Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up a Nova for 3-gun?

Notlongago

Hello all. I have decided I want to dip a toe into competition shooting and I believe I have a the rifle and pistol equipment good to start with, but still question marks when it comes to shotgun.

I have looked enough around here and other forums and the concenus seems to be don't buy a "starter gun" and either use a pump, borrow, or save for a M2, VersaMax, etc.

Well I have an 8-9 year old Nova that I used as a turkey gun until I got a deal on a mossy 835. So the question is: what do I need/what should I do to the Nova to set it up for a 3-gun competition? Obviously a mag extension (to bring capacity up to 9?), and I may change sights, but not sure if there is anything else I need to do to it, so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Thanks!

Start with the extension, open up the loading port, stone and polish the action bars, break the sharp edge on the extractor groove, polish the extractor and bolt locking lugs, add whatever front sight you prefer and go have fun. Try shooting slugs before adding a rear sight. The guys at Mad Possum will offer a few more mods, but this will get you started.

Edited by co-exprs

I'm running a nova. Just started shooting 3 gun this spring. First couple matches I didn't have a tube extension, but I do know. I put a champion fiber optic sight on it to force my head down on the stock more when shooting static steel. But other than that, those are the only changes to the gun i've made. I just keep shooting it. Main thing i've found is to practice loading, and then practice more. If your proficient with a pump, you'll be fine. Some day I might get it slickedup, but that some day is a long ways off.

Here is a link to my gunzoo vault where you can see the specs on my Nova that Trapr Swanson built.

www.gunzoo.com/vault/JesseTischauser

I'm on a phone so I probably missed it, but how many rounds is that mag extension tube?

Thanks

The tube is a +9 Nordic Components. A stock nova holds 4+1 so the gun holds 13+1.

Here is a link to my gunzoo vault where you can see the specs on my Nova that Trapr Swanson built.

I'm on a phone so I probably missed it, but how many rounds is that mag extension tube?

Thanks

The tube is a +9 Nordic Components. A stock nova holds 4+1 so the gun holds 13+1.

Oh wow, wasn't expecting that.

It looks like it only sticks out about 3-4"...would a 7 round extension be approximately flush with the 24" barrel?

Thanks

It looks like it only sticks out about 3-4"...would a 7 round extension be approximately flush with the 24" barrel?

That would be a question for Nordic Components. Ken and Ryan at Nordic just finished 3rd and 4th with their Novas at The big shotgun match the host. They know their $hit!

Thanks

The Nordic +5 tube is a close match for the 24 Nova barrel

Notlongago, on 05 Aug 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

Jesse Tischauser, on 05 Aug 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

Notlongago, on 05 Aug 2013 - 6:50 PM, said:

Jesse Tischauser, on 04 Aug 2013 - 4:46 PM, said:

Thanks

I have a plus 6 on a 28" barrel and it sticks out about 3/4" this gives me 11 rounds total.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks

Hi Jesse,

You mentioned that your Nova uses a +9 tube but your picture describes a +6 tube (10+1 in the text). I am guessing that is the +6 in the picture, correct?

TIA,

Chuck

Here is a link to my gunzoo vault where you can see the specs on my Nova that Trapr Swanson built.www.gunzoo.com/vault/JesseTischauser

I'm on a phone so I probably missed it, but how many rounds is that mag extension tube?Thanks
Hi Jesse,You mentioned that your Nova uses a +9 tube but your picture describes a +6 tube (10+1 in the text). I am guessing that is the +6 in the picture, correct?TIA,Chuck

That tube is much shorter than what I am using now. It must be a 9-10 round total capacity setup.

Here is what it looks like with 13+1 round capacity.

F0834058-A917-44D8-839A-BCA71FFCED21-483

I just purchased a Nova and want to set it up for 3 gun and IPSC as well. I will buy the magazine extension and put fiber optics on it. I would like to know if there is a shell carrier that I can purchase? I see Mesa makes one for the Super Nova, will it fit on a Nova?

To put on the gun? You don't want to do that for competition.