Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally - The Perfect Open Gun Optic

jid2

Back when I first started shooting USPSA a few years ago I quickly realized that the current state of optics was leaving a lot to be desired. I penciled out the idea for an optic that placed the lens directly over the slide and didn't create blind spots - that was a few years ago. My project to do list finally got to the point where designing and building this new scope was at the top and I started working on it about 2 months ago in my free-time. I've been talking about it buried inside of some other threads here on the forum, but wanted to at least share in the actual open division area.

I just shot it in a full match yesterday, and it performed perfectly. I performed ok, I'm pretty rusty from spending my free-time working on the new gun and optic and not shooting. It's really nice to have perfect vision into the ejection port area, just like on a regular gun. You can see when you chamber a round, clear it, and there is nothing in the way during ejection. Of course the glass directly over the slide is awesome, and I like a thumb rest so having it built into the sight mount feels incredible.

I'm heading out to the Northwest Multigun this week and am excited to put some more rounds through it.

Edited by jid2

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll be there in squad 9. i wanna check it out.

I'm in squad 10, so that should be easy if we are on the same AM/PM schedule.

Edited by jid2

Hmmmmm. So what are your plans for this?

All alphas! This is mostly a proof of concept, it needs some tweaks and custom glass. But I'm in the planning stages of figuring out what to do next. For now I'm going to keep shooting this and work on the next version as time allows.

Edited by jid2

Finally, someone took the "internals" out from under the lens! :cheers: You are on to something here. But then, you already know that :bow:

Its funny because my original thought while installing my 1st cmore was "Why does it take so much space to power an LED, and why is it directly in the line of sight over the slide."

Well im in, if/when it hits production I would suggest having the thumb rest removeable vs part of the body.

Looks really good though, be great when you can produce these since it looks way better than the 90 mounts

Wow, now that has to be the most interesting thing I've seen in a long long time. Very cool design. You can always tell when a shooter builds something for shooters. I'll be watching this closely as it develops. Great job!!!

You've basically solved all of the problems with brass bouncing off the scope mount & back into the ejection port without going to a 90 degree mount. Awesome!! I'm in if this gets into production.

been thinking of building an open gun for years, but always hated the optics we had to choose from. Luckily I saw the images before you removed them. Eagerly awaiting a production date. I think you have this of ouf the park. I also think you may have found a solution for those wanting a good RDS on a carry pistol, but aren't happy with the slide mounted options. This is pretty low profle and should be workable with a lots of ccw type holsters.