Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

who makes a good forward falling popper?

conrad

I'm looking for a good forward falling popper. I've seen one that you lift the popper and use your foot to set the latch. I really like that cause you don't have to bend over twice. Does anyone know where I can find something like that? Or maybe even better?

I pull the pin on my poppers and re-install the popper backward, and I have a forward faller. I built these, so, I don't know if they will all convert that way? Maybe you can use any popper?? Just a thought...

I have forward falling steel from MGM and Gunsteel.

The MGM is the way to go. Its chief advantage over the gunsteel is the fact that it can be calibrated using the bolts. The gunsteel poppers cannot. They need to be propped up on a board if the ground is not level.

The MGM forward falling steel make for a shorter day. When I have a steel heavy match and need to bring out my Gunsteel poppers, I brace myself for some reshoots.

Ted

Huh?

I've never had a problem with this mechanism on the Gunsteel forward falling poppers:

Gizmo%209%20weeks%20007.jpg

It's basically a metal hook that is held in the up position by friction. The popper is hit by a bullet, is knocked back just momentarily, and the hook drops down because of gravity, which then lets the popper fall forward.

• 3 years later...

I can 100% recommend forward fallers from North Salt Lake Welding and Fabrication http://nslwelding.com/. We just finished running the 2016 Utah state match and used nothing but these poppers and had zero problems. I was the CRO for a stage with three poppers and through the entire match never needed to call for calibration or make any adjustments. The reset on them is foot activated, easy to use, and very positive. There is no leaning over and fumbling with a little hook or anything like that. They are either reset correctly or they will not stay standing - it's almost impossible to reset them incorrectly. We had some very strong winds during the match and even then the poppers worked perfectly - and I know from previous experience that the poppers our club used to use would have been falling over in the wind unless they were set very heavy and then we'd have fought the calibration.

5 minutes ago, JimF38sup said:

Nobody makes a GOOD forward falling popper. They all increase your time as it takes time to determine you got a good hit or you assume and have to come back. 

I also really don't like forward fallers but if they slow you down you are doing something wrong. As you progress in the sport you will learn to call your shot, shoot them and move on. If they are set right they should fall when hit properly so they are really no different than regular poppers in that regard. NOW, whats funny is watching guys try to drive them down with multiple shots. Nothing like free entertainment!:lol:

You are assuming I am new to the sport. Been shooting 20+ years open for 18 years, and yes I have double tapped a forward falling popper - one time with a 9x25. It will stay up until you run out of ammo or figure it out that it falls forward. 

I can call my shots, and I do shoot on the move, but they still slow you down. When hit properly they move backward, pause then fall forward. It would not be a problem if all poppers fell forward. Only one club (out of four locally) uses them and most I shoot with there do not like them. 

16 minutes ago, JimF38sup said:

You are assuming I am new to the sport. Been shooting 20+ years open for 18 years, and yes I have double tapped a forward falling popper - one time with a 9x25. It will stay up until you run out of ammo or figure it out that it falls forward. 

I can call my shots, and I do shoot on the move, but they still slow you down. When hit properly they move backward, pause then fall forward. It would not be a problem if all poppers fell forward. Only one club (out of four locally) uses them and most I shoot with there do not like them. 

Then I take back everything I said except you're doing it wrong. Shoot them and move the heck on! If you are seeing them move back and trip and rock and sway and paint chip then fall forward etc, you have been wasting time for 20+ years. 

Edited to add: I just realized this is a 3 year old thread. Thought it was a new one!:lol:

Edited by Sarge

On 9/5/2016 at 1:25 PM, HDGoose said:

I can 100% recommend forward fallers from North Salt Lake Welding and Fabrication http://nslwelding.com/. We just finished running the 2016 Utah state match and used nothing but these poppers and had zero problems.

I assume y'all actually adjusted the poppers after A1, lol. At a1 they were brand new, and not everyone adjusted the catches properly (I adjusted the ones on my stage). We also had no reshoots or calibration issues, but if they aren't adjusted right initially, they won't work right. They did seem very sturdy and reliable, but of course they were brand new. My only other experience is with mgm and ours have alot of miles on them, but they also still work very well. Both companies support shooting sports and seem to back up their products.

doh! I got sucked into a zombie thread?!!!!

braaaaaaaaiiinnnns!

Edited by motosapiens

6 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I assume y'all actually adjusted the poppers after A1, lol. At a1 they were brand new, and not everyone adjusted the catches properly (I adjusted the ones on my stage). We also had no reshoots or calibration issues, but if they aren't adjusted right initially, they won't work right. They did seem very sturdy and reliable, but of course they were brand new. My only other experience is with mgm and ours have alot of miles on them, but they also still work very well. Both companies support shooting sports and seem to back up their products.

doh! I got sucked into a zombie thread?!!!!

braaaaaaaaiiinnnns!

And I revived the zombie thread!

Yes, we completely adjusted all of them before we setup the stages for UT state. They were brand new at A1 but our club has used the crap out of them since then and we're still really happy with them. 

Edited by HDGoose

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2016 at 11:47 AM, Sarge said:

I also really don't like forward fallers but if they slow you down you are doing something wrong. As you progress in the sport you will learn to call your shot, shoot them and move on. If they are set right they should fall when hit properly so they are really no different than regular poppers in that regard. NOW, whats funny is watching guys try to drive them down with multiple shots. Nothing like free entertainment!:lol:

umm yeah that would be me. In my neck of the woods forward fallers are becoming de rigueur. Primarily due to the perceived (real?) safety benefit of deflecting bullets downwards. they are also a tiny little bit easier to use as activators for swingers and drop turners etc I guess. 

I rolled up to a stage this last weekend. I was second shooter. the final array was 4 poppers one behind the other and 4 tiny 4inch square steel plates (in a row left to right behind and above the poppers). I didn't watch the first guy (d'oh) and assumed (double d'oh) that no one would use forward falling poppers in that kind of array (the whole fun of that kind of array is gun down the 4 poppers as fast as you can). so I let rip with 5 shots thinking that would get them all. got 5 nice dings and as I'm transitioning to the first tiny plate I see that i somehow cleared the first one, then stood the second one up with the next 4 shots... 2 poppers left. The RO laughed at the end and said "I really enjoyed you standing that popper up". well I'm glad someone was happy.

They were a nice design. Fairly lightweight base (must be pegged into the ground). big hook on the back to pick them up and then a lever you activate with your foot. they sit up against a spring that keeps them forward against the latch nicely. the latch is very heavy too so they go a bit faster as the tiniest movement back will drop the latch out. also the popper is secured in the base.

at my club we now have ones that can be used as both forward and rear falling. the hassle is the bases are fairly heavy (2 piece design) and the popper falls out of it's groove so you have to pick it up and put it in the groove, then fumble with the latch. They are nicely made but the design could be improved on. at least if we stack 4 or 5 of them nuts to buts you can be sure they are rear falling..... or can you? lol.