Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which powder should I try to find for loading precision 308 while usin

JC49ae

...while using a Dillon Powder measure?

I've read here that Varget is a great powder, but doesn't measure well out of the Dillon powder measure. Not to mention most, if not everyone is sold out of this powder as well as others.

What's the best powder that'll still flow well through a Dillon?

Edited by JC49ae

I've had excellent luck with Ramshot TAC: almost always within 0.1 grain per throw in my 5.56 and .223 loads in a Super 1050.

It's very tough to find as well, but TAC should perform well almost anywhere you'd use Varget. I contacted the company about temperature sensitivity, and was informed that although TAC was one of the best in the ball powder world, it wouldn't be as temperature insensitive as a superior extruded powder, like Varget.

Also, if you pause in the loading process for any length of time, I'd re-throw the first charge after resuming. That first charge will be as much as a full grain heavier once the powder in the hopper has had long enough to settle!

I've had great luck with IMR4895, yeah it's an older powder, but it shoots great out I my Rem 700. A buddy uses H4895 and works well too. Another friend uses N150 for their Palma loads.

Also, I had a machinist clean up and polish the Dillon powder drop for more reliable charges. Works great and very consistent. My .308 loads will shoot 1/2" or better and all are loaded on a 650.

Edited by mpthole

• 3 weeks later...

Remove the Dillon powder measure and install a rcbs with case activated linkage. I get throws with varget plus/minus 2 tenths of a grain. It is silly to not use the best powder for the load just because the powder measure works poorly with stick powders.

JMHO

jj

Accurate 4064 is an option. It is an extruded powder, but very short cut. It meters well through my RCBS Uniflow, much better than IMR 4064 or Varget, and with no grain cutting. It is slower than 4064 and would be a good choice for 168-175 gr range bullets...

H335 and H322 are good options but are really too fast for anything >150 gr.

For a ball powder I would definitely give CFE223 a shot. I haven't been able to get any of it but would love to try it out in my 308...

H4895 is stick, but the sticks are half the size of Varget. H4895 will be a little faster than varget, but it meters better, has the same temp stability and shoots the same accuracy levels out of my rifles. It works well from 110gr thru 168gr.