Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much ammo?

I am going to be going to my first USPSA match (work permitting of course) this weekend and I was wondering how much ammo you would need to shoot a match? I'm guessing the round count might be kinda high? Also how many mags and mag holders should I bring with me? I'm not a salty pro so I don't really do "backup guns" in case mine breaks. I've got four mags, one mag holder and about 150 rounds, but I feel this might not be enough.

Is it a smaller match? I don't think you normally use more than 150. If you can bring more, it probably wouldnt hurt though. I have seen people run out of ammo a few times, and everytime there's someone willing to either sell/give them some to help them finish the day out. Everyone is always friendly!

The club may have a web site that posts stages and round count. As a rule of thumb, I like to have 50 rounds on my belt/pocket to begin a stage. For me that's 4 mags on belt and one to make ready. I would think single stack would want at least 5 on belt and one to make ready. So at least 6 mags, maybe 7.

Generally the rules limit stages to 32 rounds. I like to bring 50 rounds per stage of the match. So if it's going to be a five stage match bring 250 rounds. It's always good to have some extra in case you have a reshoot.

For magazines it's going to depend on capacity, but I would say a minimum of four. If you are shooting Production that will only give you forty rounds, so you won't have much leeway as to where you do your mag changes. In Limited you really only need two magazines, but every once in a while it's better to do an extra reload depending on how the stage is designed.

I always bring 300 rounds to local matches, but usually only need half that. Like money, horsepower or altitude (for the pilots in the crowd) no one ever is sorry they have too much. Magazines are division dependent, for the average person who has never shot a uspsa match, my advise is bring what you have, the club can help you pick a division. Long term that is likely production, but you may not initially have the right equipment and so limited may be a better pick. Focus on safety first, fun second and how you place last. Don't be afraid to tell everyone you are new. They will help you with safety, strategy and rules.

I like to have a lot of extra ammo. The match may only be 160 rounds but you will need more. You have to factor in for plate racks Texas stars etc. that you may not go one for one on. For example, I have seen some shooters dump 20 extra round into the berm while trying to shoot a polish plate rack that was at a farther than "normal" distance. I just shot a match last month where there was a range failure and I had to do a reshoot. That cost me 28 extra rounds. When you start the last stage you will most likely want 50 ish rounds on your belt because you will be dropping mags with ammo still in them. It is always a good idea to have an extra mag or two more than you think you will need for the stage.

So when you factor in misses, the small possibility of a reshoot, and some extra ammo for the last stage, I like to bring 250 rounds for our local matches. Like others have said, it is a good idea to find out the round count of you particular match.

MORE IS ALWAYS BETTER!

Talked to some of the seasoned shooters during set up this morning. They say 150 ought to be enough, but to bring 200 just in case. I'm bringing 250, and I've just picked up an additional mag holder. Belt mounted instead of the crappy paddle holster I have. Thanks for the help everybody! I'll be shooting production with my glock 34. First match baby! I can't wait!

Edited by 45dotACP