Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Glasses Faq

kimel

The lenses in my Hunters got a kind of orange peel looking texture. I contacted Hunters and was told that they have seen that and think it is caused by heat. There is no warranty, but they would be glad to sell me a new pair. 
The hunters were never subjected to anymore heat than everything else in my range bag, including my old Oakleys. Oakleys for me from here on out. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thank you for posting about the heat issue you experienced although, I don’t know what I can do to prevent that my glasses from getting hot. I have worn glasses of all types in all conditions all my life and have never faced a heat issue. If Hunters Gold know of this issue they should state it as a potential problem. I would have thought Brian would have offered a full replacement; in the grand scheme of things can’t be a money issue.

• 3 months later...

School me on prescription glasses.  I got a prescription for the first time last year for slight nearsightedness.  Got single vision glasses that helped with distance, but had to take them off for up close.  Got my prescription updated THIS year and ordered my first ever pairs of progressives, using Visionworks Digital Progressive, which should help reduce head tilt (I'll find out next week).  Also have an astigmatism that the older pair REALLY helped with.

Looking at HD Ruby, but not sure what type of lens to go with.  Clearing up the astigmatism will help most, clearing up slight blur at a distance second, but not at the expense of making things blurry up close.

Folks with similar eyes have any advice on what kind of lenses to consider?  Single focus? Bifocal?  Progressive?  What's worked for you in shooting?

Shooting a dot, I get my prescription set for distance only and up close can be a bit blurry for all I care.

I bring a dot in to the optometrist so I can check when they're doing the "is this better than that" thing because a small change that's not obvious looking at the letters makes a big difference in a dot.

For iron sights they had me bring the pistol in too (cool Opto, now semi retired :( ) and I did a number of draws while they measured the distance to the front sight.  That made for an excellent image of the front sight, but everything past 10 yards was blurry, so we kicked the focus out a few clicks-- I couldn't see dust specks on the front sight anymore, but downrange was much better.  I had only the dominant eye lens done with this and left the other eye prescription same as red dot-- distance.  Takes some getting used to but worked well.

19 minutes ago, shred said:

Shooting a dot, I get my prescription set for distance only and up close can be a bit blurry for all I care.

I bring a dot in to the optometrist so I can check when they're doing the "is this better than that" thing because a small change that's not obvious looking at the letters makes a big difference in a dot.

For iron sights they had me bring the pistol in too (cool Opto, now semi retired :( ) and I did a number of draws while they measured the distance to the front sight.  That made for an excellent image of the front sight, but everything past 10 yards was blurry, so we kicked the focus out a few clicks-- I couldn't see dust specks on the front sight anymore, but downrange was much better.  I had only the dominant eye lens done with this and left the other eye prescription same as red dot-- distance.  Takes some getting used to but worked well.

Interesting advice.  I had a good chat with Chris at HG today - will see how well I take to everyday progressives next week then mar

a decision.  I don’t want to have to worry about head tilt when shooting.

• 1 month later...

Never replied to this.  Got my prescription updated, ordered both a Gold and Ruby pair.  Got them and got to try them - night and day difference, very comfortable and no issues with fogging (even wore them at an all day range event).

Used my FSA to pay for them.  VERY pleased.  Looking at a non-safety pair of AktivBlu for regular use (driving, fishing, etc.).

On 4/13/2023 at 2:41 PM, Effectus Magis Per Minor said:

The lenses in my Hunters got a kind of orange peel looking texture. I contacted Hunters and was told that they have seen that and think it is caused by heat. There is no warranty, but they would be glad to sell me a new pair. 
The hunters were never subjected to anymore heat than everything else in my range bag, including my old Oakleys. Oakleys for me from here on out. 

Did you leave these in a solar oven in death valley by chance? I leave mine in my truck so I don't forget them. It was 100-110 for 2 months straight here and I've had mine since ...2020? 

Maybe something changed in the manufacture, maybe something was left out of the details. Just providing my own experience. 

31 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

It was 100-110 for 2 months straight here and I've had mine since ...2020? 

Yep, reminded me of my first summer living and working for Amoco in Houston - 1980. It was only under 100 degrees one day all summer and warmer yet for my Amoco coworkers in Tulsa! Memorable because my truck did not (yet) have A/C. I still have relatives in Texas, so I was watching the temps down there with some interest. That kind of heat can do wonders for all things manufactured!!!

1 hour ago, Whitefish said:

Yep, reminded me of my first summer living and working for Amoco in Houston - 1980. It was only under 100 degrees one day all summer and warmer yet for my Amoco coworkers in Tulsa! Memorable because my truck did not (yet) have A/C. I still have relatives in Texas, so I was watching the temps down there with some interest. That kind of heat can do wonders for all things manufactured!!!

Thankfully when I was at an asphalt plant in Dallas in the summer I at least had A/C. 

4 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Did you leave these in a solar oven in death valley by chance? I leave mine in my truck so I don't forget them. It was 100-110 for 2 months straight here and I've had mine since ...2020? 

Maybe something changed in the manufacture, maybe something was left out of the details. Just providing my own experience. 

From Chris at Hunters Gold, "That is usually caused by them getting near heat or being in a vehicle got hot. Unfortunately there is no way to get that off we will have to make a new pair."

FYI