Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a specific SS 16 inch match barrel.

lucas

This may be an odd duck but to me it would be the best set up next to a 18 or 20 inch gun.

16 inch

SS match grade barrel fluted

1/7 to 1/8 twist

Full length gas

It is the full gas that seems to not exist , except for the bushmaster dissipator barrel I don't want.

Right, my understanding is that a 17" barrel is the shortest most on this forum would use with rifle length gas. At least in 223. In 308, Criterion makes a thin 16" barrel in rifle length gas. But a 308 has lots more gas to work with, from what I know.

In 16" 223, the Nordic 223 Wylde barrel is very accurate and also happens to be relatively lightweight. It's what I have in my shorter upper. Had it made for me by Carbon Arms. It's a sweet barrel, but mid-length gas. Should be tamed with an adjustable gas block if you want to try that route. I'm not sure when Nordic will ever have that barrel back in stock.

This may be an odd duck but to me it would be the best set up next to a 18 or 20 inch gun.

16 inch

1/7 to 1/8 twist

Full length gas

It is the full gas that seems to not exist , except for the bushmaster dissipator barrel I don't want.

Salient Arms International is making a rifle with a 16" barrel and a rifle length gas system on it. I don't think they are selling just the barrels though.

Black hole weaponry will build pretty much any configuration of barrel weight, material, gas system you want. They built me a 18" 300 BLK barrel with mid length gas. They advised against it and they were right. It won't work with subsonics, but I can get a few more FPS out of it for making major in 3 gun.

Go with a mid length gas if you're stuck on a 16". The why's have all been answered on here before if you just search a little. There's always a reason something is done a certain way and with the gas system it's about dwell time.

16 inch

1/7 to 1/8 twist

Full length gas

call steve at adco if there is 1 to be had he can do it. dont know what he has in 'match bbls" as none of of use them but he has built me a ton of bbl configuration's over the years and not 1 has ever failed. u cant do better. i am not a techie but a shooter so i am a little lite in the genre but i know his work

jjw

p.s. adco is in sylvanie ohio

Edited by jjw

I think your barrel spec is a really bad idea but if it's what you want you can buy an 18" rifle gas barrel from Wilon Combat http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Match-Grade-Barrel-556-NATO-Special-Purpose-Rifle-18-1-7-Twist-Stainless/productinfo/TR-556SPR18/ and then send it to ADCO and have them cut it to 16" and flute it for you.

The problem I see is you want a barrel that will be at best borderline reliable, in a sport that really punishes unreliable equipment. The barrel you want will gain you nothing over a 16" mid length with an adjustable gas block. Just out of curiosity, is there some advantage in performance you believe you will gain with this configuration, or is it just an attempt to be different for the sake of being different?

Edit to add... When you say full length gas system, do you mean a rifle length system, or the 11" system that Knights Armament has developed for some of their guns?

Edited by T Bacus

Personally I beleive a dissapator style barrel (16", rifle gas system) would have some issues with timing/gas bleed-off. To caveat on the bushmaster dissapator barrels are mid or carbine length gas system under a rifle handguard with a secondary FSB. Also they are roughly obsolete now (since the inception due to more modern free float rails. For timing you want to measure from the end of the *muzzle* for optimum gas burn, cycling/timing and compensator/brake use. That is why I beleive most companies (like BCM, DPMS) that use to sell them stoped producing/dissontinued them except for some (Del-Ton, Model1Sales, etc.).

If you cant find them, I have seen a few (I work as an RSO and Instructor at a range) that what they have done is take a standard 20" barrel and had the barrel cut dwon and rethreaded down to 16".

Edited by KTKlaus