night disabling grip safety and working on trigger. Trigger needs ALOT of work. I think I got it from 40# to 15# :wacko: Installed a Dawson Ice magwell. Had to drill out one of the grip screws. Taking it to have a holster made today. Dawson mag bases do not fit their tubes. Next match is going to be interesting.

post-37644-0-53232700-1385552558_thumb.j post-37644-0-22977100-1385552578_thumb.j

Picked it up yesterday from Sooner State Pawn in OKC. His distributor had 10 on hand last Friday. Spent last night disabling grip safety and working on trigger. Trigger needs ALOT of work. I think I got it from 40# to 15# :wacko: Installed a Dawson Ice magwell. Had to drill out one of the grip screws. Taking it to have a holster made today. Dawson mag bases do not fit their tubes. Next match is going to be interesting.

attachicon.gif20131127_052749.jpg attachicon.gif20131127_053130.jpg

Anyone has grouping pictures out to 25 yards/50 yards?

attachicon.gif20131127_052749.jpg attachicon.gif20131127_053130.jpg

Very nice. What are these things going for?

Why did the extractor need tuning? What kind of tuning? Thanks........

Same question. Aren't Para already fixed their extractor problem with EGW parts? And isn't the Para Comp .40 supposed to be an out of the box competition gun?

Why did the extractor need tuning? What kind of tuning? Thanks........

Same question. Aren't Para already fixed their extractor problem with EGW parts? And isn't the Para Comp .40 supposed to be an out of the box competition gun?

He radiused the bottom edge just a bit to take off the sharp angle on the bottom of the extractor groove.

FYI, mags that come with are Checkmate. Dawson does not make an extended mag base for use with a magwell. Haven't found any Checkmate 40 basepads yet.

Picking mine up tomorrow afternoon, this will be my first 1911 style pistol and I'm really looking forward to it. One of the owners of my local indoor range had let me shoot his Para Black Ops and I was really impressed with it. Being a .40 cal guy once I found out they made the Pro Comp 40 I was dead set on getting one. I definitely agree about the "bang for the buck" the Para offers, I've been looking at 1911 style pistols for a couple of years now and even someone as uneducated as I am in the 1911 world knows this is a good deal. Looking forward to reading posts on modifications and shooting impressions.

Regards,

Paul

Caution, this report is from an absolute rookie to 1911 style pistols! Although I've shot several different types of 1911's over the years (mostly friends and a couple of rentals) my main experience is with the Glocks I've owned (G22, G30, & G35) so I reference my Glocks throughout the report...it's the only thing I have to compare it too, so if your not a Glock guy that's ok by me, just bear in mind that's my baseline for the report.

Range report: Finally got a chance to get out to the range today and run some rounds through the Para. First impressions were good, kick is light similar to my G35, got back on target quickly although I'm not sure I like the stock sites. Both my Glocks have TFO's so the flat blade rear and small front site on the Para will take some getting use to. Cycled well and had no FTF although the slide failed to lock open twice during my session when the last shot was fired. As usual I started out shooting low and left, but once I had a clip or two through it I corrected for my self imposed error and found the accuracy to be good especially out past 15 yards and beyond. The single stack is narrow so for my medium sized hands it was easy to handle, I like the G10 grips and thumb relief. I like having a safety I can just flip on or off with my thumb, but don't like the longer distance to the slide release. I've got extended slide releases and oversized mag releases on my Glocks so I'm use to having all my controls within thumbs reach. Trigger was good, although I would prefer it to be a little lighter, again the only thing I have to compare it to is my Glocks, both of which have after market adjustable triggers (Zev & Pyramid). Pistol seemed tight and rattle free, I had shot a couple of friends 1911's recently and both seemed "loose" and had some rattle to them although that may be attributed to the age and number of rounds run through them. Overall really enjoyed shooting it, I would like to install a magwell, this helps me keep my grip up high and will definitely help with mag changes. I think the smaller front site attributed to my accuracy at longer distances, but still might look at changing them. Looking forward to getting out again although it probably won't be until after the first of the year. Anyone with tips on trigger adjustments please drop me a line, also which magwells fit this particular model.

Regards,

Paul

You could lower the trigger pull by adjusting the sear spring but if you're not familiar with the 1911 platform then I would suggest not doing it yourself. As for mag wells, there is lots to choose from DP Ice,Tech-well, and S&A just to name a few.

Ran the new Para at a match last night. Pleased with results and potential. 8 rounds vs 20 makes for an entirely different ballgame.

Below is a link to the Dawson Ice Magwell I installed.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80001579-1340640491

What mags and basepads are you using? I ordered that same magwell and am still undecided on the mags.

Edited by Naka16

You could lower the trigger pull by adjusting the sear spring but if you're not familiar with the 1911 platform then I would suggest not doing it yourself. As for mag wells, there is lots to choose from DP Ice,Tech-well, and S&A just to name a few.

Getting rid of the series 80 safety parts helps tremendously as far as trigger feel quality. My TJ Para single stack went from over 3 lbs to 2.5 with a much crisper feel just from the series 80 parts removal. Of course if you drop it and shoot yourself, that's a bad thing.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll look into the sear work, my local gunsmith is pretty versed in 1911's if I feel I can't handle it myself. Half the fun of buying this one was learning all about a new pistol. Marv Z I'd hope not to drop it, but murphys law would probably jump up and bite me if I try the 80's parts removal... :goof: Naka 16 thanks for the link...

Regards,

Paul

Can someone do a side to side comparison to the STI Trojan .40?

2ib2sk2.jpg

I have both. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Typically these guns will not be used out of the box for competition. They both need a mag well, trigger job, extended mag release, etc.

Both bring a lot of gun for the money to the table. Something that a few years back you could only have gotten with a full custom gun.

• 1 month later...

So i am considering this over a Trojan but my first experience with para this past September was terrible. I had a brand new elite fall apart after 4rounds and had to send it back. Customer service was fantastic but for it to literally have parts crack and fall on the ground was frustrating. As soon as I got it back from para I sold it.

My question. Is anyone actually shooting this in single stack matches now? If so how do you like it?

D, I haven't shot this in a match so unfortunately I can't contribute anything there, but I have run several hundred rounds down range already through my Pro Comp and must say I'm very impressed with it. I shot a double stack several years ago and didn't have a very good experience with that pistol (more my fault then the guns) so it took some doing to convince me that the Pro Comp would be worth my hard earned dollars. After shooting a Black Ops version one of the range owners tossed to me I was sold. This is my first 1911 as I've mentioned before, and I couldn't be happier!

Regards,

Paul

D, I haven't shot this in a match so unfortunately I can't contribute anything there, but I have run several hundred rounds down range already through my Pro Comp and must say I'm very impressed with it. I shot a double stack several years ago and didn't have a very good experience with that pistol (more my fault then the guns) so it took some doing to convince me that the Pro Comp would be worth my hard earned dollars. After shooting a Black Ops version one of the range owners tossed to me I was sold. This is my first 1911 as I've mentioned before, and I couldn't be happier!

Regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul .

I shoot an STI Edge now in limited and three gun but I really enjoy the frustration of the single stack division. Lol