Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

125 gr 9mm Round Nose and Lone Wolf Barrel

MarvinGardens

I just finished going through some posts on this topic (yep used the search facility) but wanted to ask the question anyway. I'm a new metallic reloader. I use a Redding T-7 turret press - currently using the Lee 4 die set including FCD. My hand loaded cartridges cycle flawlessly through my Glock 19 using the Glock barrel, they fit easily in my 9mm Lyman case gage, and caliper measurements at various places on the cartridge indicate the size is within specifications.

The problem comes when I try and use my Lone Wolf barrel. I loaded a few in a magazine and the cartridge prevented te gun from going to full battery (I had a heck of a time geting the slide off. At first I thought the cases were 'Glocked' .. but after running through the resizing die and pressing the primer in, I tried the ker plunk test - everything fit just fine. The problem seems to come in after I seat the bullet. I'm using Oregon Trail .356 125 gr round nose - and if it matters - 3.2 gr of Clays powder. Looking at the powder level in the case, I don't think we're compressing anything. The bullet is seated to provide an OAL of 1.13 per Oregon Trail specs. Based on my (albeit newbie) obervations and measurements, I don't think the problem is a bulge at the back of the case.

I know Lone Wolf will ream the barrel if I send some dummy loads and $30 ... but I don't know if there is anything else to try first. I've read where people have solved this problem with the Lee Factory Crimp Die but I've never read how they had it adjusted. I've got it set at the factory recommended setting of 1/2 turn past contact witth the top of the bullet

I don't want to arbitrarily shorten the cartridge as the reloading manuals I have (ABCs of Reloading, Lymans Cast Bullets, Hodgdons) all go out of their way to caution about raising pressures that way.

I have a Lee U die on back order but as I mentioned earlier, I don't believe that is going to solve the problem as the resized case fits the Lone Wolf barrel just fine until I seat the bullet. I don't know if going to a .355 bullet would make difference. Bullets are scarce as hens teeth where I'm at.

Right now I'm puzzled. As I mentioned earlier, the finished round fits in my Lyman 9mm case gage just fine. The OAL of the cartridges are at the bullet manuifacturers specification. Hopefully, attached are the measured dimensions of a cartridge that I've made that fits the Glock barrel, my Lyman case gage, but won't fit in the Lone Wolf barrel. Any thoughts?

post-48701-0-47715500-1373253962_thumb.j

Edited by MarvinGardens

The problem lies in the lone wolf barrel. The rifling start .2 of an inch sooner than most other barrels and your bullet is getting stuck in the rifling. You can send your barrel into lone wolf and the can ream your camber for a small few. I just went threw the same thing with some bullets I bought from Canada. Sorry but your going to have to find other bullets or another barrel.

Had the same problem myself with my 9mm LW barrels. I had to load down to 1.09 to make them chamber. The short leade contacts the full diamater of the bullet before the gun goes into battery. Looks like LW would fix the short leade problem. I'll likely have a local smith fix mine and save time and shipping. Meanwhile, I'm using the Glock barrels. They work just fine.

RR

Call back LW. Tell them your a Member of Glock Talk and you want the GT Hole. He will do it for free. He got butchered over there and finally agreed to fix those barrels for free. JR is his name. Good luck. Join GT and come say hi in the reloading section as well. On another note. Most lead bullets load pretty short. I load to 1.080 for my 143 gr lead bullets in my KKM barrel. That is normal.

• 3 weeks later...

I see that "JR" no longer is a GATE mod. I'm getting a G19 Lone Wolf Barrel I'm told was testing for lead. Then I found out only 5 rounds, so I may need the GT hole. Thanks for the heads up,I don't remember reading the fix for free. It was a very interesting thread though.

Edited by MichiganTom