Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prescription shooting glasses

OK, I just turned 50 and the front sight on my pistol is not as clear as it used to be. I have been using reading glasses for about 6 months. I want to get a couple pair of shooting glasses, one clear, one sunglasses. I would like to get the wraparound type. Any ideas?

Thanks,

This subject has been discussed many times over in the Gear and Accessories forum. You might also try a search for "shooting glasses".

Short story: You need glasses that take a prescription insert. This pretty much whittles it down to Oakley and Rudy (I think Wiley X also makes one but haven't seen it up close and personal).

Welcome to the "shoots with prescription glasses club". :D Been there my entire life.

I've seen a surge of "sports glasses" with options for RX inserts lately. Brands range from Nike, addidas and some others.

Personally, I'm using the Rudy Project Kerosene and Rydon models. Depending on my mood I wear either one in any of the lense colors I have. Plus I get to use only one insert (the Rydons) for both.

From the chip marks I've seen on the most used lenses, I think they're doing a pretty good job. And I get to have lifetime warranty on the lenses and have them replaced anytime. ;)

I gotta agree with Aikidale on this one. I tried a number of different prescription shooting glasses and ended up taking the plunge and getting contacts (something I really didnt want to do) and they are far and away better than any RX shooting glasses I tried. One thing I disliked about all the glasses I tried was that when in a contorted position (crouching to shoot through a low port, or prone) I ended up looking through the top rim of the glasses, and not the prescipted center. A friend suggested I have the optomitrist raise the "optical center" 2 or 3 mm. It works great for prone, but gives a significant acid trip feeling when wearing them walking around all day. just my .02

I had tried contacts a few years ago and did not like them. Not for the overall vision, which was fine, but I felt that the concussion of the gun firing distorted my vision for a split second and slowed my follow up shot. I've stayed with 'script glasses.

With my overall vision getting slightly worse and requiring stronger 'scripts for shooting I had the doctor make up a pair of glasses with a 'script with a focal point that allows clear vision on the sights, with just a slight blurring at far distance. I also had them made from the latest transitions lenses that auto adjust to light.

I've worn glasses all my life. (I can't remember a time when I didn't have glasses on.) During my brief foray inot contacts, I discovered a simple thing: even when I had contacts, I still had to wear protective lenses. so why was I wearing contacts AND glasses, when I could just wear glasses?

The decision was made easier by my astigmatism: the contacts I had were early gas-permeable, and a royal hassle to maintain. Eventually the cleaning, disinfecting, storage, and keeping track of all the solutions, etc was just too much. When my prescription changed a bit, I just went back to glasses.

I have also struggled with this for the past several months. I wear glasses on a daily basis. I tried using contacts, but I just could not get used to them. I usually would wind up taking them out half-way through a match, if not I would develop a headache or just be uncomfortable.

I recently purchased a pair of Rudy Project Rydons with the RX insert from Jim Shanahan. I do not think I have been able to see this good while shooting since starting this sport several months ago. They are comfortable and light. I can make out the rim of the insert, but it does appear to disappear after a short while.

I know that contacts work for some people, but for me they were not worth the hassle. It is a pleasure shootin with the Rydons.

I wear glasses every day. And I agree with Patrick. I couldn't get used to lenses. Now I wear regular RX safety glasses. Way better than the cool looking RX insert glasses. If you want to look cool, get RX inserts or lenses. If you want to shoot comfortably, get real RX safety glasses.

I have to say that I tried ALL of the insert type glasses, and none of them were ever very good, at least for 3-gun. the lenses were just to small for good rifle and shotgun shooting, for pistol they seemed ok but not great. Then a guy said give Decote Hy-Wides a try. I NEVER looked back. They are made by shooters for shooters, they work great for rifle and shotgun as well as pistol. They have a great interchangeable lens system and they are really thick poly carbon lenses. Safe, and extreamly clear. I wouldn't go back to the insert style of glasses EVER!! I got a set of clear and 80% gray lenses, they interchange in literally seconds. It took less than 10 days to get them. Don't mess around get Decote! KURTM

One reason why my Rudy Project RB3s work well for me is because the prescription insert has tiny lenses and they sit really close to your eyes. The eliminates much of the problem with being in a weird position that has you looking through the wrong part of your lens or into a solid part of the frames.

• 12 years later...

I have the same issue. I contacted my eye doctor and he said bring my gun in and we will get me set up. I previously purchased a ESS Crossbow set that wraps around  lenses and inserts for prescription glass behind. It can be ordered with different colored lenses that just snap in. My non-dormant eye was set as my normal prescription tri-focal lense. My dormant eye was set at a prescription that focused that eye on the back side of my front sight. I went with ESS for the price and they work well. There are better models that others have mentioned.

jay