Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD-m-4.5 vs. 5.25

Wilson

I have both and shoot them both in IDPA. They are close enough that you can use either. I mainly use the 5.25 because of the fiber sights - and my daughter took my 4.5.:-)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

My first xdm was a 4.5 9mm. Then I got a 4.5 .40. Then I got a 5.25 .40 about 6 months ago. I just ordered another 5.25 .40 today.

Generally speaking, I like the 5.25 better than the 4.5 but there are a couple things I don't like about the 5.25. The chamber in my 4.5 .40 is tighter than the 5.25 and is actually faster by about 5 fps. The chamber on my 5.25 is pretty loose. It's so loose that I get a bulge in the middle of the case. Picture a Glock bulge, but not as bad and higher up the case wall. It's sort of annoying because I'm starting to get brass failures/cracks on brass at the apex of the bulge. This is on brass that's been fired about 3-4 times and the load is nowhere near max.

I think my 4.5 is also slightly more accurate than the 5.25 when shooting off bags. I chalk it up to the loose chamber in the 5.25. If you were hoping to gain more velocity and accuracy from the 5.25 like I was, you may be disappointed. However, I like that the 5.25 is slightly heavier and I also really like the adjustable rear sight which is what tips the scale in preferring the 5.25.

Hopefully, the second 5.25 I ordered will come with a tighter chamber. I think an aftermarket Bar-Sto match barrel may be in order this winter when I have some down time to send the gun off.

Edited by d_striker

I had the same questions last year and ended up buying a 5.25 and sold my 4.5. While I like the gun and do not have any regrets, I do not shoot one bit better with it than with the 4.5. To do it all over again I would spend the money on ammo and I suspect that better match scores would follow...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It was moved to SSP if there are no externally visible modifications. Let's say you put in the Powder River overtravel stop trigger, you stay in ESP, which was the the division the XDMs were in before the NRB.

Edited by GreenDragon64