Shooting Glasses Faq

kimel

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe not the place to comment but MidwayUSA has some pretty good deals on the Oakley Tombstone Reap w/tr22 or black iridium lenses for just over 50$. They are advertising as a one time clearance deal. Figured other BE members might want to take advantage

I was going to get Rudy Projects ad that's what i used for cycling, but that deal at midway was too good for me to pass up. 

I like eyeshield styles personally for any sport. More real estate for field of view.

Edited by KrymSIX

On 3/10/2017 at 5:33 PM, KrymSIX said:

Maybe not the place to comment but MidwayUSA has some pretty good deals on the Oakley Tombstone Reap w/tr22 or black iridium lenses for just over 50$. They are advertising as a one time clearance deal. Figured other BE members might want to take advantage

I was going to get Rudy Projects ad that's what i used for cycling, but that deal at midway was too good for me to pass up. 

I like eyeshield styles personally for any sport. More real estate for field of view.

Thanks for the tip, just ordered myself a pair. They have both Black Iridium and TR22 in stock. I ordered the TR22, figured I'll give them a try.

4 minutes ago, valerko said:

Crap, I've been using $20 safety glasses from Home Depot , ones that have Mike Holmes stamp of approval , is that what I was doing wrong all these years ? :)

Have you ever shot using Rudy Project or even Oaklies? Rudy Project are easily 10 times clearer than any cheap pair I used to wear.

Just now, Sarge said:

Have you ever shot using Rudy Project or even Oaklies? Rudy Project are easily 10 times clearer than any cheap pair I used to wear.

I might be blind , but borrowed friends Oaklies and didn't see any difference . But I do keep them in case an once there's scratch on them they serve as reloading glasses and I get new ones

• 2 weeks later...

The clarity on Rudy Project and Oakley is definitely superior to the cheap shooting glasses. The level of protection is likely the same, but the clarity of the higher end glasses can be really crucial in target acquisition as well as maintaining good visuals while dealing with the Sun out. At an indoor range the differences will likely be less noticeable. But outdoors the difference in contrast and clarity is huge imo. Better glasses also help with less eye fatigue. 

On 3/15/2017 at 8:45 PM, valerko said:

I might be blind , but borrowed friends Oaklies and didn't see any difference . But I do keep them in case an once there's scratch on them they serve as reloading glasses and I get new ones

Yep, you are blind .

5 hours ago, Sarge said:
Yep, you are blind .

You probably right.
Although I did some research on YouTube and honestly I wouldn't be able to see  the difference without watching this
Video. Now I'm interested. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Edited by valerko

Valerko, to me the biggest differences are definitely in the ability to perceive contrast as shown in that series of youtube vids. 

I think once you use a set of high quality glasses outdoor on a bright day where you need some tint to protect from the sun but still need the contrast to see your dot or fiber and need to make out which silhouette is the "non target" in a group of 3 the contrast and added clarity will really pay off.

• 4 weeks later...

Rudy works great with prescription.  I have a high adjustment level but no problems and better fit than my old ESS.  The one thing I noticed is they do scratch easy when putting the corrective lenses in.

14 hours ago, af220wa said:

Rudy works great with prescription.  I have a high adjustment level but no problems and better fit than my old ESS.  The one thing I noticed is they do scratch easy when putting the corrective lenses in.

With Rudy you do need to be careful because the metal frame the prescription lenses sit in will scratch the polymer sunglass lenses if you're not super careful. I think it has to do with how close the prescription lenses sit relative to the sunglass lense. 

I think Rudy has the best prescription insert available though. 

22 minutes ago, af220wa said:

I agree and have just learned how to put the inserts in without scratching the lens coating.

Have my first pair of Rudy’s and am about to get the prescription put in the inserts… can you share or point me to something on how to insert them without scratching?

It's all about technique and just watching to make sure there is no contact with the lens when you insert them.  You may still get rubbing once they are in but it is typically in an area you can't see when you are wearing them.  I've also tried using a lens cloth to shield them and that works pretty well but sometimes I don't have one available so I am just more conscious of what I'm doing. 

• 1 month later...

Due to age related vision issues I "upgraded" from standard protective eyewear to Prescription Oakley HDO lenses this year. Wow - what a difference. Now, with me part of the difference was being able to focus on the front sight which the prescription corrects for, but I also noticed that when using "reader" type safety lenses from Everex, the long distance vision was much more blurry. With the Oakley's - everything from front sight to distance is clear depending on my focal point. The nice part for me was I went to lens crafters and got the eye test, prescription and then they send the whole thing to Oakley for production of the frames and lenses together - so everything is "Oakley".  Worth looking at if you've had good vision and now age is starting to Harden your lenses making close focus harder. 

BW

• 4 weeks later...

Rudy Rydons for me. they work for me because they have adjustable(replaceable) bridge. Tons of lens choices (there is now an aftermarket), Full lens magnifiers and Rx inserts.

Edited by bossgvr4

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for a good pair of shooting glasses that fit my Asian face. I currently have a pair of Asian Fit Oakley Scalpels that I like, but it's no longer made so I can't get any replacement lenses for it. Looking at the Rudy Project Rydons. Can anybody tell me how they fit or can recommend a pair that might suit my needs?